Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody.. i recently bought a 2004 echo hatchback, and was wondering if anybody has a link to some specs on the sound system in it, or if they know it off hand. I was mainly wondering about the sizes of the speakers, but also was wondering if buying an aftermarket system is worth the hassle, as i work in an audio place, and i get dealer cost -30%.
Thanks in advance for any responses!!
-Nate

·
Registered
2 Posts
Factory Radio

I think all factory radios from Toyota are Fujitsu TEN division. Haven't been able to find any specification on my MP3 radio either. But the back of the manual say Fujitsu TEN

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
4 inchers on the dash, and I think they are 6 or 6.5 in the doors Front stage only (no rear speakers).

Dynamat the crap out of it and it would sound alright. A small sub is also in order. Rear speakers are not however...the front only staging was better than I would have thought!

Bob

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
You actually don't notice it much. I thought I would too, but the image is far superior...if you can deaden the rattles...

·
Registered
5 Posts
the stock units are ... crap;)
35W Max and only a sub out...I think - replaced almost immediately so I can't remember.
I agree that the front stage system is okay, though the speakers definately have to go (looks like a 3.5-4 on the dash and 6.5 in the door). A sub would make the sound fuller, and some sound wrap would fix the rattles and road noise. I will still try and install a set of rear speakers (it would have to be in the deck as I think boxes would hit the headrests when the hatch opens and pulls the deck up. Of course this means that an already tiny 'trunk' will be non-existant:rolleyes: keep us posted though eh.

BTW - I got a JVC head unit...MP3/WMA. Plans are for an MTX or Kicker Sub (dual 8" or single 10" - don't think a 12 would fit), and decent replacements for the stock speakers (Infinity maybe - Rockford amps to run all).
have fun:thumbup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speaks/Subs

Great! Thanks for your replies. I already have a Pana CQC5410 Deck (MP3, WMA,, blah blah) retails for $330, i paid $210! :D Im changing my speakers (of which i now know the sizes) to Fusion Powerplant 4"T and 6.5". Theyre a company out of New Zealand that i just started carrying in the electronics shop i workk at, and i get dealer cost -30% on all their product, meaning that im getting about $280 worth of speakers for around $100.
Unfortunately i have to go straight through the company for those, so i wont see them for around a month.

I was also thinking of getting a 12" Fusion Jonah Lomu sub and powerplant FP9001D (1100W monoblock amp), retail $699 and $1199. I'd pay $250 and $450! This would be a wicked setup, and I'd be able to add another sub if i wanted to later.
I don't think I'd need a capacitor if i get another sub, but it would be nice to do a nice little display if i can with a custom box. It looks like about a month and my system will be complete, but itll be sooo nice. Ill post some pics to keep you guys up to date when i get my speaks/subs in.

Ciao!
Nate

P.S: Car audio has REALLY good markup, about 2x that of any other electronics, so you CAN hassle the salesman and get a better deal. Do NOT pay full retail for it if you dont have to.! ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I BOUGHT MY O4 HATCH (CE) WITH THE STANDARD CASSETTE AND TWO FRONT SPEAKERS (SOUNDED LIKE A $29.OO RADIO SHACK GHETTO BLASTER)....DIDN'T EVEN INSTALL THE CASSETTE...PUT A PIONEER CASSETTE IN...6 PACK CD CHANGER UNDER THE FRONT SEAT...6 X 9'S IN THE REAR HATCH COVER...SOUNDS GOOD.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
Yep. Hatch gone. I picked up a cheap bazooka tube ($90 NIB...can't really go wrong) and put that in to fill out the sound. Now that the level is tuned, all is quite well for a factory setup.

BTW, the stock echo stereos have no sub out. I had to tap into the door speaker wires for high level input, but it was quite easy to do and works surprisingly well on admittedly an only alright sounding sub. Lack of a power antenna wire also leaves a problem in trying a remote turn on, so I used the bazooka built in auto on/off feature. Needless to say, I'll be building a relay off the ignition shortly, as this only somewhat works alright (low volume, turns itself off constantly).

Bob

·
And his Gold 2dr Echo HB
4 Posts
Hello. Can anyone else confirm that the 2005 Echo hatchback uses 4 inches dash speakers and 6.5 inches front door speakers. Also, anyone know the mounting depth that is available? Finally, do the cabling is pre-installed to the doors mounting point? Thanks a lot!

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
Yes, size is correct. No one I can remember posted the depth...check echodrivers.com/forums. I know the optional subwoofer harness isn't there, so you might need to run more wires.

Bob

·
And his Gold 2dr Echo HB
4 Posts
I began playing with my Echo HB sound system. Dash speakers are definitively 4 inchs. I got and then easily installed a pair of Cerwin-Vega HED-142. Nice upgrade over the factory originals.

Doors are a little more tricky. I went to a pro install place and we opened up the pannels. As I got only the basic cassette system at purchase time, there were no speakers in doors. There also seemed to lack some plastic mounting baffle people had described, only a hole in the sheet metal. I had brought a pair of cheap 5.25 woofers I had laying around. They were too small to fit in the factory hole alone and were also too deep. We conclued that the best thing to do was to construct a MDF shim and then install some shallow 6.5 woofers.

Sooooooo, I ordered a pair of such speakers, namely Kicker RMB6. They are intended to be used as mid-bass in high-end multi-way systems, but are also tough enough to be used as "free-air subs". They are only 2 inches deep, despite being 250 watts each.

I'm waiting on them being delivered and I'll post more after the installation is complete.

Finally, it appears that speaker cables from the radio are cabled up to the A-pillar but not over to the door.

Regards,

·
Registered
367 Posts
Deromax said:
Finally, it appears that speaker cables from the radio are cabled up to the A-pillar but not over to the door.
Unless you already have the 4-speaker setup that comes in the LE/RS...You could just get a line-out convertor and add a sub in the rear...I think someone has used the Scion xA/xB line-out convertor on the stock Echo deck to add a subwoofer before...I'm sure that's what the factory sub uses, unfortunately Toyota won't sell the wiring separately...

Cheers

·
And his Gold 2dr Echo HB
4 Posts
Thanks, but I don't want a sub in that car. I already have a nice, loud system in my summer car. The Echo is my winter beater, if you will ;) so, just above minimal sound in it!

Second, the trunk is already so small...

Third, a rear sub coupled with only 4 inches front is not going to be anywhere near usefull. There would be a hole in the frequency response, let alone any believable front stage. Hence my wanting front *woofers*, not sub-woofer.

Finally, car is rental so minimal installation, again.

Regards,

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI Folks,
i have a 2005 echo HB and i'm wanting to improve the audio -- i'm thinking of replacing the speakers with Focal ISS-165 which would give me 6.5" in the doors and tweeters in the dash. Does anyone know whether i will hear noticeable improvement in the sound quality if i go this route without replacing the CD/radio or adding an amp or a sub?

·
Registered
Toyota 87 pickup
379 Posts
goto crutchfield.com....See what fits.

No, I swapped out my smaller speakers to 6.5, Improvement yes, but if you thinking a 6.5" speaker is gonna act like a sub you are pushing your luck... Especially with the stock radio. Get a Sub box, and for gods sake...replace that crap stock unit with something better. Plus replace all the speakers.

Altho, this really depends on what you are expecting and what kind of music you are listening to. But having a head unit that will play 5million songs on a 64 gig flash drive, and 3 extra for charging things like cell phones and gps. Plus sub out's. to just plug and play an extra bass unit for 80 bucks is a winner in my book.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Holy thread revival, Batman.

While you guys are talking tho, I have an issue.

I was gonna replace my speakers and maybe add a sub, but my trunk is 100% occupied by a propane tank (it's converted to run on propane) so I've had to get creative with mounting.

My ideas so far are build a new centre-console box with a space for a sub and cup-holders mounted much higher. I wouldn't mind this idea as much if the shifter and handbrake weren't so awkwardly placed. My second idea is put it under the passenger seat and put the passenger seat on small risers.

If I have to go through that much trouble is it really worth it? I'm wondering if I'd be happy enough with just replacing the speakers and maybe dynamatting the doors.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If I have to go through that much trouble is it really worth it? I'm wondering if I'd be happy enough with just replacing the speakers and maybe dynamatting the doors.
Considering your space constraints, I would do a speaker replacement with a 4-channel amplifier install. Just replacing the speakers will leave you wanting (especially because you're even considering a sub), but powering them with an amp will really bring them to life and you'll be far more satisfied with your replacement speakers. An amp can be hidden under a front seat, attached to the back of a rear seat, under the rear speaker deck, etc. Far more viable option IMO especially with the trunk mostly out of the picture.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts