Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
DILLIGAF
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm new and maybe this subject has been covered, but I thought I would start a place to list issues.

I'll start the list here:

1) Windshield mirror is too wide for the sun visor, they interfere with each other.

2) Dash to center console slide out compartment (like an ashtray but not an ashtray) sticks and has come apart since new.

3) Something on the belt area has always squealed since new. We now have 124,000 Miles on it. Sounds like a cold belt in the winter, but happens all the time.

4) Rear axles vibrated and whined from about 40,000, I finally replaced them at about 110,000 miles.

5) Air Conditioning quit working last year, it's a 2005 model.

Other than that, we love the car and have had about 4 Corollas over the years.

·
A Sloppy Mechanic
2005 Corolla LE
896 Posts
I know I'm new and maybe this subject has been covered, but I thought I would start a place to list issues.

I'll start the list here:

1) Windshield mirror is too wide for the sun visor, they interfere with each other.

2) Dash to center console slide out compartment (like an ashtray but not an ashtray) sticks and has come apart since new.

3) Something on the belt area has always squealed since new. We now have 124,000 Miles on it. Sounds like a cold belt in the winter, but happens all the time.

4) Rear axles vibrated and whined from about 40,000, I finally replaced them at about 110,000 miles.

Other than that, we love the car and have had about 4 Corollas over the years.
1. there are two ball joints on the mirror for adjustment, try different combinations to get it set just right. I had the same problem on my '05 until just recently when I realized there were two joints and I was able to get it set just right to where the driver's sun visor juuust misses the mirror when I put it all the way out.

2. (sorry, I can't help here, but others may be able to)

3. have you ever changed the belt? many here suggest using the Goodyear brand "Gatorback" belt as a good replacement over OEM. also, it's possible your belt tensioner may be going bad, I have a sneaking suspicion that mine is also since it started randomly squealing during normal driving even though I replaced the oem belt only a year ago.

4. wheel bearings have also been known to go bad on some people's corollas, thankfully mine are still good (knock on wood). how have yours been since you replaced them?

5. in what manner did it quit working? ie. not blowing cold air, not blowing air at all? when you hit the a/c button to "on" and turn the blowers on, can you hear the a/c compressor cycling or hear the engine rpm fluctuating with a/c on with the car stopped at like a stoplight or something? see if you can find a shop or something that will pressure check it or something so you can know what happened.

·
DILLIGAF
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. there are two ball joints on the mirror for adjustment, try different combinations to get it set just right. I had the same problem on my '05 until just recently when I realized there were two joints and I was able to get it set just right to where the driver's sun visor juuust misses the mirror when I put it all the way out.

2. (sorry, I can't help here, but others may be able to)

3. have you ever changed the belt? many here suggest using the Goodyear brand "Gatorback" belt as a good replacement over OEM. also, it's possible your belt tensioner may be going bad, I have a sneaking suspicion that mine is also since it started randomly squealing during normal driving even though I replaced the oem belt only a year ago.

4. wheel bearings have also been known to go bad on some people's corollas, thankfully mine are still good (knock on wood). how have yours been since you replaced them?

5. in what manner did it quit working? ie. not blowing cold air, not blowing air at all? when you hit the a/c button to "on" and turn the blowers on, can you hear the a/c compressor cycling or hear the engine rpm fluctuating with a/c on with the car stopped at like a stoplight or something? see if you can find a shop or something that will pressure check it or something so you can know what happened.
1) Moving the mirror that way blocks too much view, wrong answer, Toyota should have designed the sun visor and mirror correctly.

2) bottom ash tray like compartment should have been fit together correctly at the factory. Even the dealer couldn't seem to fix it.

3) The belt and pulley squealing should have been assembled correctly at the factory, you can't tell me they didn't notice this before it left the assembly plant.

4) Rear wheel bearings should have lasted the life of the car.

5) Air Conditioning should have lasted the life of the car also. I have a 97 Ford truck with great air conditioning.

·
Registered
411 Posts
1) Moving the mirror that way blocks too much view, wrong answer, Toyota should have designed the sun visor and mirror correctly.

2) bottom ash tray like compartment should have been fit together correctly at the factory. Even the dealer couldn't seem to fix it.

3) The belt and pulley squealing should have been assembled correctly at the factory, you can't tell me they didn't notice this before it left the assembly plant.

5) Air Conditioning should have lasted the life of the car also. I have a 97 Ford truck with great air conditioning.
Of course that car should run with no issues for the life of the car. But we are talking probabilities here. If your '97 Ford truck didn't have a single issue since new, then you are a very very lucky person.

·
Registered
2003 Corolla LE
104 Posts

What a person wants and should expect are two entirely different things. Parts wear out.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Problems on my 2007 (50,000 miles)

{ }

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 2007 "S" and have had 2 issues so far. Had an oil leak that was traced to a faulty "O" ring on the oil fill neck and I replaced my battery yesterday. I live in Tucson AZ. so I figure 3 years on any battery in the desert is pretty good. This has been a really trouble free vehicle since I bought it. It has 74K on it now and runs as good as it did when I bought it with 24K on it.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts

1 YOU not liking the position of the mirror does not translate into an engineering failure.

2 Yes trim items should fit and be expected to not fall apart.

3 At over 100K, you should have replaced the belt long ago anyway.

4 Wheel bearings do typically last well over 100K

5 Since you do not have a clue what is wrong with the AC it's ridiculous to complain about it on your well over 100K vehicle.

Vehicles do have issues. Shit does wear out. Unrealistic expectations that ANYTHING will last forever will forever disappoint. Ford had pure hell with the 2007 F150. It had a myriad of problems and recalls.

·
Registered
07 Indigo Corolla LE
43 Posts
07 32k only problem was the stock wheels rusted up after 2 years but living in the snow belt salt will do that to any bodies wheels no big deal just bought a set of alloy wheels I like. I did notice that sun visor rear view mirror thing and a nice pair of sun glasses fixed that. All in All for the money Corolla can't be beat. Just go to the other car forums and read about the host of problems others are having with their cars of similar make.All sorts of electrical and mechanical problems Volkswagon Jetta, Mazda3, Nissan Sentra, Chevy Cobalt even the Honda Civic forum has its own room for problems and trouble shooting. Toyota Corolla is the best choice by far.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have an 05 LE with around 42,000 on it.
This is a strange one, but never really use the visor so it doesn't bother me all that much.
My compartments are working fine. Others have had issues with the various compartment doors breaking. I've seen many cars also have broken glove boxes and center console compartment doors/hinges. Things will break with extended repeated use. I don't smoke but was surprised to see that the lowest compartment wasn't an actual ash tray like older cars I've driven.
Every car I've ever drove, the belts eventually had to be changed, usually between 30,000 and 60,000 miles. May not even be the belt. The tensioner pulley unit has had issues. Search this site and you'll come across others who had the tensioner unit go bad and squeal. I think there might even a TSB on it to replace it with a new redesigned unit. As to the belt, you should have replaced it long ago with the "Goodyear Gatorback" belt. I did a thread on it (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3112625) which is now in the DIY link at the top of form thread. The dealership wanted to replace it at around 30,000 miles due to belt cracking. Did it my self for half the cost and it took about 10 minutes to do. Its absurdly easy for one person to do with the right tools.
No issues with the rear axles so far.
AC works fine on my 05 and it gets extensive use in the summer (North East) as I hate humidity and warm temperatures. And during the winter for defrosting the windows. This was the first car I had where the AC comes on when Defrost is selected. Car AC units much like home AC units can and do go bad.

In general all cars will eventually start to have things go wrong with them. Now days its routine for Toyota's to go 100,000 miles with very few problems. I have a family member who bought brand new and drove a late 90's Camery over 150,000 miles (traded it in earlier this year) on just the basic preventative maintenance (oil/lube), replaced muffler (once I believe), and brake pad changes (twice I think). The body rust was the only big issue they had which started around the 100,000 mile mark. Anything mechanical will eventually start to show age and wear and will eventually break down. Some cars more than others start having mechanical problems due to planned obsolencense.

·
Registered
8 Posts
on my 03 S; idler pulley, frozen driver front caliper, bad pass rear wheel bearing, might be driver front wheel bearing, too soon to tell though. i think most of these issues due to autobahn here in germany. not sure though. just throwing that out there as a likely contributor

·
Registered
126 Posts
2006 corolla CE (yes, the cheap edition) with almost 80K miles; problems?
Yes, the clip holding the driver side visor in place came out; replaced under warranty.

THAT IS IT, period!
Love this car; very peppy with great gas mileage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Corolla CE 2005 automaticaly turn On How I can disable or remove the automatic on my headlights when I turn off the emergency brake, I would manually activate and deactivate because I have HID light system thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Corolla CE 2005 automaticaly turn On How I can disable or remove the automatic on my headlights when I turn off the emergency brake, I would manually activate and deactivate because I have HID light system thanks!
engrish prease?:eek:

i assume you're asking how to disable the headlights so they don't automatically turn on when you put the car in D? (I'm not sure if you can or not)

·
Registered
519 Posts
I assume you mean, disable the daytime running lights/lamps (DRL)? Please use the search feature for this forum to find several threads that discuss the disabling of the day time running lights, search for "DRL" or "disable DRL". Googling "disable drl corolla" also yeilds many pages that discuss how to disable the DRL's.

Note that by disabling the DRL you are disabling what is considered a safety feature on the car.

·
Registered
Toyota corolla
417 Posts
got my car new in 2007, 55K miles on it.

no problems(knock on wood)

·
Registered
2003 Corolla S
116 Posts
2003 Toyota Corolla S with 101,000 miles. Purchased the vehicle approx. 5 months ago with 96,000 miles. Only MAJOR complaint about the vehicle is the vibrations I have going on. The car stumbles below 2mph or at the point where your about to stop for a red light. Not sure if it's a ecm issue or iac sensor issue. Took it to Firestone and Toyota dealership and both said there was nothing wrong haha. Car also stumbles when backing up in reverse. Vibrations become more obvious when car is fully warmed up. If it weren't for this problem I would love the car and it's 30mpg but it's a major problem that's apparent at every stop light or sub 2mph idle.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts