Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
'06 Avalon
131 Posts
a gizmo in the fuel monitoring: "The heated oxygen sensors are changed from the normal type to the super stability type."

VSC is also now available on the Touring.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now is the VSC w/ brake assist really important for a vehicle? Can someone tell me the pro's and con's of having it or not having it? thanks! I'm on the hunt for the best deal so any advice to help me figure out my options will be greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
'06 Avalon
131 Posts
I have had a VSC-type system on other cars, great in snow and it can greatly assist recovery if you get in an "over your head driving" situation either in an emergency or from lack of attention. My Avalon does not have it--would have taken the car if it did but I did not hold out for one with it. On prior cars, I've seen it activate in just slip control mode when starting out on ice, but never had a situation where it was activated in cornering. I went to a demo "school" for the prior car where we were on a track and went full throttle into corners to see it work--it modulates throttle and individual brakes to carry you through on line. It's standard on the Toyota SUV's, aimed at quelling any bad PR about SUV handling or tipover. The Avalon comes standard with a brake distribution system that will handle uneven braking surfaces and loads in conjunction with ABS --the VSC adds electronic modulation of each brake for cornering stability at the limit along with Brake Assist that adds pedal pressure if it senses you are emergency braking. A good safety option, not a must have for me on this type of car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
dtech83 said:
Now is the VSC w/ brake assist really important for a vehicle? Can someone tell me the pro's and con's of having it or not having it? thanks! I'm on the hunt for the best deal so any advice to help me figure out my options will be greatly appreciated! :)

VSC will keep the car from skidding out of control by braking according if the driver doesn't repond. The traction control will shift power the wheel that isn't slipping.

Personally I would only want a limited slip differential on this car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, since I live in L.A. and there is hardly any rain, and of course no snow, I guess I'll stick to a non-vsc equipped vehicle. Thanks a lot for the help guys. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
retired00 said:
a gizmo in the fuel monitoring: "The heated oxygen sensors are changed from the normal type to the super stability type."

VSC is also now available on the Touring.
Sorry to keep asking dumb questions...but I'm about to buy the car soon so I need to know... :( Is the super stability type really beneficial to the vechile? Is it just a more accurate when monitoring it's fuel gauge? Please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
'06 Avalon
131 Posts
Only the engineer that designed it, or the Toyota accountant that discovered the new one is cheaper can answer that:D The oxygen sensors provide input to the emissons system.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
The newer A/F sensors were a production change,

The 05 and 06 were getting PO171, PO174, P2195, and P2197 all related to sensor signals stuck lean (02 sensors) and System too lean for each bank of cylinders (1 and 2).

It was a sensor design flaw that has been rectified. Warranty is standard 36month and 36000 miles except California where the mileage is 50,000.

The updates were issued sept 16,05. The change came after VIN1BK3#6U076030

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi.

I'm new here, considering the purchase of an '06 Touring, with VSC, sunroof, JBL, anti-theft. Currently have a Sienna and a Lexus IS300. According to all the web sites I've looked at, VSC includes heated seats. But I just received an email from a Toyota dealer saying that, according to his Toyota sourcbook, heated seats aren't available on the Touring. And I don't remember seeing the controls on the Touring I drove (but I didn't specifically look for them, either).

So, does anyone here have an '06 Touring with VSC? If so, does it include heated seats?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
just curious, is the remote starter upgrade worth it? What are the pro's and con's of having it? If any that is.. :)

oh, one more question... would you guys prefer the blizzard pearl white or the phantom grey? (touring edition).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Personally, I prefer the gray, although I bought Titanium. White just shows too much dirt, and I have better things to do than wash my car all the time. I will say, however, that if you like white, the Avalon pearl white looks very nice when it's clean.

As far as the starter, we weren't interested because our Avalon stays in the garage. If you have to park outside, it's probably a real nice option. The only negative I can really think of is $$$.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dtech83...

I bought the 2005 Avalon Limited in Titanium Metallic, because I was not able to get one in Blizzard Pearl. I was not happy about it until I pulled my new Avy up to a blizzard pearl Avy. Now that I actually saw it in person (I hadn't before, I just wanted white as that was my preference for colors), I'm so glad I didn't get the blizzard white. It just didn't compare to my car, in my honest opinion. I guess it comes down to personal preferences. The Titanium Metallic is is so light it often looks shimmery white anyway.

Good luck to you. Let us know what you do, and post a photo of your new car. Happy drvining!

;)
Jasmine

1 - 19 of 19 Posts