Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to drive to San Diego and back this weekend, about 400 miles, and my brakes are shot. I mean, you can smell them burning. Is it extremely unsafe to drive in these conditions? Will they fail suddenly or will I be able to tell if they start to get mushy? I was intending to get them fixed before now but didn't receive the parts in time. I appreciate any thoughts.

Bark

·
Registered
40 Posts
well... if u let them get metal to metal, they will either lock up everytime you hit the pedal, or they wont want to work at all, plus you will ruin you're disc/drum. i'd stop at a brake/muffler shop(like midas) and at least have 'em look at the brakes, they generally will do a free estimate and let u know what ur dealing with...

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would not risk it you may be able to just get pads unless damage already done to rotors.

If you smell something you may have other problems.

CW

·
Official TN OT Hater
250 Posts
when your brakes run out, your car does not stop as fast, simple....and you'll mess up the rotors... its not hard to change them.. takes about an hour if you work with someone.. ( an hour first time doing it)

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
rotors are easy to change, but I think it's not worth the money in replacing rotors when all you need to do is replace pads.

Pads are a $30-$50 expense depending on your selection. If you wear down the rotors, you'll be dropping another $100 on rotors (providing it's the front that's worn, and not your rear drums).

If you're willing, I'd say just do the pads, it's an easy job, just pop off the wheels, take the caliper off, slide the rotor out and spray some anti-squeel lubricant on the back of the (new) pads, then just swap out the pads, it's rather straight forward.

To put 'em back on, just slide the rotor back in and have a helper to hold the rotor/caliper in place while you bolt the caliper back on and line the rotor up with the wheel studs.

·
97 BlackWidowed
camry
626 Posts
yeah serously, brakes arent somthign to be messing around with or going cheap on...... next thing you know you cant stop and you hit somthing or SOME ONE

·
A Lone Wolf
98 Posts
actually a pair of rotors are only about 50 bucks...

but yea, my friend let his pads wear all the way down and when he put water on his rotors, they would smoke, lol.

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
wed3k said:
actually a pair of rotors are only about 50 bucks...

but yea, my friend let his pads wear all the way down and when he put water on his rotors, they would smoke, lol.
$50 if you buy some shitty rotors that will warp in a year, yeah.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Sounds to me like you already fucked up your rotors. Your gonna have to keep your hand on your shifter to get ready to downshift just in case your brakes REALLY fail.

·
Grenaded piston
6,580 Posts
CrawlingEye said:
rotors are easy to change, but I think it's not worth the money in replacing rotors when all you need to do is replace pads.
Just replacing the pads is a bad idea. If the rotors are bad, replace them. Otherwise have them turned/resurfaced.

If you just slap a set of pads onto a used rotor the pads will wear prematurely.

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
88 LE said:
Just replacing the pads is a bad idea. If the rotors are bad, replace them. Otherwise have them turned/resurfaced.

If you just slap a set of pads onto a used rotor the pads will wear prematurely.
I meant if his rotors are ok now but his brakes are wearing down (warning strip is grinding) that it would be a better idea to fix the pads now then wait until the pads are completely gone and grind the rotors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts