Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Nothing @ the moment
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read some threads on here about engines making noises and stuff like that, but I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing a ticking from the engine on the drivers side? It appears to be getting worse. I'm planning on taking it into the dealership tomorrow, but wanted to check you guys/gals out first.

When I take it in, I plan on having them address the TSB for the door moldings. At 50 MPH or higher, it sounds as if a door is cracked, but I have checked them so much, if I shut them one more time testing it, I may need new doors......and I'm only at 1400 miles. :)

Oh, another question. It has gotten rather cold down here in the South (in the 20s at night), and for the past two mornings, the TPMS light has been on (steady, not flashing). I know the tire pressure is ok, so what could be up with the light? Was also going to get them to check it while at the dealership. Might get them to take the TPMS out of the spare while there so I can test on my new wheels.

Thanks gang!

·
Chicks dig it...!
'06 Tacoma EC Sport
1,893 Posts
There are a gazillion threads about the "engine tick" and there is a TSB on it.

I would search "engine tick" and post here that you found the info rather quick...and try to extinguish the shiat storm before it starts...

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
How sure are you that the pressure is correct in all 5 tires? Yes I mean 5 as the spare has a TPMS sensor too and IT NEEDS TO BE FILLED otherwise the light will come on. Also, cold weather fucks with tire pressure something fierce. If all the tires check out pressure wise then try pressing the TPMS Reset Button which should make the light turn off if all the tires are indeed at the right pressure. The proper pressure is 29psi but I always keep mine at 35psi because the truck seems to handle better with the slightly higher pressure, also the tires to me look under inflated at 29psi.

·
Registered
Nothing @ the moment
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sony said:
How sure are you that the pressure is correct in all 5 tires? Yes I mean 5 as the spare has a TPMS sensor too and IT NEEDS TO BE FILLED otherwise the light will come on. Also, cold weather fucks with tire pressure something fierce. If all the tires check out pressure wise then try pressing the TPMS Reset Button which should make the light turn off if all the tires are indeed at the right pressure. The proper pressure is 29psi but I always keep mine at 35psi because the truck seems to handle better with the slightly higher pressure, also the tires to me look under inflated at 29psi.
I forgot about the reset. I'll try that when I leave for lunch today.

I thought the 29psi was a bit low, which is why I grought mine up to 32psi two weeks ago.

·
need to find money tree
2005 Tacoma
1,978 Posts
06TacomaDouble said:
. It has gotten rather cold down here in the South (in the 20s at night)
You poor baby... with the wind here its been about -20 to -30 for the past few days :headbang: wanna trade?

·
Registered
Nothing @ the moment
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I knew I was going to get slammed for making the 20 below comment, but that's cold for us here.

I just want 1/4 of the snow you guys get!!!! We hardly ever get show.....or anything during the winter.

·
Registered
131 Posts
amp2oo1 said:
You poor baby... with the wind here its been about -20 to -30 for the past few days :headbang: wanna trade?
Monday morning it was -23degrees NOT INCLUDING the wind, that brought it down to -40. I don't wanna hear any whining about cold:sosad:
P.S. I'm in suburban Minneapolis.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
06TacomaDouble said:
I have read some threads on here about engines making noises and stuff like that, but I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing a ticking from the engine on the drivers side? It appears to be getting worse. I'm planning on taking it into the dealership tomorrow, but wanted to check you guys/gals out first.
I have not mentioned it on here yet but my '07 DC PR has made a fluttering sound since it was new. It might be the same as what you are describing. When I get up over 40 mph I can barely here it. I thought it was something loose and blowing in the breeze. It does not coinside with engine rpm but vehicle speed. It have removed all those little tapes around wire looms and other parts (that I could find) but the noise is still there. It's very minor. If I don't listen for it, it's not even noticable.

·
Love the Tick
2001 Ford Ranger
286 Posts
I enjoy the ticking sound. Although I havent heard it much latley because the winds have been so strong. Perhaps when it gets up to 20 degrees I may hear it again.

·
Humble Servant
2012 DC PreRun Auto
1,158 Posts
Went to lunch in short sleeves.
Grass in front yard is GREEN.
If it doesn't get cold and quit raining, I'm gonna have to mow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
elfiero said:
Monday morning it was -23degrees NOT INCLUDING the wind, that brought it down to -40. I don't wanna hear any whining about cold:sosad:
P.S. I'm in suburban Minneapolis.
-23 F??:eek: And I thought the "cold" weather here...35F was causing my idle to be a little rough on startup...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I took my truck for the engine tick TSB and they replaced both of the exhaust manifold and it made a big difference i can barely hear the tick.

·
05 TRD Sport
50 Posts
I have yet to see a site that is so eager to flame someone for asking a question instead of doing a search, some of y'all need ta GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!

·
2012/14 Stanley Cup Champ
1,883 Posts
06TacomaDouble said:
Save the trip to the dealership and head over to BestBuy, Circuit City, or any stereo/electronics store and pick up a new stereo, speakers and sub. When the ticking gets too loud, crank up the volume.

As for the TPMS, cold weather affects tire pressure. When the temps dropped here, the light came on instantly. Sure enough pressure was 26psi or lower. Once I filled them up to 30 and 32, light went off.

Now on to the snow....it's back into the 60's here and the snow is melting pretty damn fast....I can see my street for the 1st time in over 45 days. I miss the snow as I need to test out the locker mod and practice my donuts in the cul-de-sac again.

·
need to find money tree
2005 Tacoma
1,978 Posts
Dipstick said:
I have yet to see a site that is so eager to flame someone for asking a question instead of doing a search, some of y'all need ta GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!
you've obviously never heard of TTORA have you?;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts