Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'96 Camry LE & '13 ES350
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am a noob to DIY repairs.

I accidentally ripped the tubing/hose that connects just above the big air intake hose. (The other end connects to the resonator box.) Please let me know if I'm not describing it well. Am unable to post a link to an image as it's my first post on the forums.

Thanks!

·
Registered
'96 Camry LE & '13 ES350
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P.S. Or is it just a standard hose that can be found in any auto parts store? I wasn't sure because it's wider at one end (i.e., it's wider at the end that connects to the resonator box).

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,934 Posts
It's air intake hose.

Just get it from a self service yard. It'll be cheaper than the auto store. Just inspect it for damage.

·
Registered
'96 Camry LE & '13 ES350
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i thought the air intake hose was the big hose that connects to the throttle body? am curious about the function of the smaller hose (that I drew a red box around in the image)

·
Various Toyotas
4,602 Posts
Are you sure it goes to a resonator and not the charcoal canister?
My son has a '96 5SFE and that hose goes to the vacuum switching valve which is bolted onto the resonator. The difficulty is that each end of the hose is a different size. Not sure if that is necessary for proper function, or if Toyota did that on purpose to force you to buy the part from them. In any event, I got one from the junkyard, but it didn't last. I bought generic hose (sorry, I don't know what size and it isn't imprinted on the hose) and just got the best size that would fit both the port at the throttle body and the VSV at the resonator. The original OE hose is the way to go, but I've searched for it on Toyota parts diagrams and just can't find it. Some of these different vapor hoses are discontinued, although I'm not sure if this is one of them.

For the DS, I'm assuming you are aware, but it looks like your air cleaner hose (the big hose from the air filter assembly to the throttle body) is broken and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
'96 Camry LE & '13 ES350
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My son has a '96 5SFE and that hose goes to the vacuum switching valve which is bolted onto the resonator. The difficulty is that each end of the hose is a different size. Not sure if that is necessary for proper function, or if Toyota did that on purpose to force you to buy the part from them. In any event, I got one from the junkyard, but it didn't last. I bought generic hose (sorry, I don't know what size and it isn't imprinted on the hose) and just got the best size that would fit both the port at the throttle body and the VSV at the resonator. The original OE hose is the way to go, but I've searched for it on Toyota parts diagrams and just can't find it. Some of these different vapor hoses are discontinued, although I'm not sure if this is one of them.

For the DS, I'm assuming you are aware, but it looks like your air cleaner hose (the big hose from the air filter assembly to the throttle body) is broken and needs to be replaced.
It was my first time doing any kind of DIY repair and I did the very silly thing of trying to pull the air intake hose off, instead of pushing it off with a flat-head screwdriver, which resulted in the rip :D. It's replaced now.

I ended up buying tubing from an auto parts store which was a perfect fit on the end that connects to the vacuum switching valve and was a rather snug fit on the end that connects to the intake manifold. Am going to keep a close eye on the end that connects to the intake manifold for rips/tears. I also was unable to find the exact Toyota part number.

Do you know what the function of this tubing is?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Can you send a pic of where it goes to? I think it's to purge the charcoal canister but that's just a guess.

·
Various Toyotas
4,602 Posts
There's a different VSV by/on the charcoal canister. The VSV to which the hose in question is connected is on the resonator, but which one purges I don't know. A few years ago I had the P0446 and I had to replace the electrical connector pigtail (soldering involved) that is for this VSV on the resonator, which solved the P0446.

I took a photo and a close up photo:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts