Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah like the topic says... i baught castrol GTX2 (20W-50) wondering if thats any good ?

·
Registered
391 Posts
jesus no.

Go out and get some semi-synthetic oil in 5W30 if you're in a warm climate or 10W30 if you're in a cooler climate. I'd reccomend mobil 1 like I use in my 91 GT, but if you're seals are leaky then you'll loose alot of it cause its super thin. but I think 20W50 is a BAD idea.

John

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Get it straight 10W for hot and 5W for cold. Thicker oil in hot and thinner oil in cold. Hight temp makde oil thinner so use thicker oil, cold make oil thicker so use thinner oil.
He use 20W probably to reduce oil burning. You better rebuild the engine if its that bad. Thicker oil will reduce gas milage on top of the low milage from burning oil. You'll save money on oil and gas after you fix it.
Oh don't use synthic at all. It'll clean out sludge and cause more oil burning and oil leak.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oil grade

celiboy said:
20W50?! good luck! :disappoin
Why not? I am using 20w60 in my Toyota corolla 1.3 (2E engine). for almost 40.000 km's. No problem at all. Only problem for my engine are valve seals, but on 2E engines built in 1988-1992 there was bad material used for valve seals (Toyota sent letter to serbian customers regarding that).

This is higlhy advanced Modrica oil which is complying with the highest euro standards. The oil is always clean and golden brown color (never mudy, never dirty, never with air bubles, never too dark in color). It also has special aditives for cold starts (on -20 Celzius WITHOUT any knocking during cold starts), and it is precious for very hot days - engine will never over heat because oil gets overheated. This is the oil for engines which are older than 10 years, or with over 100.000 miles on it. And the engine is running like a new one. No knocking, pinging, rough idle or something like that. And I have almost 150.000 kilometers without ANY repairs (well beside casual maintenance stuff).

Best regards,
Ivan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts