Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really?

hmm...there is another part to it that is clearly marked relay.

the reason i was thinking that it was positive end related is because i have a wire that is a loop to hook up to the battery...but i dont have a positive end.

:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
post a pic of all the relay looking parts....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
yes that is a relay for your fog light. The wiring harness that came with it must have a corresponding plug where that fits into....

do not try to cut corners and install without it...

as the other post said... post pictures of all the other things .... or better since you don't know what this part is... i don't think you can do the wiring by yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sundarpn said:
as the other post said... post pictures of all the other things .... or better since you don't know what this part is... i don't think you can do the wiring by yourself.
https://webfiles.uci.edu/rchirk/DSC00751.JPG?uniq=z7fkb

theres the link to everything else besides the switch and 9006 connection to the bulbs.

the far left i believe is a relay, middle a fuse and far right....?


yea..i know not to mess with car wiring, but it never hurts to educate myself :clap:


thanks for everyones input and help!
 

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
Joined
·
4,305 Posts
^You go to UCI?
 

·
I Want My MPG
Joined
·
169 Posts
Did these fogs come with a switch? It should be a simple circuit; Fogs powered through a relay with a switch, that is connected to a power source to provide the trigger. I could come up with a diagram if I know what you're working with; probably want to see a picture of everything besides just that relay, fuse, and harness.

Anyhow, I do some work at UCI! I go to the arc often, so if you see a gen5 around with hids, that's probably me:D I'm pretty decent with electrical stuff, so let me know if you need help.
 

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
Joined
·
4,305 Posts
mrxbobert said:
yeap...unfortunately a bio major and not anything applicable in the real world :lol:

didja know anyone here?
Well, I know quite a few people that go there... I visit every once in a while... mainly people that I went to high school with... but I go there for track meets and stuff when UCI holds meets (ie. Steve Scott Invitational) since CSUN and UCI are in the same conference. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sn1cko said:
Did these fogs come with a switch? It should be a simple circuit; Fogs powered through a relay with a switch, that is connected to a power source to provide the trigger. I could come up with a diagram if I know what you're working with; probably want to see a picture of everything besides just that relay, fuse, and harness.

Anyhow, I do some work at UCI! I go to the arc often, so if you see a gen5 around with hids, that's probably me:D I'm pretty decent with electrical stuff, so let me know if you need help.
Yea..it did come with a switch. It has one of those button switches that fit into the little rectangular hole next to your left knee inside the cabin. I'll take a pic once i get back in...any help would be greatly appreciated =D.

I'll be on the lookout for your car...so far the only retro'd gen5 ive seen are pnp kits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
white3ch0c0late said:
Well, I know quite a few people that go there... I visit every once in a while... mainly people that I went to high school with... but I go there for track meets and stuff when UCI holds meets (ie. Steve Scott Invitational) since CSUN and UCI are in the same conference. :D

good deal....maybe i'll see your car around. i'll say hello :)
 

·
I Want My MPG
Joined
·
169 Posts
Hmmmm, with a switch and relay, I'd probably wire up the fog lights like this:


Gonna take a look at your pictures some more...If your switch has a light in it, it'd be a slightly different circuit than the one I posted here. For now I'm going to guess that on that 'unknown thing', the red wire's terminal is connected to a constant +12V source, and the blue wire to a switched (turns on when you turn your parking or headlights on; probably to illuminate the switch if it has a light) +12V source.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,505 Posts
looks like you got one of those ebay kits... the wiring looks very similiar to the kit i had. actually its looks exactly the same! anyway, in that second picture link from left to right, it is the following: relay, fuse, and the "stock" relay plug. that last relay looking plug is meant to plug into your stock fog relay location, so that your fogs gets power only when your headlights are on... just like OEM fogs do.

this harness is part of the reason why i decided to go OEM instead... too many damn wires hanging around near the fuse area... and you have to pull a wire through the firewall. and the lighting (regular yellow incandescent bulb) for that switch is fugly!:lol: i've since cannabilized my own ebay harness for my fog light mod... i can now turn on my fogs independent of the headlights but they still turn off when high beams are activated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,505 Posts
mrxbobert said:
ooo....so the "stock" relay goes under the dash right?
yes, the relays are located on the back of the drivers side fusebox to the left and under the steering wheel. its a tight fit in there... so i would recommend taking all the dash trim off to access the fusebox more easily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LE05 said:
yes, the relays are located on the back of the drivers side fusebox to the left and under the steering wheel. its a tight fit in there... so i would recommend taking all the dash trim off to access the fusebox more easily.

Good deal. Thanks for all the info! Is there a DIY walkthrough anywhere to remove the dash trim?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,505 Posts
mrxbobert said:
Good deal. Thanks for all the info! Is there a DIY walkthrough anywhere to remove the dash trim?
other than the repair manual, none that i know of. its pretty simple though... once you know which screws to remove it comes off with a good yank. there are two screws and a bolt. one screw is hidden behind the little "cap" on the bottom right, the other behind the coin box. the bolt however, you have to remove the driver's side door sill as well as the driver's side kick panel to access it. it is on the very bottom left of the dash trim.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top