Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello I am sorry if this has been asked a lot i tried searching for a topic like this but had no luck.

anyway i am a real idiot with cars but love the mr2.I plan to buy a mr2 turbo but have no clue what things to look for when inspecting a vehicle.

Can anyone here give me some help on what problems to look out for when buying a mr2? And what things i ahould ask the owner of the vehicle when talking to him/her?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd suggest reading the sticky thread. There is some great information in that FAQ which I used to help buy my first MR2 this past November. Its a good starting point, and the rest you can probably learn from the forum.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Just a few pointers for things to look at:

1. What kind of shape is the body in, especially the rumble strips?

2. How good are the syncros? (known weak point)

3. Are there any visible oil leaks?

4. Does the car fart blue smoke on start up? (valve seals are infamous for leaking when cold)

5. Is there any odd behavior when turning that might indicate problems with the strut mounts?(infamous)

6. Are the strut replacements OEM or something else? Either way, make sure you test the drivability, mixxed suspension components = bad juju.

7. How does the car look underneath for rust?

8. Do both windows and door lock switches work? (Wiring harness in drivers door also infamous)

9. Does the brake master cylinder still feel strong under heavy braking? (Had to replace mine a month after I got the car)

10. When you take the car to get checked out make sure that they test the wheels for play which might indicate issues with ball joints or wheel bearings.

11. If it's a T-top what kind of shape are the seals in? Any leaking?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts