Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2016 Avalon Limited
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This ranks right up there with cup holders(LOL), but I was surprised my Limited does not have a glove box light! Oh well. I just won't open it at night!

·
Inveterate Tinkerer
1,085 Posts
I was surprised my Limited does not have a glove box light!
Look on the left side of the box. It's a very small (and not very bright) light. I removed it (pop out the front then pull toward you) and removed the plastic cover over the light then drilled out the small portion covering the bulb. It made a difference but still it's nothing like the giant glove box lights of old.

At least if you pull out the light you can see the wiring in case you want to splice in a nice LED strip later.

Cheers

·
2016 Avalon Limited
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Look on the left side of the box. It's a very small (and not very bright) light. I removed it (pop out the front then pull toward you) and removed the plastic cover over the light then drilled out the small portion covering the bulb. It made a difference but still it's nothing like the giant glove box lights of old.

At least if you pull out the light you can see the wiring in case you want to splice in a nice LED strip later.

Cheers
Wow! Thanks. It was so DULL I never noticed. Will an LED fit in its place? Hoping it's the same size as the trunk light but probably is not.

·
Inveterate Tinkerer
1,085 Posts
Many LED Moods

Wow! Thanks. It was so DULL I never noticed. Will an LED fit in its place? Hoping it's the same size as the trunk light but probably is not.
The glove box light is the same little (dim) LED as the light that illuminates your QI charging pad/storage area. I've now replaced that ultra dim center light with an LED and added mood lighting (tied into the mood light wiring in the center console) under the seats. I tried taking pictures but they're underwhelming when taken with a phone camera.

The upside of using the mood lighting wiring (Limited only maybe?) is you can control the new lights with the mood button in the overhead console independent of the gauge lighting.

I'm attaching one pic of that charging pad light (which also shows pedals on the driver's side from the underseat lights if you look carefully), another of the LED's under the seat and a third pic showing the variable resistor I installed in the center console to adjust the floor lights just for fine tuning just so forum members can get some ideas.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
The glove box light is the same little (dim) LED as the light that illuminates your QI charging pad/storage area. I've now replaced that ultra dim center light with an LED and added mood lighting (tied into the mood light wiring in the center console) under the seats. I tried taking pictures but they're underwhelming when taken with a phone camera.

The upside of using the mood lighting wiring (Limited only maybe?) is you can control the new lights with the mood button in the overhead console independent of the gauge lighting.

I'm attaching one pic of that charging pad light (which also shows pedals on the driver's side from the underseat lights if you look carefully), another of the LED's under the seat and a third pic showing the variable resistor I installed in the center console to adjust the floor lights just for fine tuning just so forum members can get some ideas.

Cheers
Hello GJQ, you seem to be very resourceful when it comes to retrofitting parts to your avy. My question is, what did you mean by "added mood light"? Are u referring to the missing mood light above the glove box? i really want to retrofit mine as it's also missing, I was so mad and disappointed when I realised mine didn't work, I wud do anything to have some sort of lighting there that works with the OEM mood switch, it's one of the reasons I bought the limited, felt/feel cheated.

*update* just realised you meant adding mood lighting to the floor areas.. Pity

·
Inveterate Tinkerer
1,085 Posts
Are u referring to the missing mood light above the glove box? i really want to retrofit mine as it's also missing
GQ,

Your '14 (and later) Limited 'should' have the mood light over the glove box along with the cup holders and door handles. The thing is, it's really really dim. Park your car in a very dark place and turn the mood lighting all the way up then sit in the passenger seat. That's about the only time I can see mine. If, for some reason your car doesn't have the lighting you really aren't missing anything.

Cheers!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for your quick response GJQ, IMHO, the car doesn't actually need to be parked in a dark place to see it, my co-worker has the 2014 TAL w/tech so he has qi pad and glove mood light, he laughed at me so hard wen he got in mine and it didn't light up, (your avalon was made kentucky China) lol!
Think is, mine only qualifies as 2014 cos production date says august 2013, not a direct 14, the mood light really gives it a touch of class/luxury, separates "us" from Camry owners apart from the price tag.
I'm having to consider doing so many upgrades (qi pad) I really shouldn't be doing. if I had done an in depth research on the limited edition (thought I did) I would have been happier.
BTW, found the qi pad on ebay for 390 bucks.. I advice u cherish yours with the "useless" tag it gets from those who own it.

·
2016 Avalon Limited
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your quick response GJQ, IMHO, the car doesn't actually need to be parked in a dark place to see it, my co-worker has the 2014 TAL w/tech so he has qi pad and glove mood light, he laughed at me so hard wen he got in mine and it didn't light up, (your avalon was made kentucky China) lol!
Think is, mine only qualifies as 2014 cos production date says august 2013, not a direct 14, the mood light really gives it a touch of class/luxury, separates "us" from Camry owners apart from the price tag.
I'm having to consider doing so many upgrades (qi pad) I really shouldn't be doing. if I had done an in depth research on the limited edition (thought I did) I would have been happier.
BTW, found the qi pad on ebay for 390 bucks.. I advice u cherish yours with the "useless" tag it gets from those who own it.
The qi pad really is useless. Only thing it is good for is to cover my ipod under it.

·
PJSMITH
1,453 Posts
just 2 c.

My Qi works fine.

It was ineffective with the Samsung S6
The S7 fits perfectly.

I guess it's a mm or more bigger and is snug.

I also use a home passive charger and it works great

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey guys, sorry this post is coming in a bit late with toyota releasing the 2019 Avalon making any new posts on the 4th gen abit of a "blast from the past".

So i had been able to retro fit the ambient lighting above the glove box using EL-Wire and the driver side, just above the AC vent as it has a gap just like the one above the glove box (apparently some limiteds have the ambient LED strip on both driver side and front passenger side while some have on just passenger side while the rest of "us" have neither).
I also decided to install a strip right under the the chrome of the head unit above the push to start button :grin:.

The effect was well worth the entire process that took almost 4 hours as i had to take out the headunit to have better access to the wooden trim above glove box area and also took out center cup holders to splice and tap power.

Other mods i did was to have carbon fiber wrapped on all four window control panels (i always felt toyota could have used something glossy or even a wood grain to give it a more luxury look), TRD caliper covers, trunk lip spoiler, crux wifi video interface with motion by-pass (replaces AUX), LED break and parking rear bumper reflector lights.

These mods were done sometime in November of 2017 but i had been so engaged with work, hence the "late" post but i sent pictures to Gadgetjq as he inspired me to the mods :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looks great GQ! Is that EL wire over the push button or LED? It really finishes off the look.

Cheers!
Hey Gadget, sorry about the late response, i have been off the grid. Yes its El-wire, it really does finish off the look, im gona run some more in all four doors compartment/cup holders to give that german (benz, bmw, audi) look at night. :smile:

·
Registered
79 Posts
The glove box light is the same little (dim) LED as the light that illuminates your QI charging pad/storage area.

one pic of that charging pad light (which also shows pedals on the driver's side from the underseat lights if you look carefully), another of the LED's under the seat and a third pic showing the variable resistor I installed in the center console to adjust the floor lights just for fine tuning just so forum members can get some ideas.

Cheers

Breathing new life here sorry

Today was the first I noticed there is a light over that storage/charging area
My Samsung Note 9 is too big to fit anywhere, today was the first time I think I had it face up when I got home today I reached for my phone and seen a tiny dim light reflecting on the screen. So of course I want more light now LOL but do i need to remove the part of the dash under the AC unit ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
TheMiz
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing