Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Highlander Sport with OEM sensors. About to get new tires, and was thinking on refreshing all 5 tires with new sensors... Since people say the average life is about 7yrs, therefore i am overdue.... Sooooooo, with that said. The newer OEM part number is 42607-33012. Made by Pacific Industrial Co. (Japan)

The cost of these are about 70 each, net to $ 350 overall. The issue is that I saw some sensors supposedly new sensors on ebay Generic Toyota part # 42607-33021 that they say it fits and works with our HL being part# PMV-107J.
Heres the link:

You guys think this will work ? And if made by toyota , why such a big difference.in price ??
Any help, input, will be appreciated it !
Are these original toyota ??.. mmmmm will they last ?

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Highland
66 Posts
Denso makes the Toyota sensors. Amazon has the Denso TPMS for half the price of what you say Toyota wants them for. I changed one of my dead one out with this Denso TPMS. Do note that it is a bit of a pain to delete and then add a new TPMS to replace the old one for Toyota. Need a Techstream hookup to do it.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,704 Posts
I have a TPMS sensor that is bad, which is keeping my TPMS light on all the time. For that much money, though, I stick to monitoring my tires the old-fashioned way by using my Mark One eyeball and a pressure gauge.

·
7,495 Posts
My commuter, being 98 Ford, has crap:poop: for technology.
But, it has those now - and they work
:ROFLMAO::geek:
MOF, for less than $300, I have hands free, SXM, CAI, 4 USB ports plus one in headunit, BT streaming, dashcam, gate opener control. All I need is backup cam, as The Whale is hard to figure where the VAST trunk ends and wall starts and I'll be pretty much up to date on conveniences.

·
6,423 Posts
I have a TPMS sensor that is bad, which is keeping my TPMS light on all the time. For that much money, though, I stick to monitoring my tires the old-fashioned way by using my Mark One eyeball and a pressure gauge.
I found a brand new Denso OEM sensor for like $25 bucks for the video I made above...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is my video on how to replace one.
You could just as easily replace 5
From where and for how much did you buy techstream?

Walmart took a scanner around my wheels and told me 3 of the TPMS sensors on my 2007 Camry had gone bad, but they didnt have enough to change them all. Having red the reviews, it seems like Denso(outsourced to Pacific Industries) makes OEM TPMS sensors for Toyota - i plan to get these.

A little concerned if Walmart can relearn/program these. Are re-learn and program the same? Walmart charges $10.95 to install a sensor and re-learn is free.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To relearn you have to manually input the 4 wheels OR all 5 wheel sensors (if you have a full spare some vehicle have sensors in the spare) into the computer.
I found techstream was too complicated to install in computer and make it work. HOWEVER, there is tool called ATEQ Quickset TPMS you can use to input those new serial numbers of the Denso tpms to the car via OBd2 (cable comes in package about 100 bucks everything).. .. BY THE WAY , the Denso tpms sold here in USA are the same denso tpms made by pacific, you can find them for about 34 dollars each new.. try summitracing

·
6,423 Posts
From where and for how much did you buy techstream?
While we do not allow the sharing of places to find pirated software, I can say look online in the usual LARGE ecommerce websites. One rhymes with barclay, the other where the rain forest located LOL
It's typically found for $25 to $40ish bucks with the software and the usb to ODBII for it included in the price... (You will need to provide the laptop yourself)

·
Registered
42 Posts
My tire shop sold me clone-able TPMS sensors when I mounted winter tires on separate wheels. They cloned the sensors for the winter tires to the same code that the OEM sensors in the summer tires use. When I change from winter to summer tires and vice-versa there is no need to reprogram the TPMS as would be the case if each set of tires had sensors with different codes in them. As far as the car is concerned the same set of tires is on the car year 'round since it is always reading the same codes coming from the wheels regardless of which set is on the car.

When I replace the summer (actually all season tires, but they don't cut it up here in NH winters) tires soon I will have the OEM sensors (now over seven years old and going strong but who knows for how much longer) replaced with cloned sensors so the car will continue to think the same set of sensors is in use all the time.

The clone-able sensors were fifty bucks each, installed and programmed. I have no idea what the equipment to program them with cloned codes would cost or what the sensors would cost from Ebay or someplace. At that fairly reasonable price I just went with the shop.

Anyhow, you could get new sensors cloned to match your OEM sensors and install them. Then you would not need to pay to have your car's TPMS system reprogrammed to accept new OEM or aftermarket sensors that have different codes than your car is set up for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts