Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I need to do to prime my engine for a turbo? i plan on dipping it in acid, but what else needs to be done. BTW I have a 5SFE four cylinder 1995 Camry automatic!

·
club momentum moves you !
06 Tacoma X-Runner
456 Posts
If you gonna be taking it apart for acid dipping you minus well do everything !, how much boost are you planning on running ? you can do rods,lower compression pistons if you plan on running more than 8 or 10 psi,port polish your head,metal headgastket,and rings would be good !. Theres alot of other things you can do too but it depends how far you want to take it but if you do all the above and with tuning.. TUNING is the key ! im sure the engine would handle a good amount of boost.. the trans would go out alot earlier than the engine lol.

-shook

·
Registered
320 Posts
depends, how much boost you want? I am going for 6-8 psi, so i might do pistons/rods but i dunno. If i were you prior to installation, all new fluids, gaskets for anythign that has gaskets and new water pump/ oil pump to. And an Apexi SAFC for boostin around 8 psi.

·
Registered
320 Posts
there are different ways to tune an engine. one way is to do a standalone system which replaces the whole ECU, and is tunable via laptop pc. Another method is using something like a SAFC. Which folls the ecu into thinking things are different, like air pressure, etc..

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
tony did the ct26 for a while, then decided it was too weak for the motor. then he upgraded to a 57 trim, which is good for our motors. we are gonna start out with t3/t04e hybrids in the v6 kits. that turbo is good until 400 hp. the base kit will start at 5-7psi and produce around 275hp.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,711 Posts
wontonjohnny said:
how much power do you think 10 psi will put out??

also what is a good turbo for our engines??? one that will run at optimum rpm and efficiency??? i never really understood why turbos have different trims and what not.

if i wanna boost about 12psi will a stock ct26 be sufficient??
Buy some books and start reading... you have a lot to learn about basic turbo tuning... (or wait for a pre-built kit where somebody else has done the work).

-Charlie

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Funny, Ben told me it was going to be done in 2 weeks 3 weeks ago. LoL if you guys keep stalling I'll have funded my turbo and finished it by the time you guys kit it. Good luck with the delays.

·
Turbo-Yota power
1,773 Posts
There are bosch units available that are like 300cc+ and in 13.8Ohm you could try and fit those and tune it with a s-afc.Just make sure they are top feed and you get the right connecter to splice onto your setup.

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
yeah you will have to change the connectors, you can get some from the autoparts store, but its for a different car, i forget which... my friend just had to do that with his supra. he got 1000cc injectors, and we had to get some clips from the autoparts store and solder them up. I do his wiring cause he sucks :)

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
wontonjohnny the 3s-ge injectors use the same plug that the 3vz-fe connectors do and are 315cc injectors @ 13.8ohm. The only differance is that they have two holes in the bottom instead of one. That would be easier than swapping bosch injectors IMHO. You can also just have RC Engineering send you a compatible set of injectors. btw you'll pick up a nice amount of fuel at higher rpm by ditching the crappy toyota pump for a larger one on a 3vz-fe.

AFA doubling the size of injectors, the higher you go, the harder the stock ECU has tuning them. Piggyback type tuning only manipulates the signials going to the stock ECU to get the tuning you want. The problem is that you can only go so far before the compensation of the stock ECU has reached it's limit.

What would be a better way to approach this IMHO is setting your HP goals to start with, and in the future (if you plan on doing boosting in different stages and PSI's) that way you can find injectors to match.

A quick, and accurate way on finding what hp injectors can support is:
Take injector size and divide by 5. Then multiply by the number of injectors to get the maximum flow. The multiply by the injector duration to find out your flow on X amount of duration.

200cc/5 = 40*6 injectors = 240hp @ 100% duration
240hp*75% = 180hp
240hp*80%=192hp

That is what the stock injectors are good for...

·
Turbo-Yota power
1,773 Posts
Good luck finding those they are off a limited 3sge (beams red and blacktop)model 315's are almost impossible to find.RC are expensive and are high quality but so are Bosch units at half the price.Stock 3vzfe pump is a 155lph unit good enough for around 250hp but since its old it might fail if demand is too high.Donot got over 50% your stock injectors because even with a s-afc you will run rich and loose power.Maybe you would be better off with a secondary set of injectors might be less trouble and cheap.So many options but best idea is to plan ahead because this a very important mod.

·
Registered
729 Posts
yeah i totally flustered about what fuel setup i should use.

ok say the highest boost i will ever dare to run is 14 psi, keep in mind that i live in calgary, high altitude, i dunno what the correction factor is for that but im guessin it would be somewhere around 12 psi at sea level.

at 14 psi how much power would you guys guess i would get with a proper fuel setup? and what would that fuel setup be?

also where does a FMU come in?? i know they raise the fuel pressure but with larger injectors would i still need it?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts