Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Camry LE
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, I couldn't find an info anywhere about it.

Whats the max hp u can have before its not street legal?

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
There is no "max hp". Depending on what kind of car you have though... there will be limits. As long as your car passes emissions... you are generally okay.

·
nice guy
191 Posts
unless you are twenty yeared like, ahhahhahahahhahahhaha.....you have to pass emissions, but you also have to have the stock motor to really be legal.

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
Let me know what you do to your car if you're thinking of having to much HP and make it illegal :D

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
:hi: Mines not legal.... still not even close to where I want it to be though. :hi:

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
haha, I'm sure yours isn't illegal because you have to much hp, just some emissions or something else maybe? By the way, how much hp do you have and how much boost are you running?

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Yea.... it's emissions shit. California doesn't like JDM motors. I'm running 14psi w/ an intake, exhaust, boost controller, and fcd... on a jdm 3sgte.

·
Sold out for a Max
1,266 Posts
See. California is all strict with there emissions crap. They don't check for CARB stickers and stuff like that here. We do have to pass emissions but it's not nearly as harsh.

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
You guys are all unlucky. As of now in Tennessee, nobody has to pass emissions :D although I believe that they passed a new law about it that will go into effect sometime.

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
California is coming out with these crazy things that are like the red light cameras.... but for illigal cars. It measures the pollution coming from the car as you sit at a light or some shit.... is that even legal???

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
Holy shit, that sucks if it is legal. For everyone's sake in California, I hope it's not legal or it doesn't work. Probably will take them a while to perfect it though if they do try and use them.

·
Triple A Whore
Z06, Camry, Tucson
7,650 Posts
I always thought that if you pass emissions and your safety lights are working; you're legal.

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Camry LE
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking of getting a supra actually...
I think the one I want is an MKIV or something...
Just making sure cause I don't wanna ebay like a 1000hp supra and not be able to drive it :D

btw thanks for your help guys

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
We have laws here... but its not so much a law of hp... more Power to weight... cant be over about 13:1 i think it is.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Only a stock engine is legal... so I'd say 600HP? because if I remember correctly, the benz SLR has that much power. Its build with Mclearn to beat Farraris........

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,960 Posts
wow i can do what ever i want to my car here cause there is no emissions:p:
yeah cali sucks but that's where evrything is:rolleyes:

anything is street legal as long as it has seat belts turn signals hazards brake lights running lights and bumpers...did i get everything?

·
Sold out for a Max
1,266 Posts
As far as street racing, Cali has to be the most strict. You would be amazed at how many laws that have against aftermarket stuff on you car, ride heights, light angles, etc. As far as HP. Its not the amount of hp you should be worried about. It's what you're using to get that hp. Half of the turbo kits and and stuff used to get high hp is illegal.

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
yeah, California laws suck. here you don't have to worry about any mods, almost everything is legal.... so I don't think there's any way of being illegal because of too much hp or mods, only mod i know of here that is illegal is a "modified exhaust", but an aftermarket exhaust does not count as modified:rolleyes: Make all the HP you can and screw emissions!:lol:

·
A Poor College Student
1994 Camry Sedan LE
354 Posts
You guys are all unlucky. As of now in Tennessee, nobody has to pass emissions although I believe that they passed a new law about it that will go into effect sometime.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Knox County passed an increase in the wheel tax, which is now going to be on our November ballot. I vote no on that cause it's for a combination bus terminal/library :)whatthe:). I wouldn't mind the tax if it would be used to require emissions testing on vehicles, especially the 84 Civic with the rice pipe that can be heard a mile away....:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts