Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
short-throw dipstick
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I normally hang out in the gen3/4 Camry forums but am working on a friend's '05 4Runner (1GR-FE) and am wondering about the purported head gasket issues.

So he has a P0304 - I told him to swap the plugs - and then coils - between #2 and #4. He said nothing changed, so he's bringing it to me and I'm going to do a compression test and look down the hole with a borescope and see if I find any coolant. He also says he's not losing any coolant, and the oil looks brand-new, not milkshakey.

It had the engine replaced at 200k because his mechanic told him it was cheaper to put in a used engine than to do the HGs. Apparently the new one has 80k on it.

Some quick Googling, and I read several threads on other 4Runner forums about '03-'05 1GR-FE having head gasket issues, usually manifesting as a cyl #6 misfire. Apparently Toyota quietly rolled out new head gaskets mid-2005, so '06+ don't have issues.

Is that what it is? Can anybody clue me in as to more details/personal experience/etc.? I'm thinking I might just do the head gaskets for him if that's the issue, as it seems cheaper to me than dropping in a used engine.

Thanks as usual.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Wait and see the results of the compression test..
There should be other things to consider for a misfire before yanking the head.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welp, got a BHG.

Compression checked out, swapped ignition components between banks and no change. #4 piston is scoured clean, and smokes on startup when the piston ends up below the HG.

If I cold start then shut it off five seconds later, the radiator is pressurized and I can smell gas in the coolant...after a few days of driving, the reservoir isn't noticeably low but the radiator is empty and full of gas that doesn't want to bleed out. Funnily enough, the color-change test fails...

1GR HG write-up coming up!

·
short-throw dipstick
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had same issue cylinder 4
Have to replace Head gas kit, toyota have revised had gas kit.
For sure, I replaced them a few months ago and no complaints. Still have to get around to uploading all the pics for the write-up...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts