Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
back again? yeah, i am.
1992 Toyota Camry
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k....i jus emailed Duplicolor and asked if their Mettalcast spray is ceramic based....i asked this cus im makin my CAI and want good heat protection to keep the air nice and cold.....they said it is acrylic based....will that do anything to deter the heat?....another idea i had was taking their high heat engine paint then after a couple of coats sand it a little and then put on the Mettalcast to get that finish....will this work?....thanks

·
Sweet n' Lowdown
2006 Scion tC
16,189 Posts
Acrylic = plastic ... so no, it won't offer any heat protection. Use a high temp ceramic paint and run the car nice and hot so it sets (or bake it in your parents oven) then cover it with a high temp epoxy enamel for a nice finish. :thumbup:

·
Sweet n' Lowdown
2006 Scion tC
16,189 Posts
Metallics... hmm, nope. Enamels and Epoxys are usually a hard glossy finish. Try a few final coats with a high temp metallic acrylic or metallic acrylic enamel.
500º should do it. I did my heat shields with 500º and they look perfect, the only thing I needed to re touch w/1000º or 1500º was the bolts that go from the shield to the manifold.

·
back again? yeah, i am.
1992 Toyota Camry
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thtats what im goin to do final coats....should a sand the ceramic paint first to get a better paintin surface

·
Sweet n' Lowdown
2006 Scion tC
16,189 Posts
sand and prep the surface well, spray it with a matte hi-temp 500º ceramic paint, get it good and hot so the paint cures correctly and then hit it with your hi-temp 500º glossy metalic :thumbup:

It should work. The matte hi-temp 500º ceramic paint should act as a primer, only the matte tho, as the semi-gloos and/or glossy will not accept the metallic coat as well.

good luck

·
back again? yeah, i am.
1992 Toyota Camry
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^should i sand the matte after curing but before final coats to get it to adhese better???

·
permanent hiatus
735 Posts
hey guys, i bought some matte black high temp paint w/ceramic by duplicolor. i was hoping to paint my muffler with it. but, i dont want glossy - i just want matte black, so this is all i will be using. should i sand btwn coats or will it be fine? if yes, what grit sandpaper should i use?

and... how long should i expect the paint to last after it cures (taking into consideration the daily exposure to sunlight, water, and other potentially corrosive elements)?

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
ryuji16 said:
hey guys, i bought some matte black high temp paint w/ceramic by duplicolor. i was hoping to paint my muffler with it. but, i dont want glossy - i just want matte black, so this is all i will be using. should i sand btwn coats or will it be fine? if yes, what grit sandpaper should i use?
You can sand between coats if you want. You'll get a smoother finish and it'll help the coats of paint stick to each other.

Use 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and wet sand between coats.

and... how long should i expect the paint to last after it cures (taking into consideration the daily exposure to sunlight, water, and other potentially corrosive elements)?
The paint should last quite awhile. Its made to hold up against heat, oil, gas, etc..

·
permanent hiatus
735 Posts
thanks

btw, this wet sand thing... i want to make sure im doing it right. all you do is wet the surface when its dry, sand, then rinse? will this remove all the particles, just by rinsing? and another thing, what makes wet sanding different from regular sanding w/600 grit?

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
ryuji16 said:
btw, this wet sand thing... i want to make sure im doing it right. all you do is wet the surface when its dry, sand, then rinse?
No, you want it (whatever your sanding) to be wet all the time.

Use a water hose and keep it running over the muffler while you sand. Don't go crazy with the sanding though. Your not trying to remove the paint, just smooth and level it out.

After your done sanding, rinse off the muffler, dry it off, spray next coat of paint, let the paint dry, and wetsand again.

Don't sand the last coat of paint though.

and another thing, what makes wet sanding different from regular sanding w/600 grit?
Water. ;)

And you use a different kind of sandpaper (wet/dry) when wet sanding.

You can get wet/dry sandpaper at any autoparts store.

·
permanent hiatus
735 Posts
ok thx buddy

i meant to start sanding when the paint is dry. but i get what youre saying.

how do i get rid of the rust on the hangers? since im already down there i think ill paint the hangers too cuz theyre all rusted and stuff. can the rust be sanded off?

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
ryuji16 said:
how do i get rid of the rust on the hangers? since im already down there i think ill paint the hangers too cuz theyre all rusted and stuff. can the rust be sanded off?
Yeah, you can sand off the rust.

However you'll have to use a coarser sandpaper, 600 is not gunna cut it for rust.

Try 80 - 220 grit sandpaper depending on how bad the rust is. The lower the number on the sandpaper the coarser it is.

·
permanent hiatus
735 Posts
hey guys, i tried out my paint on my valve cover... it didnt really adhere, i can still scratch it off with my finger nail, even after "curing" it by running it in my engine bay for a few days. i mustve done about 4 layers, wet sanded between the 2nd and third layers.

the paint is made by duplicolor... i saw the bbq paint but i went with this instead because i thought it would work better since its made for cars and has ceramic in it. is the bbq paint different, do u guys think it might work better? or should i have done more layers?

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
^ Did you let the paint dry completely before you reinstalled the valve cover?

And did you clean the valve cover before painting it?

I've painted my valve cover, intake manifold, and cai with the same paint (Dupli-Color high temp engine enamel).

·
permanent hiatus
735 Posts
wow that looks awesome... how many coats is that?

anyway, yea i did clean it and stuff... and i let the paint dry for a few hours before reinstalling it.

but heres the thing, that area scratches but some areas dont. im guessing the coats were not even, and i must have scratched an area where the coverage was thinner (it was on one of the vertical sides, which i didnt make the best effort to get the best angle when spraying). the top surface is pretty durable. maybe i need another coat?

uh... do you mind posting exactly what you did for your headers there? thats a really nice job. i found your thread a while back, found some nice pics, you got any painting tips or tricks for me? maybe... youre doing something that im not...

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
ryuji16 said:
wow that looks awesome... how many coats is that?

anyway, yea i did clean it and stuff... and i let the paint dry for a few hours before reinstalling it.
A few coats (3 - 4) of paint and a few coats (3 - 4) of clear.

You should let the paint dry for like a day or so. Few hours is not enough.

but heres the thing, that area scratches but some areas dont. im guessing the coats were not even, and i must have scratched an area where the coverage was thinner (it was on one of the vertical sides, which i didnt make the best effort to get the best angle when spraying). the top surface is pretty durable. maybe i need another coat?
I would sand off the paint from that area and paint it again.

uh... do you mind posting exactly what you did for your headers there? thats a really nice job. i found your thread a while back, found some nice pics, you got any painting tips or tricks for me? maybe... youre doing something that im not...
1. I cleaned it (intake manifold) with simple green and water.

2. Dry it off.

3. Masked off the areas I didn't want to paint with masking tape.

4. Sprayed a few light coats of paint, waiting about 15 - 20 mins between each coat.

5. Sprayed a few light coats of clear, waiting about 15 - 20 mins between each coat.

6. Let it sit and dry for a day or so.

Tips & tricks:

1. Use light coats. Heavy coats of paint take longer to dry and you'll have more of a chance for paint runs.

2. Give the paint some time (15 - 20mins) to dry between each coat.

3. After your last coat of paint, let whatever your painting dry for a day or so. Even though its dry in a few hours, the paint is not fully cured yet.

4. Don't hold the button down and spray like crazy. You waste alot of paint and don't get good coverage.

Start from before the object your painting and spray past it. Nice light even coats is what you want.

·
permanent hiatus
735 Posts
what would i do when i paint my muffler, if i have to let it dry for a whole day? its stuck on my car...

what kind of clear coat did you use?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts