·
Go camry goooooo
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
565 Posts
Drew, the one you chose looks pretty cool. I hear audiobahn is pretty good. Is the one in the picture 800 watts altogether?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Of the ones you've listed, I would probably spend my money on JL Audio. I like how they run the company and Manville Smith has been a helpful presence on the audio boards.

Having said that, getting good bass is easy and I'm sure any of the companies you're looking at have solutions that will please you.

Concerning your link. Three 12's in a leather box for under $300.00 sounds ridiculously inexpensive to me. Either you've found a hell of a deal or that box/woofers is not engineered as "tight" as it should be. I will say, however, I have listened to an Audiobahn sponsored car at an IASCA event and it did not impress me in the least. It was loud, though.

Good luck in your purchase.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i've thought MTX was decent... but then again i got it for free from my brother when circuit city was running a special.

Aduibahn and Kicker Comps are good subs that hit pretty hard.
I know a few people that own those.

But just like speakers you have to listen to them to see which is the best.

·
n3rd
92 Posts
I've had bad things about MTX, on my friends system they keep blowing (wiring is perfect). Whidh led us to believe they've been overrated (he wasn't using an MTX amp).

Personally I've had expierence with a-bahn being massively overrated. They "rate" their subs in very small enclosures, so when you put them in a real enclosure they won't function at the RMS you were led to believe.

Kicker's sound great, but they're becoming so popular they're overpriced.

JL is the shizzle my nizzle. I love em; but you might have problems with them during the warrenty period. If your JL subs will have any problems, its then, and you return them for free and get new ones. If your JL subs dont have problems during that period, then you're good! And they're not overrated.. a friend is pushing 900W RMS into a 300W RMS 3v2- I think he's an idiot, but they're still working. :)

The rockfords are "ok" personally I never liked the sound of their punch subs.. it just didn't do it for me, especially when they were right next to the JLs on the floor and I could switch between them. It was like night and day. Again, same problem with the Kickers, getting popular so getting overpriced.

What kind of amp are you going to use to drive this?

Why are you upgrading to 12s? Do you listen to rap and hip hop the most? All the time? never anything else? If you listen to techno, rave, rock, etc etc; don't upgrade to 12s- they won't be able to take it. A 10 sounds decent playing hip hop and rap, a 12 playing rave can't stop vibrating fast enough.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
ID MAX :D

·
Registered
470 Posts
I would go with three audiobahn aw1251t's, and a triple enclousure carpeted box.. U can get everything off of ebay. The speakers should run you no more that 160 shipped and the box should run you no more that 80 bucks shipped...

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
eddiem67 said:
How'd I know you were gonna say that ;)

JLs are very consistant performers. Albeit they are popular and command a bit of a premium, I think it's well spent. I had a minor problem with mine which I personally think stems from stupid design adn would have been warrantied if I had originally bought them from an authorized dealer. Other than that, like many others I'm satisfied (for now ;) ).

Another brand sub I've like for a while but haven't tried are Eclipse Titaniums :cool: I thought their aluminums were crazy enough.

If you want something alittle different, take a look at Xtant. The looks are just a gimmick. Surprisingly they get great reviews.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Yeah get the Image Dynamics IDMAX's those subs are hands down the best for spl and sq. If looking for SQ go for the IDQ's. They're the best sounding subs and very inexpensive.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Reading you guys post i gotta disagree with JL subs because they are not efficient. They draw a lot of power. JUst to play. but if you give it it's juice it sucks it up happily and play really good. JL are the caddy of subs. GASGUZZLER.

As for Xtant you can call it MTX. Cause MTX makes it. Just lower end MTX equipment. But personnally don't like MTX subs.

·
n3rd
92 Posts
finese1 said:
Reading you guys post i gotta disagree with JL subs because they are not efficient. They draw a lot of power. JUst to play. but if you give it it's juice it sucks it up happily and play really good. JL are the caddy of subs. GASGUZZLER.

As for Xtant you can call it MTX. Cause MTX makes it. Just lower end MTX equipment. But personnally don't like MTX subs.
At 91% power efficiency with JLs, I don't agree.

Kicker's a billion times worse, their power efficiency (85%?) is the worst I've ever seen

Take a look at the W0 line, they kick as hard as many 200W subs, and you power them with 100W.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I should have been specific. JL W7 is not efficient. MOst kicker subs are not efficient. I must rebute your statment about the W0 because most subs in that power range are very efficient.

The W7 have a sensitivty of 86 db which is very bad. It takes a lot more power to reach the loudness to a lets say Audiobahn 1208t which has a sensitivity of 93 db. A lot more efficient. But JL bass is a bit more cleaner and precise. It's a give or take. There is no perfect sub out there.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Power is the cheapest it's been in several years. Concerns for efficiency should take a back seat to Sound which takes a back seat to the thickness of the wallet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts