Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying an impact driver socket set at this local auto shop but they have a bunch of different sets. What I'm after is, what are the most common, often used bolts on my 92 Rolla? I've run into 12mm, 14mm and 17mm. I think. These socket sets have missing sockets; i.e. 9mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 15mm, 17mm, 21mm, 22mm They're all different. So I'm trying to pick up a set that has all of the pertinent socket sizes that I'll need moving forward on repairing my car. Doing some front disc brake work soon and caliper overhaul and need a 12mm impact socket for the seized caliper pin/bolt.

· Registered
Look in sig
9,117 Posts
8mm and 10mm are very common. 12mm, 14mm are as well. When I did a 1995 Corolla, these are the common sizes. Those should cover a majority of the hands on repairs you will be doing in the engine bay and interior. 17mm for bigger items. 21mm sizes and up can be used in the engine bay.

You also want an open wrench or a wrench for the brake bleeder valve. Also consider getting a C-Clamp id you don't have one.

2013 Corolla S
2,771 Posts
You can take nearly anything on a Toyota apart with 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19, and 21.

3/8 drive is fine for up to 17mm and 1/2 drive for 13mm and above, overlap is fine.

Since you won't be only working on Toyota, get every metric size from 1/4 drive 4.5mm to 1/2 drive 23mm.

· Registered
890 Posts
I'd be leery about using an impact on bolts smaller than 14mm. As most impact wrenches are 1/2 inch it will spin the head off the bolt or nut in an instant. For a Yota, you need 17, 19, and 21, 22 and whatever else you run into. If you use a small 3/8 impact driver I would go ahead and use standard sockets. You not putting huge amounts of torque on the item. That's just me, your experience may vary.

Now to contradict myself, as far as the caliper pin/ bolt goes get a 12mm impact socket and just wring it off and replace the bolt and guide pins. You won't want to reuse any of it anyway.

· Registered
1997 Corolla
6,475 Posts
8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21mm are most common. The drive shaft bolt on the end in the center of the wheel is 30mm. There might be some 24 and 27mm in some places. If you are only getting one set get 6-point sockets, but impact sockets should only be 6-point anyway.

285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up getting a set of 12pcs 1/2"DR. Deep Impact Socket's MM. Drop forged, heat treated, in a solid blow mold case. Sizes I got were 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19, 21, 22, 24. Should help me get the top fuel filter bolt loose, the seized caliper pin out, and the rear bumper removed. Got them for $17

· Registered
1997 Corolla
6,475 Posts
Which fastener requires 13mm????? Or 16mm????? (On these Corollas)

· Registered
1997 Corolla
6,475 Posts
On an (even) older Toyota I remember the alternator pivot bolt and nut were 12mm and 13 (or maybe 14 and 13). I figured it was designed this way so a mechanic doesn't need two wrenches with the same size, like 12 and 12. You could do the job with a single set of wrenches.

I think on ours the bolt and nut are the same size. And on some models the pivot bolt threads directly into the bracket, so only one wrench is needed.

16mm I never came across, at least for a bolt/nut that a socket can fit on. Maybe on something like the fuel filter where you can fit a flare wrench on to hold the filter while you loosen the other nut, or maybe on the nuts on the air conditioner freon lines.

I do keep a 13mm socket in my toolbox because at some point a mechanic may have put an ANSI/ISO spec bolt/nut on which is 13mm for 8mm diameter threads rather than 12mm for Japanese spec.

See this:
Metric Bolt Head/Wrench Size
For 8mm thread diameter, Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) head size is 12mm, but for ANSI/ISO and DIN the head size is 13mm.

Original sizes on our cars should be JIS, so 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 22; but things like lug nuts could be 21. As more Toyotas started getting built in the USA, they may have started using fasteners with different specs.

See the chart in the link above and compare ANSI/ISO, DIN and JIS.

· Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,594 Posts
There are times when even the 18" breaker-bar isn't enough. So I add another 18" handle extension. In this case the combination is used to remove the giant hub-nut to replace wheel-bearings.

Matchbook just used to establish size scale. Somewhere I have a photo of torque-wrench with 5-ft long handle....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.