Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 p/u
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 p/u with a reg. cab, a 22RE and 4 inch of lift between body and suspention, i was wondering what your thoughts are on winch size, and/or winch set up for this rig. All the info you could give would be great. Thanks!

·
Bring On The MUD!!!!!
'83 Pickup SR5
2,334 Posts
i think the best set up is to get an ARB Bull Bar (jsut scroll down till you get to our generation truck!)
That bumper if compatable with 2 different winches. the Warn M8000 and the Warn M6000
you really dont need some huge winch for 10,000 lbs. these pickups are small and either of the 2 winches above you be more than enough!

Cam

·
Registered
94 p/u
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, thanks. It seems that with the m8000 and a good snatch block i will be well set for the trails I run, here in the north east.

·
Bring On The MUD!!!!!
'83 Pickup SR5
2,334 Posts
yeah, the m8000 would be a great choice. you will have plenty of extra power too!!

Cam

·
Registered
905 Posts
I just got a TABOR 9K $515.00 CDN

for X-mas ... my preasant to ME

anyway ... I was replacing a 5000 warn that did just fine for about 20 years (but finally caved) .... with a snatch block (hardly ever used) the 5G was just fine ...

my new 9000 will be great ..

oh .... The Tabor .. is Warn's 2ND line .

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
agreed on the m8000. Should always install winch rated at twice the vehicle weigt or better (GVWR). :) hope that is as useful as it sounded when I started to type.

·
7MGTE/22RE
Turbo Supra
431 Posts
wildanimal said:
yeah, thanks. It seems that with the m8000 and a good snatch block i will be well set for the trails I run, here in the north east.
where in NY do you live? there aren't any trails near me. :(

and i agree with the ARB bull bar, as well as the warn winch. i'll be getting those this spring. :)

-shaeff

·
Canwe fixit? YES we can.
41 Posts
My first choice has always been the 8274 Warn upright. It is very fast. It'll catch up with you as you make progress in sticky situations. Slow winches let you get buried again while you're waiting for them to catch up with you.

·
Bring On The MUD!!!!!
'83 Pickup SR5
2,334 Posts
that upright is a nice lookin winch. but is it as easy to mount to bumpers? i know the arb bull bar does not accept that winch. but what about other bumpers?

Cam

·
Canwe fixit? YES we can.
41 Posts
That's a good question. I've always made my own bumpers. I must admit, that if the 8274 Warn has a drawback, it would be the shape/size. It is somewhat painful to deal with when it comes to mounting. I see a lot of old Fish and Wildlife Service trucks had "factory" winch bumpers.

I guess if I didn't build my own, I would just look around the web or find some local talent. If you make your own, note that most home-brew bumpers are an honest 3-4 times as heavy as they need to be. 1/8 wall tube is plenty heavy enough for most applications, even 1/16 wall works good for the cosmetic or brush-guard parts.

My last project I did with some help from a very creative friend, was to create a flat-top diamond-plate front bumper with a built-in 2-inch receiver built into the front face. I created a 2-inch mount for the 8274 so I can pin it in to the truck. That way I can take it on and off really easily. It is ugly and un-handy, but it allows me to take my favorite winch into the woods, then take it off when I don't need it. I was concerned that the 2-inch tube may not be able to handle the 8000 pound pull, but that has not been a problem so far. No bending, nothing.

The only winch that I've ever seen that does as good or better in the woods would be the MileMarker hydraulic, but I've never heard of anybody trying to hook one up to a Toyota. The profile of the MileMarker is a lot nicer to work with.

·
Canwe fixit? YES we can.
41 Posts
There are two schools of thought for winches, the first school is that "I want it because it makes my truck look cool and tough", which it does. The second school is for those that may use the winch. I got to thinking about it a little more, I guess things that come to mind are: better to avoid any winch with permanent magnet motors, they save a little power, but they're not as capable, IMO. Have a dedicated battery with an isolator. The other thought is that any winch is better than no winch. Final thought, if you're not stuck, YOU won't need a winch, so lock you're differentials and get good tires. Then you can cruise right through the bad spots, turn around and use your winch to pull out your friends ;-)

We discovered, over the years, that it's mighty handy to have winches front and rear, so many of us did that. The 8274 is a terrible package for rear mount because it sits so high. The planetary models are much better for that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts