Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
iAzn
1988 toyo Corolla DX
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea, I'm trying to look for like a subtle sound. I hate the high pitch sounds of a typical fart can, I hear them everywhere. I guess something that sounds familiar to the sounds of a Infiniti G35... I like how they sound especially when you floor it.

·
Registered
1992 Celica GT
1,290 Posts
Well if you have to...

just get a larger one, the more baffling and the longer it is the more the sound will be mellowed out and muffled. There's a guy with a civic at my high school with one about a foot long and sounds awful, like holding a weedwacker next to your ear. However, the 4a engines though do usually have a slightly better sounding exhaust. Before I'd do a glasspack I'd probably go with a turbo muffler. Or an HKS sport cat back, eage8's sounds pretty damn good.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
I would imagine that it would be near impossible to replicate the exhaust note of a V6 from an I4 engine.

The VQ exhaust to me sounds more like a mechanical drone, not really exciting to say the least.

·
Homer Lusk Collyer
AE92
1,144 Posts
I've got a pretty good sounding exhaust. Nice and deep, throaty growl when you floor it.

How'd I do it? Simple, let the stock exhaust rust away at the entry to the muffler. Looks stock, sounds sporty, gives great performance. What's not to love?

The car also sounded awesome with the exhaust manifold removed. Certainly not something you'd want to drive though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
unfortunately you need to play around. Every exhaust is different if you custom build it. My Cavalier for instance has had all kinds of different exhaust parts on it and every minor detail drastically changed the exhaust note. Right now I have a 4-1 header, 2.25" piping, a resonator, a stock cat from a BMW 318i and a Dynomax Thrush Turbo muffler. I don't like the sound with the cat, it's too muffled, but then again I'm used to running straight header-muffler pipe.
Generally, the more expensive the muffler/catback the less ricey it will sound. The more money put into development of the exhaust work will sound better.
I'm hoping to get the HKS catback and a OBX 4-2-1 header for the AE92. That should sound pretty sweet.

·
Homer Lusk Collyer
AE92
1,144 Posts
Does anyone have experience with those dual-loop exhausts you see for Hondas? Those seem like a good idea if the sound is decent.

Walker OEM-style mufflers are only about $50 on eBay... I've got one waiting for some welding.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I thought I read somewhere on here, so don't take my word for it, that someone put on a long tube cherry bomb muffler and it produced a low throaty sound that wasn't too ricey. Cheap fix if it sounded right.

·
Registered
1992 Celica GT
1,290 Posts
My friend has a long tube cherry bomb on his alero, which is a 2.4L I4 and it sounded pretty decent, still rather loud though.

I've avoided doing anything to the exhaust, I'd rather not flaunt my 100hp engine

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
Hell people were complimenting the sound of my exhaust at the meets and such when the muffler had rotted off and basically was there but not connected anymore lol. I went to car quest and picked one up (so far it's life span has been double that of the orginal muffler I had) just picked one off the shelf and it sounded ok, got lucky I guess.

·
iAzn
1988 toyo Corolla DX
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The mating point that goes over the right rear wheel well, the rust cut off the exhaust pipe completely. My friends said it sounded like I had a turbo or something... I rather have my exhaust rustless.

This is what I did yesterday, the damn rust cut off my pipe from the resonator back. So I cut the entire resonator off and put a pipe in its place. Mind the note, my friends always talk about my cars being rusty in some places.

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
yeah in the past 3 years I have completely replaced the exhaust. Without the muffler cost as it was a gift. The cat back cost be around 160 ish I think. Down pipe was 140 (shop price for the part, got lucky with that) and the cat was $182 which should be on by this weekend. The cat on the 4af is pretty expensive and hard to find, the 4afe piece is smaller with a tube off the back you clamp on... mine is one piece rather than 2, also has an air tube.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
I had a Ractive straight thru dual tip muffler on my old GTS, sounded great BUT it was loud as fuck, specially on the highway, annoying as hell as I was on the highway all day. :lol: :slap:

Honestly, any straight thru mufflers will sound the same, you have to pay the big bucks for an HKS to get a decent sound OR maybe get an OBX or any copy of the Mugen twin loop for the old Civic/CRX's, I love that design and I'm itching to hear this on an AE92. :D

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
yeah they can be pretty loud on the hwy. Mine gets really loud as you bring the rpm up and I have a straight through. You get used to it though. I don't really notice how loud it is unless someone is in the car trying to talk to me, I have an issue where if you talk around the same volume as other noises around me I can't hear a damn thing you are saying, one girl gets irritated when I ask her to talk louder but unfortunately for her I like how my exhaust sounds :). My mom actually told me one time in it that she likes how it sounds, sounds cool apparently.

·
Registered
336 Posts
yeah they can be pretty loud on the hwy. Mine gets really loud as you bring the rpm up and I have a straight through. You get used to it though. I don't really notice how loud it is unless someone is in the car trying to talk to me, I have an issue where if you talk around the same volume as other noises around me I can't hear a damn thing you are saying, one girl gets irritated when I ask her to talk louder but unfortunately for her I like how my exhaust sounds :). My mom actually told me one time in it that she likes how it sounds, sounds cool apparently.

I wish I knew what exhaust is on mine, it's was all newly installed when I got her. Nice low throaty sound but too loud for me. All the kids that pull up beside me want to race thinking I got some power house ricer under the hood. I can still kick there butts though but that's experience with age and driving, lol. I'm not a racer, I just like to drive these little cars, zippy on the roads.

When you get to my age you've learned how to tune out a woman's voice and are to deaf to notice the exhaust sometimes because you've got the radio so loud just to hear it, lol.:lol:

·
Registered
89 corolla sr5
108 Posts
Before you spend any money take the muffler off and see how you like it. If you pipe is very rusty you can always poke holes in it.

Remember Occam's razer: The simplest explanation is often the best. :thumbsup:

·
iAzn
1988 toyo Corolla DX
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Before you spend any money take the muffler off and see how you like it. If you pipe is very rusty you can always poke holes in it.

Remember Occam's razer: The simplest explanation is often the best. :thumbsup:
Unintentionally tried that before (the rust did it for me over the right rear wheel, the muffler was just for show. It cut off the muffler completely). I didn't like it. Kinda like it, but want a deeper sound.

Someone should test all available mufflers and have like a soundboard... So I don't have to buy 40 mufflers.

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
I wish I knew what exhaust is on mine, it's was all newly installed when I got her. Nice low throaty sound but too loud for me. All the kids that pull up beside me want to race thinking I got some power house ricer under the hood. I can still kick there butts though but that's experience with age and driving, lol. I'm not a racer, I just like to drive these little cars, zippy on the roads.

When you get to my age you've learned how to tune out a woman's voice and are to deaf to notice the exhaust sometimes because you've got the radio so loud just to hear it, lol.:lol:
I wouldn't dare tone her out, she will ask me later on if I remember... and god if I don't there will e TROUBLE!

People used to try to race me when I was stupid when I first got the car. But they leave me alone now. Guess after you beat enough of them they tell their friends not to bother. So now I get to enjoy my driving not being bothered :) plus my car being loud... Although I doubt the people in my town are impressed with the exhaust the past couple of years (I live in a small town so they probably get to know my car for how long I have owned it)

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
Get any good quality muffler with a 2.5 - 3" bore, and it will give you a nice deep sound. You might need a resonator too so you don't get a burbling ssound as well.

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
yeah mine is I think 2 - 2.5 inside. Which is dumb in a way since it's larger than the exhaust lol. Whatever just picked it off the shelf, wasn't much to pick from at the store and it was a christmas gift because my old muffler rotted to all hell. I wanted something chrome so it would fight the rust off longer, and so far it's lasted twice as long.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts