Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello all, I work in the wheel and tire business, I've see a few post asking what will fit on ones car, here is a safe fitment guide and data for all models 2018/2019. If you have a "strange or weird or crazy" fitment you would like to try please ask.

POPULAR FITMENTS:
16X7.0 38 OFFSET W/ 215/60-16 TIRES
17 X 7.0 38 OFFSET W/ 215/55-17 TIRES
18 X 7.5 45 OFFSET W/ 235/45-18 TIRES
19 X 7.5 45 OFFSET W/ 235/40-19 TIRES
20 X 8.0 45 OFFSET W/ 235/35-20 TIRES
MAX WHEEL WIDTH: 8.5 IN
MAX TIRE HEIGHT: 26.56 IN
MAX TIRE WIDTH : 255MM
WIDTH OFFSET
6.5 +04/+65
7.0 +10/+60
7.5 +16/+54
8.0 +23/+48
8.5 +29/+41
**THE MINIMUM OFFSETS SHOWN ABOVE ARE FLUSH WITH THE
OUTER FENDER LIP. USING OFFSETS LOWER WILL PUT THE
FACE OF THE WHEEL OUTSIDE OF THE FENDER AND COULD
CAUSE RUBBING. **
ohmoflife, with all due respect to your profession and skills, I don't agree with your recommended "safe fitment guide". I would be very careful to name it as "safe".
There must be a good reason why Toyota engineers specified 45 mm offset for L, LE and XLE trims and 50 mm for SE and XSE. One main difference is the type of suspension they use: normal versus sporty.
A deviation from a designed offset may lead to unstable driving dynamics and poor breaking. Here is a good article that explains why matching an OEM offset is important:
https://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/712036/helping-your-customer-understand-why-wheel-offset-matters
I, personally wouldn't deviate from an OEM offset. However, if there is someone who chose otherwise, it would be great to hear their feedback and know if the wheel/tire change they made is safe.
Furthermore, I wish to know where the "king pin angle" is stored on Camry's ECU and how can it be changed if one wishes to switch between 50 to 45 mm offset.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ohmoflife, with all due respect to your profession and skills, I don't agree with your recommended "safe fitment guide". I would be very careful to name it as "safe".
There must be a good reason why Toyota engineers specified 45 mm offset for L, LE and XLE trims and 50 mm for SE and XSE. One main difference is the type of suspension they use: normal versus sporty.
A deviation from a designed offset may lead to unstable driving dynamics and poor breaking. Here is a good article that explains why matching an OEM offset is important:
https://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/712036/helping-your-customer-understand-why-wheel-offset-matters
I, personally wouldn't deviate from an OEM offset. However, if there is someone who chose otherwise, it would be great to hear their feedback and know if the wheel/tire change they made is safe.
Furthermore, I wish to know where the "king pin angle" is stored on Camry's ECU and how can it be changed if one wishes to switch between 50 to 45 mm offset.
I came across this good illustration to prove an importance of keeping the same offset as OEM specified:

One may note that an offset (1) directly affects the scrub radius (2). The smaller the offset (1) value gets, the further center of the wheel moves outward (in case of illustration it moves toward the left), and as a result scrub radius (2) increases.
Unless suspension could be calibrated with a certain range (angle of steerig angle axis) to compensate for a change in (2), steering, breaking and uneven tire wear will occur.
Last thing, an ECU has nothing to do with KPA. That was some nonsense I wrote earlier.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tempted to put 16in rims in place of the stock 17ins on my LE. Is it worth it for the extra added comfort or is the added effect too minimal to even bother? I plan on putting some Grand Touring tires on my car either way but just trying to decide if it's worth the hassle or not.
I have the same dilemma whether or not to downsize from 18 to 17 or even 16. I am not too fond of 18 that my SE came with. Besides the looks and better cornering stability, there are no benefits of having 18's. I tend to lean toward comfort, excellent choices and prices for 16 inch wheels over the overpriced and limited choice of 18's. The main question though is, will they fit?
Last time I measured spacing between the wheel and suspension/break hardware on 18's, there were barely 5-6 mm radial spacing for 16 inch and 18-19 mm for 17. That could be a bit too tight to accommodate balancing weights and still have a clearance.
JamesCamry18, I'd appreciate if you could verify my measurements on your current LE wheel for spacing please.
If you will go for a 16, you may want to stick with the OEM's offset of 45mm, that's my advise to you.

Is there anyone who downsized from 18's to 17's or 16's ? What is your input on that change please? Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the same dilemma whether or not to downsize from 18 to 17 or even 16. I am not too fond of 18 that my SE came with. Besides the looks and better cornering stability, there are no benefits of having 18's. I tend to lean toward comfort, excellent choices and prices for 16 inch wheels over the overpriced and limited choice of 18's. The main question though is, will they fit?
Last time I measured spacing between the wheel and suspension/break hardware on 18's, there were barely 5-6 mm radial spacing for 16 inch and 18-19 mm for 17. That could be a bit too tight to accommodate balancing weights and still have a clearance.
JamesCamry18, I'd appreciate if you could verify my measurements on your current LE wheel for spacing please.
If you will go for a 16, you may want to stick with the OEM's offset of 45mm, that's my advise to you.

Is there anyone who downsized from 18's to 17's or 16's ? What is your input on that change please? Thanks!
From what I'm aware of all the rims on every 8th Gen Camry are swappable between the different trim levels since that's all they are, trim levels. It's the exact same car just with different features. So you should be able to put the L or LE rims on your SE or similarly sized aftermarket ones.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts