Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
straight cash homie
18,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://wot.motortrend.com/1401_toyota_trd_pro_looks_and_sounds_like_a_raptor_fighter.html
Is Toyota working on something to take on the Ford Raptor? The following television commercial below certainly hints at the possibility. Titled “Desert Gas Station”, the short clip is an ad for Toyota TRD Pro, though it’s unclear what exact that means.

The ad starts off with a regular 2014 Toyota Tundra pulling into a gas station. Next, a red Tundra and Tacoma are shown racing down a dirt road. The main focus here, however, is the Tundra, which is sporting a unique black grille framing a large “TOYOTA” badge in place of the automaker’s typical oval logo (think FJ Cruiser). There’s not much else aside from a “TRD Pro” badge on the tailgate, black rims, and a pretty sweet engine note (likely the result of a supercharger and custom exhaust system).

So what is it? We’re digging to find out. At this point the best case scenario is Toyota’s answer to the Ford Raptor. However, it’s more likely that Toyota is teasing a new off-road package much like the TRD TX Baja Series previously offered on the Tacoma and included items like Bilstein shocks, beadlock wheels, and cat-back exhaust. That said, stay tuned for details on what Toyota has in store of the big Tundra.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
It's probably just an exhaust system with a few suspension goodies like they did with the Trail Team Edition FJ Cruisers.

·
Millions &millions served
2013 Camry SE
8,078 Posts
It's probably just an exhaust system with a few suspension goodies like they did with the Trail Team Edition FJ Cruisers.
darn I was hoping they would come out with a Raptor fighter, oh well hopefully with the next Tundra....

those 4R rims looks right out of the Sema FJ:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Slapping on overpriced Toyota suspension parts and blacking out the grill constitutes "Sport"? Pffft. Come on Toyota, enough with your rice edition.

There better be at least 400 horses under the hood.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
It's debuting next week at the Chicago Auto Show:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/01/toyota-tundra-trd-pro-raptor-fighter-coming-chicago.html

My guess it'll be the same overpriced modifications as on the Tacoma Baja with increased front travel (read that as a lift which increases the odds that the needle bearing in the front diff will cause vibes and have to be replaced with aftermarket parts). Toyota needs to wake up and listen to the experts and fix its design flaws before selling any more lifted trucks.

·
Registered
2013 Scion tC RS 8.0
2,154 Posts
TRD is just the follow the crowd sort of acronym that all the other companies are doing, likely because some focus group told them that people identify with it. So TRD, SRT, M, S, SVT, and so on. If Toyota really wanted to be unique (which they don't) what they would do is just call it "Off Road". So for instance a special edition Tundra that had a beefed up suspension, big meaty off road tires and wheels and super strong diffs would just be referred to as the "Off Road" package instead or TRD Pro or some silly shit like that. Tundra "Off Road" edition.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,605 Posts
TRD is just the follow the crowd sort of acronym that all the other companies are doing, likely because some focus group told them that people identify with it. So TRD, SRT, M, S, SVT, and so on. If Toyota really wanted to be unique (which they don't) what they would do is just call it "Off Road". So for instance a special edition Tundra that had a beefed up suspension, big meaty off road tires and wheels and super strong diffs would just be referred to as the "Off Road" package instead or TRD Pro or some silly shit like that. Tundra "Off Road" edition.
They already have that. Tundra and Tacoma TRD Off Road editions normally feature items like Bilstein suspension, BFG tires, and locking differentials not found on non off road models.

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
Can't wait to see the Tundra at the debut. I'm wondering if its just going to be a Rock Warrior TRD package for the new body Tundra. The Rock Warrior package brought fake beadlock TRD rims, all emblems gone except the front T and 5.7l V8 side badge, stickers that say "Rock Warriod TRD Toyota Racing Development" and then chrome delete via color matched front bumper, color matched grille surround, and black rear bumper.

For the new TRD Pro Tundra, I would be happy with some debadging, maybe some new cool looking TRD rims, and chrome delete via same color matching front bumper, grille surround, and black rear bumper. I like how TOYOTA is written out on the grille. I'd probably buy it in a year or two. IMO the new body Tundra has wayyyy to much chrome. Unless you get the Limited.

Hopefully its priced similar to the way the Rock Warrior's were priced, which was extremely reasonably priced. So with the TRD package already having Bilsteins and such, the Rock Warrior package was basically an appearance package. I'm OK if thats all the TRD Pro is for the new Tundra.

But it would be even better if they actually put new coilovers in it with external reservoirs, power boost (won't happen), etc. to compete with the Raptor, but I don't see it happening.

Can't wait for the debut.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts