Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was wondering what makes the 4x4 on Toyota different?(better in my experience). Are they lighter?, have better transfer case and drive line balance?. I had a Dodge Dakota 4x4(92, 5.2 v8) and got stuck all the time and I mean all the time. I lost faith in 4x4's and bought a car. A few years later I bought some land in the bush and had to get a 4x4 pickup to access it. I bought a 95 v6 and I cant get it stuck(snow or mud)!! and I have tried. I love this truck. I was just wondering if anyone had any good info.

Thanks in advance

BTW, this forum is awesome. Thanks for all the knowledge(just advanced my timing a little and got a nice little boost. 87 octane, no ping)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Some of it has to do with weigh. a big part has to do with the tires and overall ride height.

If you let me drive your truck, I guarantee that I can get it stuck in snow or mud with no trouble.

Having built many 4x4's over the years, I can tell you that it has little to do with the rig and more to do with the rig's setup and how it is driven. I run my truck without lockers and often go places where guys with lockers cant. Sometimes the tables are turned though.

Of course the fact that your old dakota really wasn't a truck that was designed for offroad use has a lot to do with it as well.

Hey all,

I was wondering what makes the 4x4 on Toyota different?(better in my experience). Are they lighter?, have better transfer case and drive line balance?. I had a Dodge Dakota 4x4(92, 5.2 v8) and got stuck all the time and I mean all the time. I lost faith in 4x4's and bought a car. A few years later I bought some land in the bush and had to get a 4x4 pickup to access it. I bought a 95 v6 and I cant get it stuck(snow or mud)!! and I have tried. I love this truck. I was just wondering if anyone had any good info.

Thanks in advance

BTW, this forum is awesome. Thanks for all the knowledge(just advanced my timing a little and got a nice little boost. 87 octane, no ping)

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
Actually they are pretty heavy. A v6 pickup weighs in at about 3900-4000lbs and a 4runner can tip the scales at almost 4800lbs.

They are just built very well! And damn easy to repair :)

·
yota bomber
815 Posts
cause anything is better than a dodge :thumbsup:

·
Bring On The MUD!!!!!
'83 Pickup SR5
2,334 Posts
cause anything is better than a dodge :thumbsup:
:slap: ..... i resent that.... but i will let it slide this time

back to the topic, a lot of it still has to do with the weight. even though the 3.0 is a little heavier, its still lighter than most other pickups. but also it comes down to weight distribution and the vehicles center of gravity. now, you do have to remember that tires and ride height have a bearing on a vehicles abilities. but through driving many different toyotas, you really have to look at weight distribution and center of gravity.

there really is a lot that goes into making a rig to be great offroad. and there are many things you can do to that vehicle to make it better, but if you really do your research you will see that real enthusiasts stick to a very small list of vehicles because of how they are built.

Cam

·
Registered
91 4x4 extracab
608 Posts
what makes them so good hmmmm, little mayo tomato lettuce. sorry couldn't resist that. i think these trucks are more balanced than most.they do have flaws but not as many and are very reliable.tha average toyota truck has 100k on them and are still running strong.

·
Registered
1992 Toyota Pickup
33 Posts
One word: Toyota.

Look at the newer Land Cruisers. Thats a heavy ass truck and they are unstopable. The old FJs are great too as are the new FJs. I used to drive a Tundra that my dad had for a while and never got it stuck either. Toyota knows how to build a off-road vehicle. Ive only got a Toyota stuck once, I framed out a 4Runner and only one tire was touching the ground. I fell into a deep mud hole while backing up and didnt know it was there.

·
Experience>Post Count
Camry and Hilux
1,426 Posts
One word: Toyota.

Look at the newer Land Cruisers. Thats a heavy ass truck and they are unstopable. The old FJs are great too as are the new FJs. I used to drive a Tundra that my dad had for a while and never got it stuck either. Toyota knows how to build a off-road vehicle. Ive only got a Toyota stuck once, I framed out a 4Runner and only one tire was touching the ground. I fell into a deep mud hole while backing up and didnt know it was there.
I don't consider it not ever getting stuck if you don't count all the offroad terrains you can encounter. You can get any vehicle stuck, it just matters who's asking and who's telling, I've gotten stuck lots of times. There is just no replacement for mud terrains and or lockers.

·
yota bomber
815 Posts
and reguards to you cam, cummins is hands down one of the top desiel motors ever produced . unfortunatly thats all i have to say about them . but id take a cummins over any duramax and almost any powerstroke

·
Registered
151 Posts
Diesel motors suck ass. They always sound like four skeletons screwing in a garbage can. I have never owned one and never will.

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
back to topic

we have inline fours or the V6 up front, which means less weight up front at times. and our chassis's are much more different than a midsized pickup. also meaning less weight and we have a more "centered" weight. hard to explain.

·
Bring On The MUD!!!!!
'83 Pickup SR5
2,334 Posts
and reguards to you cam, cummins is hands down one of the top desiel motors ever produced . unfortunatly thats all i have to say about them . but id take a cummins over any duramax and almost any powerstroke
well you are definitely right in that! and one of the biggest reasons for it is that Cummins stayed with an inline 6 rather than moving to a "bigger" V style engine. inlines are much better in almost ever aspect, especially in longevity!

War10ck said:
Diesel motors suck ass. They always sound like four skeletons screwing in a garbage can. I have never owned one and never will.
.... im not going to put up a fit about this since it is your decision and i will respect someones opinion. yes, diesel engines, up until very recently, have been very loud and it is a noise most people despise. BUT the new model engines, including Cummins, are extremely quiet and dont even sound like diesel engines, trust me, i have worked on many more than you most likely!
but here is my request, dont go around opening your mouth saying that something sucks when you really have no idea what your talking about! that fact that you said diesel engines suck confirms that! i dont care if you hate them, but show courtesy and atleast do some really research before you jump to a conclusion based purely off of your own opinion. come one.
i dont care if you hate them and couldnt care less if you never owned one, just dont run your mouth when you dont have the facts to back it up!

Cam

·
Bring On The MUD!!!!!
'83 Pickup SR5
2,334 Posts
Not to be mean, but I think the best thing about a Dodge was Cummins...
you know, most of the details about Dodge compared to any other american truck is all about preference. so, no offense taken! although i prefer Dodge and Cummins over any other american truck! but i would love to have a Toyota and Cummins...... oh wait!!!!!

Cam

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree these trucks are fantastic! When we have snow emergencies, the first thing i do is go out driving! Much of the time, i dont need 4x4 on to get around either. I do attribute much of my good luck to my Bridgestone Dueler Revos.. i love them things!

I do have to disagree with Jayota on the "easy to repair" part. From my experience, everything i have done to my truck has been a pain in the ass. Granted, it did have 175k miles of its life in New England, and its current life is still bombarded with salt trucks. Just did headgaskets on my 3vze only to realize that the O2 sensor bung rusted out when it sat for 2 months waiting for repair.

They're still fun tho!

JT

·
Registered
151 Posts
Even the modern diesels are noisy, smelly and typically driven by people who need a penis extension. As I said before, they ALL sound like four skeletons screwing in a garbage can. They are more expensive to feed as well.

As for my experience with diesels, you have no idea what it is...

I will restate my original statement. Diesels suck ass. I don't recommend them to anyone. They belong in Semis not street trucks/cars.

.... im not going to put up a fit about this since it is your decision and i will respect someones opinion. yes, diesel engines, up until very recently, have been very loud and it is a noise most people despise. BUT the new model engines, including Cummins, are extremely quiet and dont even sound like diesel engines, trust me, i have worked on many more than you most likely!
but here is my request, dont go around opening your mouth saying that something sucks when you really have no idea what your talking about! that fact that you said diesel engines suck confirms that! i dont care if you hate them, but show courtesy and atleast do some really research before you jump to a conclusion based purely off of your own opinion. come one.
i dont care if you hate them and couldnt care less if you never owned one, just dont run your mouth when you dont have the facts to back it up!

Cam

·
Bring On The MUD!!!!!
'83 Pickup SR5
2,334 Posts
Even the modern diesels are noisy, smelly and typically driven by people who need a penis extension. As I said before, they ALL sound like four skeletons screwing in a garbage can. They are more expensive to feed as well.

I will restate my original statement. Diesels suck ass. I don't recommend them to anyone. They belong in Semis not street trucks/cars.
noisy, smelly.... whatever you say boss.... as for the penis extension.... is that a scientific fact? or have you just given them all so many "rides" that you would know??

you hate the sound, ok, hate it! they are more expensive to feed and to purchase, but its for a reason that you seem to not know about.

i dont know your experience with them, but i can make a guess because of the stuff you have said! and that guess is that you just hate them when they drive by. you have no idea how they work or why people use them!
please, shut up about this! have your own opinion, but dont keep talkin about something you dont know about! instead of arguing with me about hating the noise and smell, go read up on diesel engines and find out why people really use them. dont say something sucks just because you dont like it! i hate certain music but i dont say they all suck and have no talent, cause its just not true!

your opinion does not determine fact and fiction

Cam

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
you know, most of the details about Dodge compared to any other american truck is all about preference. so, no offense taken! although i prefer Dodge and Cummins over any other american truck! but i would love to have a Toyota and Cummins...... oh wait!!!!!

Cam
I totally agree with you. I'm really stoked with the redesigned 09 Ram. The amount of potential in these trucks are amazing. Have you seen the interior? leather?!!??!?!?! omg! haha, those trucks are beastly.

I6's are also silky smooth

·
Experience>Post Count
Camry and Hilux
1,426 Posts

More expensive to feed but in many cases get better mileage especially towing loads then their gas counterparts. So they difference cancels out in this area, not to mention torque to no end. So please, be quiet and quit your pathetic rant against diesels.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts