1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
4afte FTW
ae101,eg9,s14,expo
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
this is a friend of mine that build this and it runs like a Champ.:D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright guys...I have conversed with some of my friends on this build telling them of it and getting feedback on tech issues here and there but the biatch is finally done...(still waiting on dyno tune).

I own a 91 Toyota corolla 4door (ae92 chassis) this car factory has a map sensored 4afe (slug lol). I wanted to go turbo but decided otherwise...go turbo 4age swap....so instead of vetting a complete 4ag harness and ecu and all accessories blah blah blah...I had an idea...why not make a frankenstine by slapping a bigport head and dizzy on your fe block and use your harness so u have map sensored 4age....so that's what I did.

I picked up a bigport with extensive pnp and 5angle complete for 100 bucks...this thing was immaculate! And port work was huge and very professional...dude must have been on something to sell it for 100 lol...picked up a dizzy from early jdm 4age which had 24tooth bottom wheel and 4tooth top wheel (same as 4afe) slapped the head on with my custom bigport mani...which utilizes a 70mm throttle body from a mazda...and added turbo and all accesories and a safc and bam it runs...yes I had some issues here and there but nothing that wasn't easy to fix (my error to begin with).

This can also be done with the 7th gen Corolla , im building one right now. :thumbsup:

·
AE-202 Owner
Toyota Corolla
1,371 Posts
wow... monster car...
amazing work...

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Anything can be done...

Plug those holes on the intake tho, I think they lead directly to the plenum, so you're drawing air from them.

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
Dyno graph please!

Since you have a GE head, I don't think you can still consider it an FE.

Anyway, I'm anxious to see a dyno graph. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I already know you don't like me... but I don't really care.

welcome to 6+ years ago when me and a friend figured out how to use the 4afe ecu with a 4age.

few questions for you...

4age's are really only known for making power at higher rpm's... did you tackle the 4afe's 6250 rev limiter?

what ignitor are you using? If you're using the stock 4afe ignitor.... carry spares... LOTS of spares. they will go out at random... revving, slowing down, turning the car off, etc. There is 1 ignitor that is correct for this setup and I have not yet been able to get someone to send me just the ignitor yet..... and I've tried all the tricks getting the 4afe ignitor to last. (My first one lasted about 3 months.. 2nd one 1 day... I've had some last over a year)

yes, those bolt holes go straight through the manifolds... block them off or have a big 'ol vacuum leak.

Your tps isn't working properly. there's no fix for this unless you want to customize some bracketry. the early 4afe's (all ae92's) use a 3 wire switch tps where-as all 4age's use a 4 wire potentiometer style sensor... looks like you have either a pot style or a non toyota sensor... For some reason only toyota uses a 4 wire TPS, the 4th wire being an idle switch.... if you're using a 3 wire from another vehicle maker, most likely it's a pot style and sending incorrect information to the ecu. Not that big of a deal, but it doesn't let you get into base timing unless you know how to jumper the tps pins to trick it into idle mode (and I'm not talking about also having to jumper the diag port).

last... you should have used a smallport head..... the bigports had the t-vis in them for a reason... unless you're making 300hp or more there's no need for the over size of the bigport intake ports... if you have the t-vis plate in place then it's not working properly... if you don't... you really aren't making any power down low...

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Nice job man. Did you need to do any rewiring to get the big port dizzy to work?
it's not just a "bigport" dizzy.... it's a JDM/eurospec map based early bigport dizzy... which can NOT be found in the US at any parts stores.

on my setup we left the factory plugs in place.... set both dizzy's (4afe and 4age) side by side to ensure that the pickups were wired identically.... but it does require to extend the wiring about 3 feet (factory location is on the end of #4 on a 4afe... and the 4age is obviously hanging off the exhaust side of the #1). We ran our wiring with the stock wiring.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
yes, those bolt holes go straight through the manifolds... block them off or have a big 'ol vacuum leak.
Figures, its the same as on a 4A-FE, I wasnt sure about the GE manifold though.

and it doesnt look like theres T-VIS on it, the manifold looks to be too short in the pics, plus I cant see any actuator on it.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Figures, its the same as on a 4A-FE, I wasnt sure about the GE manifold though.

and it doesnt look like theres T-VIS on it, the manifold looks to be too short in the pics, plus I cant see any actuator on it.
yeah.... one bolt missing on a CSI on my wifes aw11 turned into a 3 day ordeal trying to figure out why it wouldn't idle.... stupid afm's.

if you look in the first pic there's either an adapter or a t-vis plate sandwiched between the intake and the head.

the actuator sits dead in the middle and under the manifold completely out of minds sight... and almost completely out of sight.... I don't look to see if they're connected, you have to feel for it.

·
Registered
93 toyota corolla
635 Posts
he did it again he built another monster corolla lol..... good work bro total props to you and the guys who built it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Wow he finally did something with it, although I don't see why this is worth anything, what are you gaining over stock bigport ecu and afm? your still running a ecu that is not made for boost that must be tricked into working somewhat decently. At least if he had the whole jdm map harness and everyhting to run the engine you could have a pnp A'pexi power FC. But for a tight budget I suppose you get the :clap:

looks to be a good choice for turbo 2860? also interested about redline.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
who said it couldn't be done? lol

GE head swaps have been around for a long time... the 7AGE swap (7AFE bottom/4AGE top) has been discussed here a few times.

Looks like a good build, I bet it'll dyno like a regular 4AGE.

·
BackYard Engineering
269 Posts
Btw a bit off topic, but since we on the topic of 4afe's, can you confirm the 4afe having 42 mm crank journals and 20 mm pins ?

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
If I remember correctly what people said could not be done was taking a stock 4af/e, pistons and all, and getting a viable engine worth the time with a ge head on it. If I also remember correctly the issue would have been the lower compression, but with the Turbo doesn't that turn into a good thing?

·
Registered
32 Posts
yes the lower compression is very beneficial for boost...especially because i spool my current setting of 8-10 under 3k rpm.....so that is why the tvis isnt on my car...all it would do is interfere

as for the igniter issue....i must say that you had some resistance in your wiring....because (not being a ass just dont know your proficiency in electronics) if you have wiring properly soldered and matched to the factory wiring gauge then nothing has changed....your igniters shouldnt be blowing ....mine has no problem whatsoever....as for the redline issue....i have a 7k redline on my 4afe ecu...dont know why but i always have ever since i got this car....and i dont need to go past that on boost anyway...its pointless for a mostly stock motor

and as for the we knew it could be done......ok maybe u have done it but obviously not shared your information because after completion of mine i thought...damn that was easy...wonder if anyone else has done this ....searched everywhere and your name came up twice saying you did it but no details involved....everyone else on every other board in the world said it was too expensive not worth it blah blah blah....basically they never tried it so they said it didnt work

and the dizzy....one i have is from a early smallport that i got of a junk yard here in florida a few days ago....the other is from a jdm map sensor 86....so im crossreferencing part numbers now because this dizzy of the 24-4 style was definitly in the states at one point in time...cuz it was in a ae92 gts smallport...usdm model

anyway i will share all info with anybody if they want to do the same....this car runs super strong guys...and the map sensor is greatly beneficial because u have the ability to change map sensors to a boost reading map sensor from 4afte 3sgte 2jztte 4agze and run bigger injectors and your computer reads boost and fuels accordingly though it doesnt know it lol....it works amazing....

later

·
Registered
32 Posts
Btw a bit off topic, but since we on the topic of 4afe's, can you confirm the 4afe having 42 mm crank journals and 20 mm pins ?

yup 6th gen rollas with 4afe have the same journal and bearing size as the 7rib bigport in the ae86.....because they utilize the same identical 7rib block....just different bolt in internals...so essentially if i were to bolt in bigport internals then i would have a full bigport running on my fe ecu

i already have the internals laying around but too lazy to swap them...and i like the nice low compression with the fe pistons and the big combustion chamber on the ge head....works beautifully

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.