Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for poor man's racing....im thinking of buying this toyota supra 88 turbo, i bet it doesn't work, it has bad compression so im thinking ill have to do an engine rebuilt in worst case scenario and a head gasket change in best case scenario....itss cost me 500 (400 if i bargain lower, which i think i might get) and the rebuilt would be around 450 cause it'll be done in tj, this guy did a head gasket repair once and made a rebirth out of my supra)... Now to my question, is it as fun to drive a auto car than it is to drive a manual car for short races?....for cruising?....i dunno, i been pundering on this all week, it has targa tops and the paint looks good, but i dunno if the automatic transmission would ruin my fun....any feedback would be much appreciated:confused:
:eek:
:disappoin

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
how much fun is it to just hammer the gas??.....i'll take a standard transmission any day if its a "sports car".....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go to socalsupras.com for the specialized MA70 discussion in southern california. You are in SD and there are many experts out there who can assist you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hahaha, yo it's toyofreak, never thought i would find you here. what up.

-tim

·
Registered
24 Posts
It takes skill to know when to change gear at just the right moment, you get it right, feels GREAT, get it wrong and you're chug chug chugging away.

Get it right, feel great, get manual ;)

It's no fun just keeping your foot on the accelerator letting the car do all the work :disappoin

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
RichMann said:
It takes skill to know when to change gear at just the right moment, you get it right, feels GREAT, get it wrong and you're chug chug chugging away.
Yeah, you don't even need to use the clutch. Truckers making 983745903758 gearchanges before they fully cross an intersection is all done clutchlessly. Apparently it can only be done at certain revs, when different gear cogs are spinning at the same speed, so *ker-snick* and you can change gears without grinding.

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Auto will be less fun, but. How can having a turbo not be fun at all?

I'd take a forced induction car auto or manual.

·
Registered
9 Posts
repinS said:
Yeah, you don't even need to use the clutch. Truckers making 983745903758 gearchanges before they fully cross an intersection is all done clutchlessly. Apparently it can only be done at certain revs, when different gear cogs are spinning at the same speed, so *ker-snick* and you can change gears without grinding.
there called dog boxs they go instantly into next gear there tops for drifting well i prefer autos cause mien is a day car 2 but i have a drag auto and it deffinetly grounds Huge power greater then a manual or get the auto and get a shift kit and you will stop any manual its 1 fo the mods cops do to there cars lol

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
Apparently you don't even need a "dog box" to get that clutchless shifting going, you just need to know the exact revs in which you can do it.

Or so says my former autoshop teacher. He says he does it in his '00 4Runner 5-speed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
repinS said:
Apparently you don't even need a "dog box" to get that clutchless shifting going, you just need to know the exact revs in which you can do it.

Or so says my former autoshop teacher. He says he does it in his '00 4Runner 5-speed.
yup.. you gotta do it with the right timing so the gears slide in without making loud crunching noises :p

Powerhouse does make a "dog box" gear set for the Supra's 6spd transmission though.

http://www.powerhouseracing.com/supratt_clutch.shtml

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
mkivsoopra said:
yup.. you gotta do it with the right timing so the gears slide in without making loud crunching noises :p

Powerhouse does make a "dog box" gear set for the Supra's 6spd transmission though.

http://www.powerhouseracing.com/catalog/supratt/ppghpgearset.jpg

http://www.powerhouseracing.com/supratt_clutch.shtml
Yer, but folks, keep in mind, when your Supra's 6-speed synchros go out, it's a non-serviceable transmission. You could go the dog box route, but for insane amounts of money ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Okay ive been looking for a sequential tranny that allows me to shift the gears and doesnt require the use of a clutch. Whether its an auto w/ tiptronic or a modded manual doesnt matter to me. Also what is a dogbox and what does it do?

·
Registered
11 Posts
automatic are not always bad. for instance alot of the pro drag cars are auto. i mean dont get me wrong standard is alot of fun when your down shifting and all but you can get alot of power out of an auto tranny also, just by changing out the torque converter for a performance one and you can get alot of torque, torque is good for low end. then when the turbo kicks in you get high end as will. thats why alot of the muscle car driver perfer auto. you can do alot with an auto. i know some guys who would rather build a auto tranny then a stantdard. it'll also be something different from everybody else. so you cant just asume on is better than the other until you tried them both.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If its made by "Toyota", its both good!

I have had a 87 manual trans Supra, non turbo for over 10yrs, had 265K kms on it, never had a problem, until I sold it! If you want to have fun, get a manual. Auto tranny will gear up just as fast if not faster than manual. So from a racing stand point, it may not make a big difference.

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
mike787 said:
If its made by "Toyota", its both good!

I have had a 87 manual trans Supra, non turbo for over 10yrs, had 265K kms on it, never had a problem, until I sold it! If you want to have fun, get a manual. Auto tranny will gear up just as fast if not faster than manual. So from a racing stand point, it may not make a big difference.
Holy Necro post batman!

Though, I'd tend to disagree. With a stock Stall converter and such, a launch with a 5spd would be superior to a launch with a stock stall. For repeatability and quicker shifting the auto would probably be better however.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts