Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everybody my name is Griffin I’m turning 18 in two months and recently I bought my girlfriend a 1999 Toyota corolla and since then I kind of fell in love with the way the car is and I was wondering if there was a Toyota Corolla or Celica in particular that was good for turning into a street car. Not something that’s going to be on the race track but some thing that can be a little bit quicker and fun to go fast on the highway with despite my age I’ve been working on cars since the age of five I’ve done a bunch of engine swaps and other things with my father so my knowledge is a mechanic is pretty concentrated. I just want to know whether or not there is a year in particular for the Corolla or Celica that would be better at taking a turbo than the rest what has the most aftermarket support and what year in particular would be the best in general I prefer manual windows and a manual transmission. Thanks I’m advance!

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,276 Posts
Welcome @Griffinwayne03.

The examples that come to mind are the 00-02 Celica gts with the 2zz power plant. The rating is 190hp from factory. It's a little bottle rocket, but it's size is small inside. Comes with automatic and 6 speed.

2005-2006 corolla xrs. This is also a 2zz powerplant, but has been detuned. From the factory, it's rated at 164 hp. It's a fun sedan with 6 speed transmission. I currently own one. 6 speed only.

2003-2004 matrix xrs. This one also has a 2zz and is rated for 180hp from factory. It is a 5 door hatchback. It's definitely different. The matrix comes in both automatic and 6 speed.

Edit : for turbo applications, you would want the 1zz engine. The compression is lower than the 2zz, but the difference is in the stroke. It's longer than the 2zz.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there anything from the 90s that you would suggest? The cars that you suggested are amazing but could I do the same thing that I would do to a 2000 Celica to a 2000 Corolla because I’ve been told that they are basically the same car and IMO The 90s Toyotas look slightly better.
Thank you for responding!!!

·
Mr. Roo
Super Moderator
11,406 Posts
I'd definitely look more into the Celica side of things , if you're looking for a more "fun" or "respectable" street+ car from the 90s. Nothing really on the Corolla side that would fit the bill during this decade. But, anything can be made faster really.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Manual windows, manual steering, one fan belt with AC. No timing belt, handles superbly with KYB GR's and these 15X5.5 wheels that came off a mini and some nice 195/55/15, and if driven carefully better than 40 MPG per tank. I'd bet it would be a blast with a supercharger but it's fine for this old man just the way it is and insurance and taxes are a joke.
I was driving 1500 miles a month for less than $100 including gas, insurance, tags and taxes and even a state inspection and an oil change, all for less that $100 a month. Filled it 11/3120 and added 10 gallons at 435 miles. Now sitting on half a tank at just over 700 miles total in 43 days. Spray bomb paint job cost me $65.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
No matter what you price the insurance.

In the heyday of supercars I had a 1959 Corvette with a 71 Z28 engine and transmission. Replaced the 4.11 rear axle with a 3.08 that cost me $25 and it got low 20's MPG. A trooper got me for 63 in a 55 zone and I was so pissed off he noticed and told me it was no big deal and come to court after I told him my insurance was $285 a year when some people were paying thousands and many of the old hi-po cars were parked due to insurance costs. Went to court and the trooper had the charge nul-processed due to incomplete paperwork, charges dropped in 5 minutes. 47 years ago.

My insurance on the Echo is less than that Corvette at less than $200 a year when combined with the Sienna. I was 23 when I owned the Corvette, paid $2000 for it. Black on Black with hardtop, no soft top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.