Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive around a 2018 Camry, but I still haven't gotten myself to like the center dash (HVAC and Infotainment controls).

Am I the only one who doesn't like it? What are your complaints?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only complaint I truly have with the Infotainment system is the fact that I have to manually go in and select "Apple Carplay" to use it instead of it automatically engaging once I connect my phone. Outside of that, I think it's a pretty nice design from Toyota.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If only they kept the design simplistic like the previous gen and the buttons weren't so tiny. Also they could've really used a similar design like the Avalon/RAV4. I didn't like the fact that the bottom of the center console is sort of like a triangle with one additional AC control button on the bottom which it robs space from the storage area. They have plenty of space to fit that button above and could've simply made the bottom of the console squared off to create space. Another thing is the design of it robs some bit of leg space from the passenger side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I drive around a 2018 Camry, but I still haven't gotten myself to like the center dash (HVAC and Infotainment controls).

Am I the only one who doesn't like it? What are your complaints?
I do like the overall look of it I just hate how it collects so much dust and the slight delay it can have when you first turn on the car and want to go from radio to Bluetooth audio. The infotainment as a whole could be a bit more responsive.

·
Official TN Member from Ontario, Canada
114 Posts
It is a dust magnet but I keep some wipes in my car which come in handy for a quick clean. Also, the knobs felt a bit small but I have since added the button-circle trims from Aliexpress so now they are fine. Overall, I like the center dash.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I DESPISE touch screens in a motor vehicle. Buttons and tactile ‘home’ indicators significantly reduce the amount of attention and processing your brain needs to do.

I DESPISE large electronic panels shining light at me at night.

I dislike the lag of the touchscreen.

I dislike the relative inability to replace the radio if I want something different that’s not just another tablet.

I also dislike a separate on/off button vs having the fan control shut the system off.

·
1,626 Posts
I DESPISE touch screens in a motor vehicle. Buttons and tactile ‘home’ indicators significantly reduce the amount of attention and processing your brain needs to do.
May it be touchpads, dials, a small mouse, or audi's virtual cockpit, having to control a screen when you are driving sucks. I'd rather use my voice to control the screen but no car has perfected the voice control yet.

I DESPISE large electronic panels shining light at me at night.
You can dim the lights and the infotainment screen to make it tolerable. That's one of the first things I did.

I dislike the lag of the touchscreen.
Ehh, I've been in audi's and BMW's and Lexus' and they all lag. It's a common issue with all infotainment systems.

I dislike the relative inability to replace the radio if I want something different that’s not just another tablet.
Might be intentional or because everything is connected to the infotainment system now, its harder to change it. Though it can be done but you will lose features.

I also dislike a separate on/off button vs having the fan control shut the system off.
It's faster to press the off button than having to turn the dial or press the button all the way to the off position. What if the fan speed was at 5 bars, you will have to press it 5 times or hold it down for 2 seconds when you can just press the off button once. Also, when you turn the fan back on, it keeps the last fan speed and temperature you had it on which is convenient.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I wish turning the fan speed all the way down turned it off, instead of having a separate Off button.
This. The lowest fan speed is still too strong for me and annoys me until I have to shut it off. But then the AC is completely off so I have to turn the damn fan On again to have AC. On other cars I had the option to leave the climate setting on with just the air flow coming from the exterior. It surprises me how some simple things are just screwed on this modern car.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It's faster to press the off button than having to turn the dial or press the button all the way to the off position. What if the fan speed was at 5 bars, you will have to press it 5 times or hold it down for 2 seconds when you can just press the off button once. Also, when you turn the fan back on, it keeps the last fan speed and temperature you had it on which is convenient.
The fan speed is a knob that I can easily find without taking my eyes off the road, and just spin it to the left until the fan is off. Having a button means I have to take my eyes off the road to find it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Even with the touchscreen lag, I never use the push buttons (Home, Audio, Menu, etc) on both sides of the display. I think they could have gotten rid of them and with that extra space given us a larger display. I don't like thin shape. I would prefer a bigger flat surface for my finger if I were to use them.

Do you ever use those push buttons?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Even with the touchscreen lag, I never use the push buttons (Home, Audio, Menu, etc) on both sides of the display. I think they could have gotten rid of them and with that extra space given us a larger display. I don't like thin shape. I would prefer a bigger flat surface for my finger if I were to use them.

Do you ever use those push buttons?

View attachment 283022
I use those on the left pretty often. I never use those on the right.

I never use the smaller round button. That one is definitely there just to fill the space.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Push-button fan controls are dumb. Knobs are for fan adjustments.

The little knob is for things like adjusting to HD2 & 3 sub-channels. We use it all the time.

Turning down the brightness on the display isn’t close to enough. It’s one thing if you’re always in a city under street lights, but quite another in dark rural areas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The complaints I have is I wish the SiriusXM with presets was the default home screen, having to go to menu the select apple CarPlay , when customizing which items and arrangement the map is always there in the background, I love the design but it seems l always have to press a button to this or that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts