Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Highlander Hybrid Limited w/11K miles

Avg. 23-25 mpg in ECO mode (50% city/50% highway). Kind of disappointed as this is lower than the 29 city/28 hwy Toyota claims.

I keep car in ECO mode 100% of time. Does anyone know if ECO mode should only be used for city driving?

·
Registered
16 Posts

Avg. 23-25 mpg in ECO mode (50% city/50% highway). Kind of disappointed as this is lower than the 29 city/28 hwy Toyota claims.

I keep car in ECO mode 100% of time. Does anyone know if ECO mode should only be used for city driving?

I’ve been averaging between 25-27mpg on my 2017 here in Alaska. It’s a little worse in the winter with the -40F temperatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
After 11,000 miles and 14 months with my 2017 I get:

All highway driving at 65 to 70 mph - I get about 29 mpg. Not much of a advantage here over a non hybrid version.

City/secondary roads with some lights/stop signs when usually at 40 mph and under most of the time - up to 34 mpg. This is where a hybrid beats the non hybrid.

In the winter these numbers will go down as they will with any vehicle.

Also the number of cold starts, especially in the winter, will reduce your mpg but once warmed up you'll get excellent results in the city. If most of your driving is short hops with cool downs in-between then you probably won't do that much better than a non hybrid. In the summer it doesn't take long to get to EV mode - at least that's my observation.

I've also notice a mpg reduction when driving in the rain - I guess that does increase drag/friction on the wheels.

You also need to lean how to feather the gas pedal with a hybrid to get the best mileage. If you have a lead foot then your results will suffer. But try not to be a nuisance to your fellow drivers by doing the pulse and glide style where being behind one of these will be most irritating.

·
Registered
216 Posts

I get 27 mpg in the city with ECO mode on
I also get 24-25 mpg on the highway without ECO mode

You can certainly drive the highway in ECO mode, but you will lose power and reaction time. I turn it off on the highway.

·
Registered
16 HL Limited Plat
153 Posts
I have less than 3k on my HL HY Limited. My last tank was 31 calculated and that has been my worst. I am mostly city driving and pick routes with distances between lights that I can maintain 35-40. I can then get a couple miles on battery. I don't use eco mode at all. This is my second hybrid so that experience helps although this is much bigger than my CMax. My in city interstate driving shows that 60 will get mid to high 30's but 75 will drop it down to 30 or below. Light acceleration and coasting when the light changes to red also helps a lot.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My in city interstate driving shows that 60 will get mid to high 30's but 75 will drop it down to 30 or below. Light acceleration and coasting when the light changes to red also helps a lot.
I see by your info that you live in Pensacola FL - went to photo school there when I was in the Navy almost 50 years ago - and seeing how hills are almost non existent I can believe you can get in the upper 30's. Here in New England the hills on the interstates take a toll so at 65 mph the best I can get is 31 mpg and only 29 at 70 mph.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi HIHY folks,

Highlander Hybrid XLE purchased late May, just over 3000 miles. 9 fill ups- average 26.44 mpg, all hand calculated.
The computer is actually pretty close. Best 27.9 mpg, worst (mostly city with hills - sea level to 620 feet) 25.85 mpg.
I been in ECO mode, I'm not sure if Eco mode helps. Still experimenting will turn eco off and see results. I suspect not much difference if any. Only wish is it had a bigger gas tank. Very happy so far with mpg. But ask me in 10 years or 120K miles.

My other vehicle is a 2010 Prius with 131,000 miles - still getting about 43 mpg. Most reliable car I ever owned.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I see by your info that you live in Pensacola FL - went to photo school there when I was in the Navy almost 50 years ago - and seeing how hills are almost non existent I can believe you can get in the upper 30's. Here in New England the hills on the interstates take a toll so at 65 mph the best I can get is 31 mpg and only 29 at 70 mph.
ALUMINA JADE METALLIC.............Beautiful color, I guess it's NLA in the USA?

UPDATE I just saw AJM on the Toyota website, it looks darker and drab, compared to LYOD123's Highlander, in his photo.

·
B52D,F,G,H
2019 HiHy,2016 Prius
33 Posts
Driving with an expert Prius calibrated foot I have peaked at 32MPG mixed driving on the first 228 miles off the lot. It may get better with age but suspect this vehicle is destined to not go above 33ish.

40 PSI and will up it to 42PSI next week.

These tires are not LRR and are very heavy and clunky.

If you drive this like a normal SUV it would be difficult to break 23 MPG. Maybe!

I knew I would be lucky to get 33MPG but bought it because my wife wanted it.

5th Prius and now getting 64MPG consistently at 42 PSI.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Don't even consider listening to ukrkoz. He's clearly modified his vehicle beyond a normal consumer vehicle and won't reveal what's been done. Smoke and mirrors...

·
Registered
216 Posts
I edited my post but I want to make it perfectly clear. Sorry to threadcrap, but I've called out ukrkoz before and until he justifies his data, I'll keep doing it. He somehow manages impossible gas mileage on the Highlander, and when asked how it's possible, we don't receive an answer. So until he can explain how he manages to defy the laws of combustion with this car, I'm calling liar. Take everything ukrkoz says with a massive grain of salt.

·
6,522 Posts
Yep. Thanks for clarifying.

I have no idea why 2012 Highlander Hybrid did that mileage after refuel, on early morning commute from Federal Way WA to Seattle, I90xAirport Way.
Vehicle is stock. No modifications, the only upgrade was high air flow filter. Yokohama LRR tires.

I simply took a picture of that mpg with my phone, as it was indeed amazing.
Also, you saw 2 years worth of Fuelly data.

Guess, I had none better to do than to cheat all those data too. And my Camry Hybrid Fuelly.

Oh, and whitesands here is another liar with his unbelievable Camry Hybrid mpg.

Feel free to examine that picture for Photoshopping.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yep. Thanks for clarifying.

I have no idea why 2012 Highlander Hybrid did that mileage after refuel, on early morning commute from Federal Way WA to Seattle, I90xAirport Way.
Vehicle is stock. No modifications, the only upgrade was high air flow filter. Yokohama LRR tires.

I simply took a picture of that mpg with my phone, as it was indeed amazing.
Also, you saw 2 years worth of Fuelly data.

Guess, I had none better to do than to cheat all those data too. And my Camry Hybrid Fuelly.

Oh, and whitesands here is another liar with his unbelievable Camry Hybrid mpg.

Feel free to examine that picture for Photoshopping.

Cool, so if I change filter and tires, drive to Seattle, I'll see greater than 20% improvement in gas mileage? No chance, but thanks for the justification as it was. I give up trying to scientifically comprehend how you achieve this.

·
6,522 Posts
Cool, so if I change filter and tires, drive to Seattle, I'll see greater than 20% improvement in gas mileage? No chance, but thanks for the justification as it was. I give up trying to scientifically comprehend how you achieve this.

Be frank, I never said such silliness.

It was one of those freak cases when somehow vehicle did that amazing mpg on roughly 20 plus drive. Even in my very original post then, I had no idea why it happened. But so it did. Later on, it went back to normal around 30. Things like this happen. Who knows. Federal Way overall is higher elevation than Seattle, so it was lots of rolling down. No traffic. I have very good foot control worked out after years of driving Camry Hybrid. I use B mode a lot to keep battery charged. Car was fueled at Costco right before this happened, maybe I hit some real nice gas batch.

It's likely combination of some unusual very favorable circumstances that resulted in such great outcome - and I never claimed that to be regular everyday average mpg..

So take it as you wish. If I wanted to, there are ways of taking pic of a hybrid doing 90mpg, but that's cheating. I am not interested, I value my karma.

Be well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts