Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 424 Posts

·
mall crawler
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are a couple FAQ’s about the 2005 to 2007 Toyota Tacoma wheels. If some information is incorrect please let me know. Also, if there is more wheel information that I can add just pm me. Please do not add any unnecessary comments to this FAQ. I would like to keep this as clean as possible. Feel free to add specs on your wheels and tires but please keep clutter to a minimum. Include the same specs as below and a couple pictures to include a side shot. This thread will be constantly be worked on so the tire section will be added later.

EDIT: If you are adding info or pm'ing me info, include your tire brand and size. If I put a picture of your truck up here and you dont want it there just pm me. Any questions that are asked and answered in the thread I will add to the first post will the res of the FAQ so you don't have to read through all the pages.

FAQ

What is my stock tire size on my
Tacoma?

Well there are a couple of stock tire sizes and that depends on what trim and whether or not you have a TRD (Toyota Racing Development) package added. The pictures below are the wheels with the stock tire sizes that came with those wheels. Here are the following specifications for stock tire sizes:

Regular Cab, Access 4x2 215/70-R15
Prerunner models without TRD 245/75-R16
All 4x4 models without TRD 245/75-R16
TRD Offroad 265/70-R16
TRD Sport 265/65-R17
X-Runner 255/45-R18

With X brand lift, what size tire can I fit?

Most owners that get new tires after a lift with 16 inch tires opt to go with the 285/75R16 tire size which is approximately 33 inches. For a 17 inch tire, most will opt to go with 285/70-R17 which is the same size. There are a few owners with six inch lifts that put 35 inch tires on their trucks.

Is there any trimming involved with going with a larger tire?

It depends on the tire size you go with and whether or not you have a lift. With a 33” tire (285/75-R16, 285/70-R16) or larger you will have to do some sort of trimming and/or modifications even with a 3 inch lift.

What is the largest tire I can run without trimming or a lift?

The largest tire you can run without rubbing or putting on a lift is 265/75-R16 which is a 32 inch tire. Not all tires of that size are the same exact size. There may be up to a half inch difference between the different tire manufacturers. Bridgestone’s 265/75-R16 may be a half inch different from a BFGoodrich 265/75-R16 tire.

I bought a 16 inch wheel but it won’t fit on my truck. Do I need to go with a 17 inch wheel?

Some people have ran into problems trying to run 16 inch wheels. Most of these problems have been with the back of the wheel hitting the caliper. Near the end of the FAQ will be a list of wheels that fit with their size and specifications located next to it. If you are getting your wheels through 4wheel parts and they are saying that the 16 inch wheel will not fit tell them to try anyways. Alof of members have been told this by 4WP but their 16 inch wheels fit anyways. 4WP will allow you to test fit the wheels before you commit to buying them.

Will my gas mileage go down with my bigger wheels and/or tires?

Yes, expect a drop in your gas mileage that could be from one to four MPG. If you care about your mileage then opt to go with some street tires that don’t have an aggressive pattern. If gas mileage is of no concern to you then go for a more aggressive tire.

Will a larger tire throw my speedometer off? By how much?

Yes it will be off by just a little bit and here is a link to a web site that will tell you by how much if will be off. Just put your stock tire size on the left hand side and your new tire size on the right. Tire Size Calculator -> http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

What is our bolt diameter?

For the six lugs it is 6 on 5.5 meaning 6 lugs in a 5.5 inch diameter If you need the 6 lug in metric it is 6x139.7. For the 5 luggers, it is 5x100

I don't want to get new wheels but I want new tires. What size can I go with?

The max size for the TRD Sport wheels is 265/70-R17. 265/75-R16 will fit on the stock rims.

What does that mean? I'm about to get a 3" lift, then I want to put bigger tires (285/70/R17) on my stock TRD sport wheels. I can still do that right?

You can but you will need a 1/2" spacer to clear the UCA.

·
mall crawler
1,527 Posts
Specs and Pictures

Brand: Wheelers Steelies Type A (Made by Pro Comp)
Size: 16x8
Backspace: Unknown
Colors: Black, Polished
Price: $70
Type: Steel Wheel
Owner: MrGrimm

Tires: BFGoodrich Mud Terrain 265/75-16

SilverStreak05's truck

Brand: Pro Comp 7089
Colors: Black
Price: $120-140
Type: Aluminum Alloy
Owner: derskillz

Tires: Toyo Open Country A/T 285/75-R16

Brand:[/B] MB Rocker
Backspace: 4.25
Colors: Chrome Plated
Price: $120
Owner: toku58
[/SIZE]Tires: BFGoodrich All Terrain 285/75-R16

Brand: Pro Comp 6001
Backspace: 4.5
Colors: Chrome Plated
Price: $180-200
Type: unknown
Owner: tacoma2006
Tires: Goodyear Wrangler 33" tires

Brand: American Racing Mojave
Colors: Teflon Coated
Price: $210
Owner: SDHQ Offroad
Tires: unknown

Brand: Moto Metal 951
Size: 16x9
Colors: Black, Chrome
Price: $120
Owner: blacked out toy
Tires: BFGoodrich Mud Terrain 285/75-R16

10SE's truck

OneMnk's truck

Brand: MB Wheels Gunner 6
Size: 16x8 -6 offset
Colors: Anthracite, Black, Chrome
Price: $131
Type: Unknown

Owner: SlvrAZtaco
Tires: Nitto Terra Grappler 285 75 R16

·
mall crawler
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Brand: American Racing Chambers
Price: $200
Owner: unknown
Tires: BFGoodrich All Terrains 285/75-R16

Brand: Panther Realms
Size: 20
Colors: Chrome
Price: $300
Owner: Bigblue
Tires: Toyo Proxes 285/50-20

Brand: Boze Stinger 6
Size: 17
Backspace: unknown
Colors: Custom powder coat
Price: unknown
Owner: Pb
Tires: Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor 275/70-R17

Brand: Toyota FJ Cruiser Special Edition TRD
Size: 16
Colors: Graphite, Silver
Price: $120 (currently not on sale due to backorders)
Owner: TacomaUSSS

PRERUNNERSPOT's truck

Brand: American Racing Victor
Size: 17
Price: $210
Type:
Owner: marnes2986
Tires: BFGoodrich All Terrains 285/70-17

Brand: Enkei WT4
Colors: unknown
Type:
Owner: viet2100
Tires: COntinental 255/50-R20

X-SP's truck

Brand: Helo Maxx 6
Size: 17x9
Colors: Black, Chrome
Price: $150
Type:
Owner: TrdTacoma84
Tires: BFG 265/70-R17

Brand: Mickey Thompson Classic Lock
Size: unknown
Colors: Polished
Price: $180
Type:
Owner: 226-2tone

RKC's truck on 33 inch BFG Muds w/3 inch toytec lift

Brand: Enkei's (unknown model)
Type:
Owner: LanNinja

Brand: Eagle Alloys 186
Price: $110-130
Type:
Owner: LanNinja
Tires: BFG A/T 285/70-17

Brand: Centerline Eight ball
Colors: Polished, Chrome
Price: $300
Type:
Owner: jantzer
Tires: BFG A/T 285/70-17

Brand: MKW M-26
Size: 20x10
Price: $410
Owner: 2004R1Rider
Tires: Toyo Open Country MT 33 inch

Brand: Ivan Stewart TRD
Colors: unknown
Owner: Taco5
Tires: 285/75-R16 Yokohama Geolander MT+

toytaco970's truck

Brand: Dick Cepek DC-1
Colors: Chrome, Black, Polished
Price: $170
Owner: badcop621
Tires: 35x12.5 Micket Thompson MTZ

Brand: Pro Comp 1079
Backspace: 4
Price: $125
Owner: jadamjr
Tires: 285/75-16 Starfire Durango XTR

·
Registered
Toyota Taco 05'
695 Posts
Great FAQ....when looking for wheels just look for (6x5.5 and 16x8/17x8) with a 0 offset and 4.0-4.5 backspacing. If the wheel youre looking at doesnt meet these specs then move on, trust me it'll be a bitch to put on, you might run into other things to modify the fitment, Ex. Grinding down caliper

Now as for tires: I always hear people juggling between 285/75/16 or with 265 because they are scared of rubbing issues. Just get the 285 because its not that hard to cut plastic. And if the rubbing is really bad where the tire is knocking your fender during wheeling, Glassworks is coming out with a mid size fender flare for our trucks (about 2-3 flare) which will be perfect for people with REALLY bad rubbing issues.

One more tip: If you have a choice b/t 16" wheel or 17".....pick the 16".......i learned the hard way....tires that accomodate for a 17" wheel are more expensive than a tire that accomodates a 16" wheel.

Example- BFG 285/70/17 = around $200
BFG 285/75/16 = around $150

THEY ARE THE SAME SIZE TIRE BUT YOU HAVE TO PAY MORE WITH 17", youll save about $200

My .02

The most badass wheels in my opinion are the Walker Evans with TRUE Beadlock and the NEW! ATX Chamber PRO with TRUE beadlocks
Theyre about 300 a wheel

·
Registered
317 Posts
what about if we're looking for 18's or 20's? Do it X8 with 0 offset and 4.0-4.5 backspacing as well?

·
Registered
06 Tacoma 4x4
124 Posts
great thread, hopefully we can keep this going with wheel pics (alone) and with them on the truck.

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
MrGrimm said:
I don't want to get new wheels but I want new tires. What size can I go with?

The max size for the TRD Sport wheels is 265/70-R17. 265/75-R16 will fit on the stock rims.

What does that mean? I'm about to get a 3" lift, then I want to put bigger tires (285/70/R17) on my stock TRD sport wheels. I can still do that right?

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
ilovetacos said:
You can but you will need a 1/2" spacer to clear the UCA.
sorry i'm just a big ol noob.

where can i get a 1/2 spacer? how much do they usually costs? does it go in the rear or front wheels, or both? can i install it myself?

·
threads will be hi-jacked
811 Posts
yes very well done not [email protected] like i would have done it lol. but one more thing my trd offroad came with stock 265/75r16 you have 265/70r16. i know some are dealers are different than others but thats what mine came with. just proof readin for ya lol

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
OUTSTANDING!! Nice work!!!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
06 TRD Sport 4x4
1,459 Posts
mjonags32 said:
sorry i'm just a big ol noob.

where can i get a 1/2 spacer? how much do they usually costs? does it go in the rear or front wheels, or both? can i install it myself?

Any auto parts store or tire shop should carry them.

Check out these...http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.169/.f ...they are a little pricey but I heard they are the best.

Easy to install....Front only.

·
Back to Gillwell
140 Posts
With a 3 inch lift and stock 16 inch rims (looking to trade out my 17 inch rims) will I need spacers in the front? I am thinking lift now and rims in the fall

·
Registered
196 Posts
How much are you looking at for a set of Ivan Stewarts 16x8 with the Revos
and will they work on an unlifted truck

·
Registered
3 Posts
different wheel sizes

Hi all,
may be a silly question, but i'm looking at the 17 inch diameter version of one of the wheels listed above that works with the 07 tacoma (pro comp 6089 16 inch) the 17-inch should also fit, correct?

thanks for any response,
scott

1 - 20 of 424 Posts