Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally come out of the closet with my hidden passion for the MR2. i'm just wondering which year(s) are the best bang-for-the-buck MR2?

Factoring in suspension, Engine mods (This is a guarantee) and overall reliability. I like the looks of the '93.

Also, how many generations are there of the MR2? engine sizes? Brand / size of turbo? (A/R)

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
I'd have to say a '98... but good luck on that one. Better luck with a '95... but good luck finding one of those either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My brother races SCCA and the '91 mr2's won in their class for years, but now everyone seems to have found the right set-up for the '93 and they turn in very close time slips. The '91 was the lightest because of a safety regulation that was not in place. In '92 and up, door reinforcments were required which added weight to the car. I'M GUESSING, but I think it was a couple hundred pounds difference.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
best bang for the buck would be 91s....cuz they are the oldest now.....best buy to get would be a 95 turbo b/c they are so rare and newest.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
89 SC :D I just love the way the 1st Gen handles, that chassy can handle anything. My plan is to throw the 3S-GTE(2nd Gen's Turbo Powerplant) in my 89 SC so I get the best handling & fastest stock Mr2 motor. I've driven both & the 2nd Gen has too much flex for me after driving the 1st Gen.

·
Registered
131 Posts
For the MKII, they only got prettier w/ age...

Some would say they didnt like the suspension revisions, but you cant argue with the performance upgrades

Brakes, Turbo, TCS, etc...

·
Registered
15 Posts
What's stopping you guys from putting in a roll cage to stiffen up the second gen's so they don't flex so much? I keep hearing that the 1st gen's are more fun to drive. Maybe I'll keep my '86 along with the '91.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just put a cusco pulley on my freshly rebuilt 89 supercharged mr2 with a new trani and clutch masters stage 4 clutch with fidanza flywheel and dialed in the suspension with tokico illuminas and ground control coil overs coupled with all prothane bushings and H&T swaybars & 17x7" ADR Battle exe rims and micheline f1-gs-d3 tires, WOW "is this fun or what" HOLY POWERHOUSE NOW, I haven't had this much fun since I bought the car brand new in 89.
I'll never get rid of my 2

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm partial to the Mark I, having had mine for 14 years. I value agility & handling over brute power. That said, I do long for more power. The Mark I SC's are probably the best combo of power & handling, and easy to get more power via oversized pulley. Looks of Mk-II definitely nicer, but too heavy for me.

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
Yakkis, I hav a 6-point roll bar in Hyde and it really stiffened things up nicely :)

The MK1s are more fun to drive because they are so small and nimble.
The supercharged MKIs are truly wonderful.

I am a 91 guy through-and-through though.
Buy them cheap and build them like you like them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts