Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
being such a POS!!!:mad:
I do A LOT of track events in my '92 Sentra SE-R (zero problems to this day) and have heard tons of personal stories at the track about GTS motors blowing up. Then today I read a letter written in the October Car and Driver mag about a guy who went through FOUR motors in his 2000 GTS!!!! This worries me a little about Toyota quality. Sounds to me as if it is going DOWN. :( :( :(
I wonder if my parents '98 4 banger Camry will hold up over the years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
5sFE = BULLET PROOF
2zz-GE = NOT BULLET PROOF

the Camry will out live most things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Toyota are renound for their engines reliability, the very fact that the person has blown four engines on the track shows that he is pushing the engine too far for his current setup. What kind of aftermarket parts/settings is he/she running?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
^good point, blowing 4 mottors is an achivment only worthy of a pure DUMB ass.
 

·
Doh!
Joined
·
138 Posts
if you read the article carefully he misshifted causing the motors to blow.

The problem with the GTS motors are teh drivers. Plain and simple.

The 2000-2001 celica's have very close shift gates so most people tend to shift into the wrong gear causing overrevving thus causing the engine to blow.

You are gonna get that with any car reving that high with that high of a compression rating.

The 02's and up have wider shift gates to help prevent people from misshifting but unfortunatly ther are quite a few dumbasses who don't payattention while shifting causes them to misshift.

So asyou can see it is not a proble with the motor itseld but teh person using the motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
lol! 4 engines by bad shifting?! I would be more careful after blowing one engine let alone blowing 4 of them for fucks sake! :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
They Need to make Tranys that are Idiot Proof. they cant be downshifted into the Car's Red Line.

it could be done with a Computer and a Celinoid Activating a Lock out pin. the computer should be programable so that tuners who have Balinced mottors can up the redline.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
sagaboy77 said:
if you read the article carefully he misshifted causing the motors to blow.
So asyou can see it is not a proble with the motor itseld but teh person using the motor.
Bzzzzt. Wrong. If YOU read it carfully it says that he blew ONE motor by mis-shifting. One was rebuilt wrong and TWO blew up under stress.
Again I know of people who I have personally spoken with that have blown up their GTS motors because the motors are weak! Bottom line is they suck. I know guys who do track events with 170K mile original motors in their 12 year old Sentra SE-R's...ZERO problems.
 

·
Immortal
Joined
·
332 Posts
Clean SE-R said:
Bzzzzt. Wrong. If YOU read it carfully it says that he blew ONE motor by mis-shifting. One was rebuilt wrong and TWO blew up under stress.
Again I know of people who I have personally spoken with that have blown up their GTS motors because the motors are weak! Bottom line is they suck. I know guys who do track events with 170K mile original motors in their 12 year old Sentra SE-R's...ZERO problems.
If you look at it, it's really a silly comparison... The 2ZZ is a horsepower motor, while the SR20DE and 5SFE are torque motors. Any high-revving alluminim block motor will blow if the drivers are careless, and being they're high-revving, there is a lot more stress on the internals. Only an idiot would blow up that engine numerous times... The 2ZZ of course is not as tough as the SR20, which has stock forged internals good for tons of power, but I wouldn't say it's not as tough as a 5SFE. If anything, it's a lot tougher. Go and revv a 5SFE to 8k and you'll see what I mean...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,015 Posts
the 2zz seems to be made weak sure it can rev up to 8000 but so can a 4age or a 4age20v for that matter. beside there are so many blown 2zz's its not funny. the 5sfe has a crappy head design slap a 3sge head on it and it will rev up to 8000 no problem. last i remembered the sr20 rev's quite high 7200 and up. i work at toyota and I hear about how many bugs are in the 2zzge. high reving aluminum engine. honda seems to have alot of those they don't seem to blow as much as 2zz's. the bottom line is the 2zzge is not as good as people think, i mean its toyota but its noting like what toyota had. also i love toyotas but i don't close my eyes to any other companies too. and whats up with toyota's plan of making non rebuildable engines.

p.s. It could also be the drivers but i don't think that many people that road race or autcross are that bad a driving their cars. their there to learn RIGHT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rdyzz said:
the bottom line is the 2zzge is not as good as people think, i mean its toyota but its noting like what toyota had. last i remembered the sr20 rev's quite high 7200 and up.
True.

BTW: SR20's can rev to 7,800 all day....no problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kwanza said:
If you look at it, it's really a silly comparison... The 2ZZ is a horsepower motor, while the SR20DE and 5SFE are torque motors. Any high-revving alluminim block motor will blow if the drivers are careless, and being they're high-revving, there is a lot more stress on the internals.

What? :confused: The indicated redline in my SE-R is 7,500. fuel cut off is 7,850. On the track it's never below 6K rpm for sustained amounts of time.
 

·
Immortal
Joined
·
332 Posts
rdyzz[/i] the 2zz seems to be made weak sure it can rev up to 8000 but so can a 4age or a 4age20v for that matter. beside there are so many blown 2zz's its not funny. [/quote] The 4AGE's won't sustain 8k+ rpms on stock internals for long. The rods simply aren't good enough said:
What? :confused: The indicated redline in my SE-R is 7,500. fuel cut off is 7,850. On the track it's never below 6K rpm for sustained amounts of time.
refer to the parts about forged internals... :rolleyes:

The revving issue is for comparison between the 5SFE and 2ZZGE. It's just silly comparing a motor as out-dated as the 5SFE to new technology like the 2ZZGE and say one or the other is a lot better. They do different fricken things people... Even a motor like the SR20DE... it's based off of a turbo motor and is built as such internally with only a few differences. It can rev, yes, but it's not a high-horsepower motor that needs to rev. Pure revving horsepower motors will be more sensitive to breakage at high rpms, but that in no way makes them weaker than iron block motors that usually live at around 4k rpms...

Oh, and just in case you guys are wondering who I am... I run a shop in Nor Cal. During the day, we're a regular smog/repair shop, but in the afternoon, we specialize in import performance. To date, we've built all of the cars in my signature, which are all my personal play cars, and we've built/swapped a ton of other cars (customer cars, personal cars, and track cars). I'm the Toyota guy, my Cousin is the Honda guy, and between us, we've built, raced, and beat around the bush with more than our share of engines... When people with limited knowledge make comparisons like this... it really makes me laugh...

Have fun...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
so my 1992 mr2 non turbo. i have the 5sfe engine right? and it can put the turbo mr2 motor Head on my non turbo motor and rev that bitch up too 8000rpm?????????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Zrain said:
They Need to make Tranys that are Idiot Proof. they cant be downshifted into the Car's Red Line.

it could be done with a Computer and a Celinoid Activating a Lock out pin. the computer should be programable so that tuners who have Balinced mottors can up the redline.
Nah, just don't let idiots drive cars...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,015 Posts
yea i don't know alot about the 2zzge. but what I can see is that it has no aftermarket cams for it. So virtally not all that much NA potential. so what if it can flow better than a b18c5 it isn't making the power right. I don't dislike the 2zzge let alone know much about it. But i guess its just to new. I guess it is toyotas new generation of GE engines the only one as of yet.

MR.TWO im planning on building a all motor 3rd gen 3sge. mr2 91 planning on going for 170-200whp major mods.
 

·
Immortal
Joined
·
332 Posts
rdyzz said:
yea i don't know alot about the 2zzge. but what I can see is that it has no aftermarket cams for it. So virtally not all that much NA potential. so what if it can flow better than a b18c5 it isn't making the power right. I don't dislike the 2zzge let alone know much about it. But i guess its just to new. I guess it is toyotas new generation of GE engines the only one as of yet.

MR.TWO im planning on building a all motor 3rd gen 3sge. mr2 91 planning on going for 170-200whp major mods.
Funny how you admit you don't know anything about the 2ZZ yet you still manage to *think* you know enough to argue against it... heh...:rolleyes:

Anyway, the ECU is what limits the 2ZZGE's power. You can get ~200 ish whp out of those things with a standalone, bolt-ons, and good tuning. That's before internal work, headwork, and lightening. The reason there are not any cams for it? simply because it lacks aftermarket support in that catergory. With that, you're gonna say, "I has intakes, headers, exhausts... what do you mean no aftermarket support?" then I'll answer, testing and tuning custom cam profiles is very expensive and difficult to do. The tuning industry doesn't take Toyotas into regard as much as they do other cars because Toyotas are usually not considered a popular tuning base, not to mention VVTL-i camshafts are pretty damn good as they are. I think you need to give it a rest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Kwanza owns this thread. Everything he's said so far makes complete sense, and as far as I know (which is far from encyclopedic) he's been correct.

I'd love to see a stock 5SFE bottom end spun to over 7000 on a regular basis (as pointless as it would be, oversquare designs are made for torque, not high strung HP) let alone 8000. They have trouble at 6400, and you're talking 8000?!?

I also have faith in the 2ZZ, I think its in the wrong cars, the Elise is a much lighter and dynamic chassis and its where the 2ZZ belongs.

Uninformed opinions are fun though. Carry on.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top