Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a blown head gasket (lord please let it just be the gasket), I don't have an engine hoist so I'm trying to pull the head off with the intake manifold and fuel rail connected and leaving the engine in the vehicle. This is the first time I've ever done any engine work ever. So far it's going well, I've gotten everything off except for the lower timing cover, crank pulley, and everything in that area; just waiting until tomorrow to get a proper puller from Advance. I managed to get everything unplugged/unbolted on the wiring harness but now how do I get this beast out of the way? Having a hard time pulling the bottom portion that go to the starter, trans, fuse box, battery, etc through the manifold pipes. Do I just need to disconnect more stuff until there is enough room to yank it out or is there a better way to go about things? I haven't removed what I'm assuming are all the fuel lines, since the only fuel related thing I've worked on is the fuel filter so I'm not really sure if I'm going to have fuel spraying everywhere or what; anyway, those lines will definitely have to come out in order to get this thing out. I'm feeling confident because I do have fairly good parts knowledge (I work at Advance) I just don't have the hands on experience in the engine bay... I guess I will after this.

I'm following a series of youtube videos of a guy (Andy Mechanic) doing this with a 3sfe on a Rav4 but didn't realize how much info he had left out before I was already balls deep into this project.
More than willing to post pics as soon as I can; it's just dark out right now.
Any guidance and wisdom is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now that I'm doing the research that I should have in the first place... I'm thinking that I'm going about this all wrong. Especially with as bad of a leak as I have it's most certainly a warped or cracked head... no matter what happens I'm too far into this to turn back now. Going to see if I can find a cheap head, if not I'll just continue as planned and whatever happens, happens. I'll take it as a learning experience and move on. I'm a broke 19 year old and this is my daily driver... The car has been down for about 4 days now and I'm tired of borrowing rides to work.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,090 Posts
You'll have to get all the stuff bolted to the top/front of the intake manifold off to get the wiring harness out of there. I'd suggest pulling the glove compartment and disconnecting the harness from the ECU and pulling it into the engine bay. You can then lay the harness over on the transmission side to avoid removing those wires. You can also go the 'other' direction (unplug everything on the trans side, along with the fuse box) and lean it the other direction. To pull the motor, you have to disconnect from inside and from the fuse box side.

-Charlie

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll have to get all the stuff bolted to the top/front of the intake manifold off to get the wiring harness out of there. I'd suggest pulling the glove compartment and disconnecting the harness from the ECU and pulling it into the engine bay. You can then lay the harness over on the transmission side to avoid removing those wires. You can also go the 'other' direction (unplug everything on the trans side, along with the fuse box) and lean it the other direction. To pull the motor, you have to disconnect from inside and from the fuse box side.

-Charlie
Thank you! I wish I had known the glovebox trick sooner. Slowly making progress on this head, taking it to the machine shop today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.