Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've got a 91 V6 and I'm having problems getting the best oil for my car. It leaks; not a ton, but not a tiny amount either. What would be the best oil to put in my leaking car?
I don't really have the money to fix the leak right now, so I was wondering if any of the oil additives are good. I've tried the Engine Restorer stuff in the metal can and it seems to work pretty good, but I don't know if any of that stuff is good for my car in the long run. Also, is the GUNK Engine Flush good at all, or would it be a waste of a couple bucks? Let me know guys because I know you guys know best. Thanks!

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Well, for sure don't run synthetic. That will go right through the leaking spots.

Any oil will work. Just make sure you have the right weight to match the manufacturers specs. You should be fine.

·
Registered
147 Posts
89_3SFE said:
Hey, I've got a 91 V6 and I'm having problems getting the best oil for my car. It leaks; not a ton, but not a tiny amount either. What would be the best oil to put in my leaking car?
I don't really have the money to fix the leak right now, so I was wondering if any of the oil additives are good. I've tried the Engine Restorer stuff in the metal can and it seems to work pretty good, but I don't know if any of that stuff is good for my car in the long run. Also, is the GUNK Engine Flush good at all, or would it be a waste of a couple bucks? Let me know guys because I know you guys know best. Thanks!
Well, you could try putting in some 20w-50 until you can get the leaks fixed. Your gas milage will decrease but you will slow the leaks somewhat. It will not hurt your car. Stay away from Penzoil though. I have a friend who is a Toyota tech and he said a lot of the sluge problems were related to crappy oil mostly harvested from the east coast.

Engine flush is the last thing you want right now, because by this point any gunk in the engine is what's keeping the oil from leaking worse. Frequent oil changes are also more effective than running snake oil through your engine.

After you get all the leaks fixed you could try synthetic (Mobil 1 is generally considered the best by most people and is what I use on my 3S-FE) PROVIDED that your piston rings aren't worn too bad. You will know this if you burn more than a quart every 1000-1500 miles.

- John

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
^
High mileage engine, not smart. Because their is a chance that there are other minor leaks and that would go right through them.

If your really intent on running synthetic oil, run half in half. It will allow you to check for leaks in your system before you go full on.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Do not use higher then specified weight oils.
It creates unnecessary pressure and stress.

I use Castrol Synth since 156K and now at 162K. No extra leaks. Going to Mobil 1 or something after though.

·
Beams SV21
576 Posts
dont run mobile 1 synthetic as this might cause leaks. synthetic oil is different to normal oils and when u go from an engine that has run non-synthetic to synthetic, there is a chance that the seals in the engine will leak. there is a more technical side to this but at this moment it alludes me. i remember there was a discussion about this a while ago. your best bet would to use something like Castrol GTX2 or 3. not too thick not too thin.

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts