Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Sold out for a Max
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help.

I got bored and painted a design on my headlights. I like them sometimes but at other times I don't. What can I do to remove the paint. I can't really afford new lights right now. Sand em? What? Help a brotha out.:(

·
Boondock Saint
280 Posts
I tried the toothpaste thing to get rid of headlight yellowing and it didn't do jack shit. If anything it make the headlights foggier. You can always snag a pair of headlights from a local junkyard. They should be like 50 or 60 bucks for the pair.

·
Registered
32 Posts
try some bologne( i think i spelled it right,ham) i know if left in the sun for a periord of time ham can remove paint maybe it will work on your headlights:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Sweet n' Lowdown
2006 Scion tC
16,189 Posts
TheMajesticking said:
Toothpaste will remove paint? i doubt it.
I only majored in painting at the top art/design school in the country... wtf would I know. :rolleyes:

The reason why it will work is because plastic is non-porous, which means very little paint has actually permiated the material. With the majority of the pigment sitting on the surface you should be able to remove it by buffing with a mild abrasive such as a paste wax or toothpaste. ...and a bit of elbow greese.

89SV21 -
If they got foggier you prolly used a toothpaste other than a plain paste which was more abrasive or a whitening toothpaste that not only was more abrasive but also had a bleaching agent in it, i.e. acid.

ryuji16 -
Rubbing compound is WAY too abrasive.

·
Sold out for a Max
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
They look like this Oo oO
It looks a bit creepy and really resembles a benz but I could have done a neater job. I missed a bit of the beam pattern by like an inch. I will get some pics up this weekend. Give me a little bit of time. by the way, thanks for all the help guys.:thumbup:

I only majored in painting at the top art/design school in the country... wtf would I know.:rolleyes:
My bad.:D

·
permanent hiatus
735 Posts
BLUEMEANIE said:
Polishing compound is less abrasive than rubbing compound.
damn that autozone employee... i was told the opposite.

when you use toothpaste, how do you get it off? with water? cuz it gets sticky when i try it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts