Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2007 Toyota Yaris 5 speed. Without a tachometer and being its so quiet im not sure im traveling at appropriate speeds for each gear. Some of it feels obvious like down shifting for corners but im going a steady 55 mpg in 3rd gear and dont feel the need to shift from 4th really at all at 70 mpg.
What speeds would you recommend shifting up and down and cruising speeds?

·
Registered
108 Posts
This may not be helpful, but our 02 Echo has a 6500 red line. These are high-rpm friendly motors... within reason, of course.

A cheap tach will do wonders for your driving enjoyment. Ours was <$20 on ebay, "Make Waves" brand. I've also toyed with the <$10 tachs... they're functional but visibly slow to respond to throttle input, which I find infuriating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ron. I'll check them out and get one. Im not use to driving something without a tach or a little more sound effects lol and 55 in 3rd gear just seemed a bit high but if i shift into 4th sooner I dont feel like its got the get up and go

·
Registered
108 Posts
It probably has a taller 4th than our older Echo...ours still has juice left in 4th. Probably has something to do with mph legislation. Hopefully someone else knows more about this topic and will chime in eventually :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had just purchased the car yesterday and I think I'm getting a feel for what gears the rpms allow for. Just different from any other manual I've driven.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My '05 Echo hatchback has a factory tach. It it helps, on 5th gear at 70 mph you're exactly at 3K RPMs. From what I heard from an auto journalist, it looks like the transmission ratios were the same from 2000 through 2019, but the car got heavier at each model refresh.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts