Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Highlader Plat
2 Posts
Non Eco mode, 28 in town, 30 highway.. It does peak better in eco mode and crawling off the light, but I feel like I am growing older just waiting to get up to speed.

·
6,522 Posts
Don't I know the feeling.....
My commuter now is RAM 1500 with 5.7. And I have hybrid foot after 8 years of owning them... I am total pain to drive behind and do drive like old fart.

·
Registered
37 Posts
2017 Limited Hybrid
Mileage: ~15000
Avg MPG 26.3
Driving habits: 70-75 on freeway, long drives only, limited city driving

·
TableRocked
149 Posts
2018 Limited Hybrid Platinum
Mileage: ~ 18,000
Average MPG = 28.4 but have had a few tanks of mostly my driving where it showed 31.6 MPG for the tank
Driving Habits = Ozark mountains, lots of hills, slow driving around town

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just did a 250-mile trip loaded up with kids and gear (all inside). 38 psi, hilly Pacific Northwest conditions, a mix of 65-70 mph highway and dense city driving. Reset the meter at the beginning of the trip and now it reads 28.5 mpg.

·
Registered
16 HL Limited Plat
153 Posts
I am sure I am not the first person to hit 500 miles on a tank of gas but it is a first for me. And by hitting 500 miles range I mean the range and the distance driven added up to 500. In this case my miles on the Trip A were 467 and the range was at 34 miles, so 501 total. Mileage for the trip was 34.3 calculated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought new in Feb 2019. Now have 6700 m miles with a average of 28.5 on every tank. This is acheived by my wife that drives it like she stole it! I have done over 500 miles on a take at 30.3 mpg (tank was topped off to the rim) and on a long trip mostly highway. I really love the Highlander and so does the wifie.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2019 Hybrid Limited, ~2200 miles, purchased first week of April.

My average is ~26-27 mpg mixed...but I'm seeing a big variance depending on the type of driving.

When I'm just going to the gym ~10mins away through suburban streets with a few hills, ~22-24mpg.
When I am on the freeway ~75-85mph, i'm getting 27-28mpg.
But when I'm stuck in traffic (which is basically my daily commute), that is where this baby shines! I was getting 40+mpg in stop and go traffic! So in the last several days of commute I was getting ~32mpg.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Would you say that if a person just simply drives the car and doesn't pay attention to anything special, doesn't baby it, doesn't look at the gauges and try to get the best mileage possible, just simply drives it like any other (Non-hybrid) car, the milage won't be as good?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Would you say that if a person just simply drives the car and doesn't pay attention to anything special, doesn't baby it, doesn't look at the gauges and try to get the best mileage possible, just simply drives it like any other (Non-hybrid) car, the milage won't be as good?
I think the mileage would always be better with the hybrid compared to the same conditions with a non hybrid version no matter what driving style you have but there are a few simple things you can do with a hybrid that will increase the fuel economy without having to drive like an old lady - no offence to any old ladies reading this.

The only exception IMHO is if you do all highway driving as the hybrid has little advantage at 65 mph over a non hybrid version. The hybrid likes under 40 mph to utilize the EV mode as much as possible.

·
6,522 Posts
Well, I am offended.

Llloyd is right. You will have better mileage, but not a stellar mileage. And stellar mileage is not exactly just driving like an old lady. It takes a bit more to that. Developing hypermiling techniques. Pulse and glide. this is how I got my now RAM to 21.2 mpg on 5.7 Hemi.

Just driving - you will be on the lower end of the mpg bell curve.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Latest road trip was 2000 miles through multiple Western states with a loaded-up HiHy (about 1000 pounds of payload), many mountain passes, and speeds averaging around 80-85 mph (lots of freeway with 80 mph limits). For the entire trip the HiHy returned 25.6 mpg. Mileage really starts to suffer once you are exceeding 75 mph.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts