Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Unofficial TN Member
Camry
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I drive a 2000 Camry.

I put 18x8 wheels in the rear, at least i tried... they touched the strut so i took them off.
18x8 fit the front perfectly fine. (tires, 225/40/18, offset +45)

I put 10mm spacers in the back, and the wheels seem to separate enough from the strut, but i can barely get a finger in between the wheel and strut. i hear rubbing noises whenever i go over small bumps, or make left/right turns. i seem to have no trouble going forward...but i haven't tried high speeds.

If i put 15mm spacers, it looks like the wheel/tire will touch the well.

WHAT DO I DO!? am i doomed to reverse my entire setup back to stock because 18x8 won't fit?!

will i need a wheel alignment as well after going from stock 15x6 to 18x8?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I've got 18 X 7 and they fit perfectly. A little rub over bumps, but that's from bad struts.

I don't think the tires can touch the strut themselves as they're bolted together as one piece...right?

·
Unofficial TN Member
Camry
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you use spacers in the rear?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Nope. I know pretty much nothing about rim fitment so I just slapped 'em in and said "look at that".

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
You are failing to give us an important piece of info, the offset of the rims.

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
how much do 10mm spacers cost?

·
The Tri-Camry Family
2001 Toyota Camry
1,175 Posts
What size tire are you running on the 18s?

·
pro nub
2000 CAMRY
222 Posts
I'm not sure if there is a difference in the rear offset for v6s and 4cyls,
but for 4 cyl gen 4s trying to run 18x8 running 235/40/18 tires you will need to
have an offset between 30-35 in the rear with rolling/shaving the fenders to clear the strut.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
If you can get a finger between the tire/wheel and the strut there is plenty of clearance there. The tire will never get any closer to the strut. It's rigidly mounted. Your rub has to be coming from the wheelwell or lip somewhere. Sounds like you are very close to fitting fine. Might need a little bit of fender rolling.

·
Unofficial TN Member
Camry
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
offset +45
225/40/18 tires

·
pro nub
2000 CAMRY
222 Posts
Sounds like you're rubbing the fenders with that offset running 10mm spacers.
If you really want to pin point the rubbing issue, you can line your fender well with
masking tape and drive around for a bit.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Effectively you are running a 35mm offset wheel. Wonder if a 5mm spacer would solve this?

·
Unofficial TN Member
Camry
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Effectively you are running a 35mm offset wheel. Wonder if a 5mm spacer would solve this?
you mean add 5mm on top of my 10mm spacers?

my concern regarding the tire is not that it touches the strut, but that if i pushed it out farther with 15mm(total), the tire will touch the wheel well. also, when the strut compresses over bumps, etc, that the tire will touch...well...something.

i'm not certain why there is rubbing when i'm making left or right turns....i wasn't expecting the rear wheels to move at all. but i guess it moves little enough to make contact.

but before i go spending more money, i'd like to know for certain whether i'd need 15mm or 20mm total spacer...

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
NEVER add spacers on top of other spacers. EVER. Other than that word of advice, i'm not 100% sure what he meant. :lol:

·
Unofficial TN Member
Camry
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^got it.

will i need a wheel alignment though? or just replace the 10mm with 15mm spacers?

·
The guy with a maroon 92
472 Posts
bingo.

on 18x7 +45 225 (depending on tire) will roll and rub on the strut
on 18x8 +45 225 should not roll, eliminating your strut clearance as a problem.

check your struts for any rubbing away off dirt/dust, if so add 5mm

put the rims on and ask somebody to slowly drive about 5 feet and determine if your back is rubbing the fender with weight in the back seat. slip a piece of heavy paper between the tire and fender and watch if it krinkles. if so, you have to roll your fenders. maybe in combination with a 5mm spacer.

·
Unofficial TN Member
Camry
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i'm confused....

if the wheels i'm installing are offset +45, and i slap on 10mm spacers...wouldnt that make it offset +35?

the 18x8 (225/40) without any spacers, touch the strut so hard the wheel doesn't budge.

with 10mm spacers...there's maybe 2-3mm of clearance from the strut, the wheel rolls...it just still within zone to touch something. i stepped inside my trunk and jumped up and down. no problems with the wheel/tire touching the wheel well.

i don't see how a 5mm could help me at all, it'll get the wheel back closer to the strut, possibly to even touch again.

·
[g4.Rep]
1999 Toyota Camry LE
1,591 Posts
okay, break it down..

WITHOUT the 10mm spacer: You rub on the strut (INSIDE) @ 45mm offset.

WITH the 10mm spacer: You rub on the wheel well (OUTSIDE) @ 35mm offset.

so.. use a 5mm spacer, it'll put you in between- we have cars out here (like mine!) that the wheel is about 3 credit-card thickness away from the strut plus it'll put you in the manufacturer's "ideal" offset range of 40mm on an 8" width wheel.

Since 18x8 +35 is too aggressive for a non modified fender, +40 should serve you right.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts