Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yet another question... does toyota use their "own" manufactured oil? was it cheap recycled oil/lube? mobil? valvoline or walmart cheap grade oil?

I have free oil changes,, when I called toyota Richmond hill and inquired about "upgrading to sysnthetic" the advisor told me I have to pay 70$ for the difference...I can purchase a mobil 1 for 30$.. So does this mean that toyotoa supplied synthetic oil are genuine toyota? if its an after market oil why would toyota dealership charge for 70$ for a syntheic oil change..

·
Registered
Toyota Matrix
107 Posts
At the dealer I work for, we use Genuine Toyota oil that is made by Mobil. Mobil makes 5w30,10w30, & 5w20 for Toyota. The only fully synthetic oil Mobil makes for Toyota is 0w20. Personaly, I only use 5w30 at 3k intervals in my base Matrix (55k), and my 96 Corolla (over 100k) with out any problems.
The reason you pay more for Mobil 1 at the dealer is because they buy it for about the same price you do, and of course they are in buisness to make a money, not to loose it or break even, and they inflate the price.
If a customer were to bring thier own oil, we would not have a problem with that.

·
Registered
2007 Matrix XR
16 Posts
I asked the same thing last week

at my local dealership. The service manager told me they use a group IV 5w30 as recommended by TMC. I didn't see the label on the bottle, so I can't answer that part of your question. However, since this was the 3000 mile service on my '07 Matrix, I trusted the dealership to know what was required by warranty. And it cost about $24.

Now, as to whether a group IV based oil is synthetic, or semi-synthetic, what %polyalphaolefin a particular oil contains, etc ... that's a whole 'nuther debate. Hopefully you've done your homework on the topic, so you know that the bottles of Mobil1 you can buy at WallyWorld or elsewhere are not the same formula as they were a couple years back, that the current Mobil1 is similar to Castrol's after Castrol won the suit on the "semi-synthetic" label classification, etc.

·
Registered
Toyota Matrix
107 Posts
Toyota motor oil is manufactured by Mobil. The 1 quart black bottle will be clearly labled
"Genuine Toyota motor oil" Ask your parts department to show you what they are putting in your car. Toyota dealers are not bound by any contracts by TMC to use their oil. It;s not realy clear, but here is a pic of bottles Toyota motor oil, The shape of he bottles have changed since this picture. http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/parts-service/toyota_parts/motoroil.html

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi mickeyd,, may I ask you,, is the toyota coolant premixed? I 'm having different answers and I wanted to be sure..
thanks

·
Registered
Toyota Matrix
107 Posts
In 2004, Toyota started using a premix in all vehicles (pn 00272-SLLC2), with the 1st interval change at 100k, then every 50k after that. We still use the non premix on Toyotas 2003 & back (pn 00272-1LLAC) every 30k.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
had an oil change at richmond hill toyota . I've never had an experience with dealership service and maybe you can give your inputs..

on the service receipt it says ::

REPLACE ENGINE OIL ANDOIL FILTER. LUBRICATE LOCKS, LATCHES AND HINGES, INSPECT AIR FILTER ELEMENT, LIGHTS HORN AND WIPRS, CHECK COOLANT, BATTERY aND WASHER FLUID LEVEL. INSPECT TIRES FOR WEAR. CHECK ADJUST TIRE PRESSURES, COURTESY VEHICLE CARWASH..

I was in the customer waiting area where I can see my car being serviced. They did the oil chnage but never did the rest of the work mentioned above.. Is this mandatory? or are they cutting corners...

When they returned my car, I checked the washer fluid and its not topped up. No car wash either...

I arrived home and let the car sit for an hour I checked the oil level and it was 1cm above the full mark.. an AFAIK it would create bubble and damaged the cam shaft???

to toyota service people here,, what is your say on my exprience.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would go back to dealership with respect to adding too much oil. Take a picture of the oil level measurement (with date) and what else was not done.

Then tell the service adviser that nothing else was done (based on your own inspection).

If they are truly concern about your problem, your next oil change will be free.

If not write a letter to the dealership and Toyota Canada (include documents and pictures)

·
Registered
Toyota Matrix
107 Posts
1cm above the full line? I'ts not going to hurt your engine one bit. I had a 90 Celica ST since new, the owners manual called for 3.8 qts oil, I would just pour in 4 qts, I never had a problem. I sold it 97 with 78k on it. The rest of the things listed are "extras" that some dealers at no charge to you during an oil change to show a customer that that they care about you & your car in hope that you wil return agian. If you decide to return to the dealer again, mention to your A.S.M. what you decribed above and I'm sure it will get done.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok got another set of oil change,,, but this time its .5 centimeter above full mark,,, i also noticed the tech did'nt actually look at the dip stick.. seems like the oil hose/reservoir is pre-programmed to fill in an amount of oil. you know like in mc donalds where they just press the large button for a large cup.

well.. so much for that,, i just dont get it.. why did toyota put the full mark and not follow it...

i also read in the prius forum that if the oil is above full mark it decreaes the MPG..

·
Registered
03' Matrix XRS 6sp
109 Posts
As long as the oil doesn't foam because of excess, it's OK if it's a little over. And you are correct, some dealers say "X" size engine gets "X" qts. For example, my 2004 Tacoma's manual states 5.8 qts as the fill. When I changed the oil the first time, I put in 5.8 qts. After driving to work, I checked it and it was way over. I ended up draining 1 full qt. I contacted Toyota Corporate and my local dealer. I was informed by Corporate that the manual was correct but the "proper" oil change procedure was to gradually fill to the "high" mark on the dipstick. My local Toyota told me that they put in 4.5 qts in a 4 cylinder, regardless.

This is the issue you may have. If you are concerned, slowly drain out the excess and see what the difference is vs what the manual says. One quarter to a half quart is not a super deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I work in the automotive service industry and this is what i know from experience.

Toyota and other automotive car company don't make oil and oil filters. Most of their products are made buy other companies and labeled as toyota.

Whatever is printed on your service receipt should have been done because that is a liability. When i give a customer a service receipt i always check that everything has been done that is on the receipt.

With the oil pass the full mark on your dipstick it's not uncommon for this to happen. Time is money and believe me oil change is a service that shops don't make money. The best procedure in making sure that a car get the right amount of oil is to put 3.5L (4 cylinder engine) start the car for 10sec, turn it off, let the car sit of 1min, check the dipstick, if the oil on the dipstick indicate that it .5cm below the full mark that is perfect.

Overfilling an engine with oil will not damage an engine in most cases. Having oil pass the full mark by a 1cm is not a problem with most small cars and it will have a very small effect on your gas mileage. Vehicles that take a lot of oil and vehicles that have their crankshaft submerge in oil will have more of a problem with having to much oil.

This is just a general measurement.

On your dipstick you have a low and full mark. Measure the distance between the low mark and the full mark. example. 1" is the distance between low and full mark. If the oil is over by a 1/4" then i have 1/4L more of oil.

·
Registered
03' Matrix XRS 6sp
109 Posts
To expand on the brand/type of oil a little:

"Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" isn't what the dealer uses for oil changes. That's what they sell OTC to the customer. For example, my local dealer sells TGMO over the counter but uses Castrol (bulk) for oil changes (Walmart was Quaker State but may change to Castrol). I'm assuming here that whatever Toyota gets for their TGMO is from the lowest bidder as long as it meets their oil standards and will vary from location to location.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Toyota motor oil is manufactured by Mobil. The 1 quart black bottle will be clearly labled
"Genuine Toyota motor oil" Ask your parts department to show you what they are putting in your car. Toyota dealers are not bound by any contracts by TMC to use their oil. It;s not realy clear, but here is a pic of bottles Toyota motor oil, The shape of he bottles have changed since this picture. http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/parts-service/toyota_parts/motoroil.html
i like you to stand there and watch them open each black bottle and pour it in doing a oil change --- won't happen comes bulk from a barrel it's a blend not full synthetic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts