Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to replace the power steering belt. The problem is, even when loosening the adjuster bolt, the power steering pump won't budge. I think the top bolt was torqued really high so it can't budge. The problem is, it's really hard to get in there. Has anyone had any success on a specific strategy? Anything to safely remove to get a better position on it?

·
Super Moderator
Various Toyotas
5,762 Posts
It's easy. You can access it by taking the wheel off. You might have to remove that little plastic shield (it has two 10 mm bolts). Use an extension and a breaker bar if a regular ratchet doesn't give you enough leverage. Wish I could snap a photo for you, but I'm at work. You might be able to access it from the top (engine bay), but I've never done it that way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I can get to the adjuster bolt just fine with the plastic shield removed. That's fine and loose. But the top bolt is the one that's giving me trouble. And there's not enough room for an extension by any means that I can see.

·
Super Moderator
Various Toyotas
5,762 Posts
I've done it three times and just couldn't remember how I did it. I just got home from work and went in the garage. I am able to do it with a regular 12 mm socket and 3/8" breaker bar (no extension 'cause there's no room for that, as you said). It just barely fits, but it works and it's pretty easy. I took a couple photos, but the Photobucket website is down for maintenance, so I can't post the photo. I'll check tomorrow to see if the Photobucket website is working again. YOU CAN DO IT!

·
Super Moderator
Various Toyotas
5,762 Posts
OK, here are the photos. You can see my breaker bar with the 12 mm socket on that bolt.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: greenfx

·
Speedkar99 on YouTube
2003 Camry
1,901 Posts
Assuming you have the V6, you need a deep 12mm socket or a 1" extension on a 3/8" ratchet or breaker bar. Its tight between the engine and fender, but if the bolt isn't on too tight you can break it loose, hopefully not hitting your knuckles on the right-hand engine mount or inner fender :facepalm:.

If its on too tight you've got to access it from above, with a pipe over the ratchet. To do that, remove the dog-bone engine mount and the bracket that it mounts to (I think two long 14 mm bolts), and pull that off. That should give you more than enough clearance to get at it from the top.

·
Super Moderator
Various Toyotas
5,762 Posts
V6? Oh, I thought it was the I4.

·
Super Moderator
Various Toyotas
5,762 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Camry, Vibe, Venture
580 Posts
I had all but given up on trying to get to that bolt. It looked impossible.

Now it is back on my to-do list but I still don't think we want any women or children nearby. :)

Thanks for those pics John.

-----------------

Update: The bolts are 14mm on my 1992. The new belt was 750mm (the model 295K3) and the one that came off was 760mm in length. I was not able to get the new belt on by hand but finally did by turning the crankshaft bolt to force it around the top of the pulley.

One will need a precise combination of ratchet head thickness and socket depth to access the bolt as pictured. It worked for me after being totally unable to get to it from coming at it from the back of the engine and from below with both a ratcheting and standard wrench.

·
Registered
214 Posts
unable to remove steering pump top bolt

Assuming you have the V6, you need a deep 12mm socket or a 1" extension on a 3/8" ratchet or breaker bar. Its tight between the engine and fender, but if the bolt isn't on too tight you can break it loose, hopefully not hitting your knuckles on the right-hand engine mount or inner fender :facepalm:.

If its on too tight you've got to access it from above, with a pipe over the ratchet. To do that, remove the dog-bone engine mount and the bracket that it mounts to (I think two long 14 mm bolts), and pull that off. That should give you more than enough clearance to get at it from the top.

Firstly, I want to thank John for those pics. I guess I don't have the precise combination of tools to get to that top bolt. Tried all my tools for an hour and got dizzy and gave up.

I guess removing the dog-bone will allow an easier access to that bolt. Mine is 5SFE.
Thanks !

·
short-throw dipstick
6,216 Posts
Firstly, I want to thank John for those pics. I guess I don't have the precise combination of tools to get to that top bolt. Tried all my tools for an hour and got dizzy and gave up.

I guess removing the dog-bone will allow an easier access to that bolt. Mine is 5SFE.
Thanks !
I want to say I used a ratcheting box wrench

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.