Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to know what brand of gas you use, octance, and what type of Corolla are you driving?

The reason I ask this is because fueling my car ever since I bought it using Costco gas octane 87. I averaged at about 26MPG with about 90% city.
I just recently thought of fueling with Shell Octane 87, since I heard it is better and cleaner gas. Now my HUD reads about 29MPG.

Is it really possible to gain 3-4 mpg by switching to a "cleaner" & "better" gas brand? And will a higher octane help my mpg/power? I know the manual says 87 but I know some people who fuel their corolla's with the premium stuff of Octane 91/92.

What are you guys/girls thoughts on this?

·
Registered
Slate '14 Corolla LE
94 Posts
I have a LE base. I mainly use shell 87, sometimes 91 on tuesdays when its the same price as 89. Also use luca fuel injector cleaner once a month. Drive 80% highway and been getting 43 mpg on the highway. 37-38 combined.

·
Registered
'14 Corolla
40 Posts
LE+ Shell 87 cuz it's most of the time, cheaper or same price as costco here. most all my driving is city (i'd say 95-97%) with some highway if i decide to use the freeway in lieu of city streets, same distances though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
So I want to know what brand of gas you use, octance, and what type of Corolla are you driving?

Whatever is on sale or whatever is available when I need gas. 87 octane. S Plus

The reason I ask this is because fueling my car ever since I bought it using Costco gas octane 87. I averaged at about 26MPG with about 90% city.
I just recently thought of fueling with Shell Octane 87, since I heard it is better and cleaner gas. Now my HUD reads about 29MPG.

For the most part, gas is gas. What makes it different by brand is the additives they use. It's mostly cleaners and what not. I'm sure, using tier 1 gas will help in the long run. http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Is it really possible to gain 3-4 mpg by switching to a "cleaner" & "better" gas brand? And will a higher octane help my mpg/power? I know the manual says 87 but I know some people who fuel their corolla's with the premium stuff of Octane 91/92.

Using a higher octane will not help mpg/power. If anything, it will decrease it so save your $.

What are you guys/girls thoughts on this?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Unless your car specifies higher octane it will not do you any good. Higher octane fuel is not more powerful, it just does not ignite under higher compression or due to valve timing changes where the higher compression or valve timing changes give you more HP, not the fuel itself.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,329 Posts
I use Shell 87 have always noticed a little better MPG compared to cheaper fuels so I just prefer to keep the engine cleaner with the better additive packages. Don't use premium gas as it's just a waste of money & it has less energy in it then 87 octane. The other negative it that using higher octane gas in an engine not designed for it will add carbon deposits that will cause trouble later. Save your money & stick to using a quality 87 octane like Shell, Chevron or 76. :thumbsup:

·
Ukrainian Automotive
334 Posts
Premium gas is a waste of money in cars like a Corolla. The higher the octane the more resistive the fuel is to burn. You use higher octane in performance vehicles with a high compression ratio to prevent pre detonation. Although when I went to visit family in New Mexico I noticed their octane ratings were different. Instead of 87, 89, 93 like it is in Texas, New Mexico's was 86, 88, 91.

Reactions: 1MoreFord

·
Registered
82 Posts
I use shell 87 and I have been averaging about 21MPG city, 27highway with the big heavy 19 inch rims, sounds and air suspension gear in the trunk. I remember when I was stock with the 17 inch rims I was averaging about 27 city 35 highway.... I have traded MPGs for all the other stuff I have :-/

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,329 Posts
Premium gas is a waste of money in cars like a Corolla. The higher the octane the more resistive the fuel is to burn. You use higher octane in performance vehicles with a high compression ratio to prevent pre detonation. Although when I went to visit family in New Mexico I noticed their octane ratings were different. Instead of 87, 89, 93 like it is in Texas, New Mexico's was 86, 88, 91.
Where in NM do you have family? I've got friends & family all over the state. :D

As you climb in elevation the octane needed goes down. All of the western states that are higher in elevation have lower octane ratings. I remember when I lived in Colorado the octane ratings were 85/87/89. ;)

Reactions: MRussel

·
Ukrainian Automotive
334 Posts
Where in NM do you have family? I've got friends & family all over the state. :D

As you climb in elevation the octane needed goes down. All of the western states that are higher in elevation have lower octane ratings. I remember when I lived in Colorado the octane ratings were 85/87/89. ;)
My family over there live in Albuquerque. If I remember correctly I think they are almost a mile above sea level.

·
10th Gen Addict
2011 Toyota Corolla
3,401 Posts
I use Esso gas just because of Esso points!:D But I did notice it gives me better MPG than the gas I used to put in my Corolla.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,329 Posts
91 octane mobil

Why? Because its more cleaner fuel + I get more mpg.
Using higher octane fuel will cause carbon deposits & issues down the road. You will also get worse mpg in controlled testing. Getting only 1 mpg more isn't enough of a difference to be ruled out as being caused by other factors.

My family over there live in Albuquerque. If I remember correctly I think they are almost a mile above sea level.
That is true, Albuquerque is a mile high just like Denver, even higher closer to the mountains in the heights. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Camry LE
53 Posts
Both Gas Stations claim 87 Octane...but ...

My wife's 97' Corolla does not like the Shell gas that my 94' Camry uses all the time with no problem.

My Camry runs fine on regular Shell. I drive the freeway about 125 miles per week.
I "was" putting the same Shell gas in my wife's car until ......

The other day her car had a major fit when she was driving across town. It had all the symptoms of "water in the gas." So I put a bottle of heet in the tank and when we went somewhere in that same car an hour or so later, it had no problem at all!
Here, she had thought it needed to go to the mechanic for repair.

So, Does anyone know why my Camry runs fine on the same fuel that causes a problem for the Corolla?
Engine type, size, etc .. ?

Her Corolla hardly ever gets freeway use.

·
6-Speed Master
2014 Corolla S 6MT
999 Posts
Could have just been a bad batch, or the in-ground tank was REALLY low when you filled up and was sucking up all the crud from the bottom of the in-ground tank.

My Focus was temperamental with cheap gas (would idle like shit and throw the Check Gas Cap light), but the major brands (Shell, Chevron, Arco, 7-11), it did fine with.

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Camry LE
53 Posts
Thanks for the reply. When she realized that it was the gas she tells me (I'd forgotten) that when she gets gas at the Chevron station the car runs normal.
When it had this problem the other day it was "chugging" missing really bad, no power, etc..
Now, after I posted she tells me it's pinging again. Could it be that she should take it on the freeway more often??

·
6-Speed Master
2014 Corolla S 6MT
999 Posts
If she does a lot of city driving and drives slowly, I'd throw a tank of 91 in it with a bottle of fuel injector cleaner, take it on the freeway, and get the engine to redline, drive rough with it for about 10 minutes. That will get the heads nice and hot and get the engine to cough up all the carbon build-up on the heads and pistons.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts