Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping for a replacement radiator. even though i'm not a big fan of our stock radiators with the plastic crimped-on sides... A direct replacement is what I would prefer.
I've found an all metal (aluminum I think) radiator replacement with greater capacity, at twice the price and still needing a modification to connect the automatic transmission cooling lines. not interested...

What I don't know is if out OEM radiators are Denso, or from some other supplier?

What type, and by which seller? I can find multiple choice replacements on Amazon and eBay...
Does anyone know which brand radiator is of a better quality?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the original question was, which is the OEM?
But, does "needing" or just "wanting", (didn't realize that I had to qualify) ultimately change the answer?
or is it a secret, that you really just can't share?

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
From what I found from Summit Racing, there really isn't many OEM direct performance upgrades or replacements. BUT as far as I know, you can technically use any radiator out there that you can find as long as it fits and you are willing to make the necessary modifications. I've never done it but it's not like high performance racing rock crawling sand duneing drifting track engine swap vehicles and whatever always use an OEM style radiator. If it fits, then you can use it. If anything, any direct replacement is almost always gonna be OEM but the aftermarket will have more than plenty out there. They are just not gonna be marketed as Toyota Tacoma but rather as universal. I think what you may need to do (maybe) is find out the flow of the coolant in the radiator. I believe that is important but honestly I am not sure.
  • Denso OEM
  • Aftermarket OEM-style
  • Universal fit (make modifications)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
yes, its running a little hot...
Unless you want to spend some serious coin there's nothing wrong with going with the stock design. Denso, Spectra,Koyo,Asian. You probably should check and see if you really do have a heating issue or not before throwing parts at it!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unless you want to spend some serious coin there's nothing wrong with going with the stock design. Denso, Spectra,Koyo,Asian. You probably should check and see if you really do have a heating issue or not before throwing parts at it!
as I said, yes it's running a little hot.
with 255,000mi, i'm on my 2nd radiator.
I've drained and replaced the coolant. the thermostat is good and I temperature tested it in boiling water as per the TSM. I believe the current radiator does have some blockage. But, I just can't make myself smaller and swim around inside the passages to verify.

Of the small list that you've provided, which do you believe to be of the best quality?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
as I said, yes it's running a little hot.
with 255,000mi, i'm on my 2nd radiator.
I've drained and replaced the coolant. the thermostat is good and I temperature tested it in boiling water as per the TSM. I believe the current radiator does have some blockage. But, I just can't make myself smaller and swim around inside the passages to verify.

Of the small list that you've provided, which do you believe to be of the best quality?
I used a Spectra premium in my T100, it's a 1' thick core vs 7/8" OEM and carried a 2 yr. warranty. Of course that's 9 yrs and 120k miles ago. Back in the 80's I ran a radiator shop, back then there were maybe 3 suppliers of radiators for most Japanese and domestic vehicles. My 1995 T100 OEM radiator was stamed GM. I'd imagine for at least any Japanese radiator regardless of name on it they most likely came from the same factory.
Use a site like Rockauto to check diamensions, price and warranty. Doubt you'll have any issues no matter which one you choose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts