Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...I would like to replace the muffler on my 98 Camry LE. There is nothing wrong with the stock one, it is just fat and hangs down to where it hits the ground when I go up or down my driveway. I saw some stainless ones on ebay and they looked round and smaller than the stock one. I didn't see any brackets or flange on those like the stock one. Also I assume they are noisey like hotrod ones. I am 72 and past the age where rumble is cool. You all are smart and experienced in customize'g your cars so I thought some one here might know what make muffler would do the job. I thought about changing the wheels to raise the whole car, but that is way too expensive. Thank you all for any help.

Dave Cook

·
back again? yeah, i am.
1992 Toyota Camry
1,493 Posts
when it came time to replace my muffler many years ago my dad bought a toyota one for 150 dollars...it has no noise like these ones out today and its toyota so you know that it is quality

·
slowamatic noob
1996 Toyota Camry
3,858 Posts
hey there...i think its probably best for you to go to a muffler shop and have them show you the type of muffler you can get installed... knowing that your 72 years old, i'd assume they wont be showing you some aftermarket muffler that we TN'ers like to put on...they will most likely show you a universal muffler and the shop should provide you the brackets/flanges...

ok good luck..:thumbup:

·
spin turbo hammy... SPIN!
2,849 Posts
and also bud- the gen 4 camrys, and some other models for that matter, have low hanging exhausts... i am not sure why toyota did it- they had more room to tuck if they wanted, but the pipe hangs low and especially after the resonator and before the stock muffler- there is an extra drop which hurts clearance- if it is a real problem- tell a muffler shop and see if they can tuck the pipe up more, they should help

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've scraped the bottom of my hayame going up steep driveways. here in cali they have those rounded curbs before the initial driveway so when they are steep I just dont go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts