Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Klaatu barada nikto
'06 XR4WD Cosmic Blu
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am coming up on my first oil change and I'll be switching to Mobil 1. I tried searching to see if there were any favorite oil filters, but the results were kind of hit or miss.

So, I'd like to know what people are using. Since my oil changes will be less frequent (I'm planning on every 7500 miles), I don't mind spending a couple of extra bucks on good filters. I like the K&N HP-1003. I think the 1" nut welded on the casing is a great idea.

Comments? Preferences?

·
Registered
03' Matrix XRS 6sp
109 Posts
The Mobil 1 filter is very good, especially for your 7500 OCI's. The K&N you mentioned is also good. It is a little more free flowing but has a lower "first" pass filtering percentage. I have used OEM filters from the get go and have 2 left for each of my vehicles. When they're gone, I think I'm going to go with the M1 filter.

·
Registered
192 Posts
well I've mostly used original filters. There was one time that I swithced to FRAM and Motomaster and it was terrible. This was for my old Mazda. Every start up sepcially in the morning I hear a loud cranking noise in the engine. Andn then I've learned that these filters doesnt have the anti drain valve which left the engine thirsty for oil.

·
Registered
03' Matrix XRS 6sp
109 Posts
Our filter locations on the Matrix don't need the drain back valve as the position of the filter ensures a full filter everytime. BTW, stay away from the "orange can of death". :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are you using Mobil1 EP?? or Mobil1 Supersyn???

If your using Supersyn I think your going too long. Supersyn is in the same category as a hydrocracked mineral oil so its playing in the same field as your castrol syntec, pennzoil platinum, Valvoline max life syn etc etc. Your better off changing your oil with a good mineral oil every 3200+ miles changing the filter every oil change. Going that route your more than likely be still cheaper then using mobil 1 EP and a long drain filter.

If your really hardcore I'd suggest the 2 canister system Amsoil sells. This by far is a better system than 1 spin on.

I'd use an oil filter rated for long drain interval with oil thats rated for long drain. I personally think pushing the limits of oil and changing the oil filters twice is a pain (using oil filters not rated for long drain).

From what I gather every oil filter has a bypass valve. This means when your running at high rpms your NOT getting filtered oil through the oil galleries.

I feel sorry for the Honda's. I know in Canada Honda uses fram as a supplier. As long as you change your oil every 3200 miles or so a Fram oil filter will do just fine.

I dont care for long drain intervals...why??? because I run an automotive shop and I see more issues with people doing long drain intervals. If someone changes their oil in the 3000 mile range, every other oil change I do a 25 point vehicle inspection. Brakes checked and adjusted (rear if applicable), fluids checked, tire pressure checked, battery checked, water pump checked, belts, lights etc etc. My customers get good dino regular oil with Napa filters (wix) or even some Fram ones (whatever I have in stock)

The small percentage of long drain interval customers I have usually have low tire pressure, potential loss of coolant (unaware of water pump problems), low tranny levels (some cooked clutch packs actually), unaware of burnt out lights etc etc. People do not get vehicle inspections unless they do an oil change. These are the people that dont get prevenative maintance and usually come in as "Emergency" jobs rather than scheduled jobs.

This is my observation. If your keen (unlike many many people out there) you'll be fine doing long drain intervals. If you think I make more money off of long drain interval customers your wrong. I just think more frequent oil changes keeps things fresh and a piece of mind knowing your getting fresh oil and filter. I have shop facilities and I can get some high end boutique oils extremely cheap but I still change my oil every 5000km. Thats just me.

I'll use a decent group 3 "synthetic" and change it frequently at 5000 km's (aprox 3200miles) and a Napa Gold filter.

I think the Toyota OE filters are made in singapore or thailand. They are such a light construction filter that looks like a piece of turd compared to the original japanese OE filters back in the day.

·
05 Matrix TRD
05 Matrix TRD
78 Posts
I usually just stick with Toyota Oil filters, or a big name brand if i'm in a pinch, but never go cheap, not worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oddly enough there are so many cars out there using the so called bad Fram filters. Alot of those cars are getting just as many miles as a car using higher quality oil filters.

Toyota's OE filters are not even made in North America. At least the Canadian Toyota dealerships use some crappy constructed overseas (not japan) oil filter. The Japan made oil filters by far apear to be constructed better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just changed mine and went with the Fram Tough Guard. I always use them on my truck and have good luck so...............

One problem I've run into is how to reset the computer after the oil change. Any ideas?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Reset computer after oil change:

a) With the Engine ON click your Odometer/TripA/TripB selector knob so
the display shows TRIP A

b) Turn the car off
c) Turn the key 1 click to ACC (accessory mode)
d) While in ACC, press and hold the selector knob in (don't worry that
can't see anything on the dashboard.)
e) While you are still holding the selector knob, click the key 1 more
position to the ON position.
f) If you do it correctly, you will see the TripA display change to some
numbers and then start blinking quickly. you will also see the MAINT
REQD blinking quickly. After about 5 seconds of holding the knob in
the display should show 0000000000000 then go away

·
GeorgeNfla
08 Scion Xd
190 Posts
I use Purolator oil filters. I definitely would stay away from Fram oil filters. Now that I've got 3000 miles, I am using synthetic. I use either Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec, both 5w30.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts