Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The Prius wheels will still be pulled in enough that a 15mm-25mm spacer will work much better. If you use a 5mm spacer you will need extended studs, it's so much easier to use a larger spacer.
Yes I think that I’ll put a 10mm hubcentric spacer in there and just use extended studs for when I replace my brakes end of this year. For now I’m just going to install as is to see if how it fits. I’d rather use the extended studs rather than the integrated studs that is bolted on to the spacer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
My car has the TPMS reset button in the glove compartment. Is that the receiver you mentioned?
Oh. Ok. then I think there's a receiver in your car I guess.

I wonder if it’s cheaper to get a TPMS scan tool and just program it myself.
yes. you can. it's around $30 on amazon. I've already relearned the sensor by myself. just input the sensor id and done.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok, I just installed my new to me Prius 15x6.5 40 offset rims without spacers. They just bolted in but I had to buy 20 pieces new 12x1.5 lug nuts with mag seat.

I did check by hand to make sure that the calipers and struts in front were not touching. They all cleared fine. The rear are drum brakes so no issues there.

The wheels came with TPMS and my TPMS light hasn’t turned on yet. So it may have just recognized the “new” sensors. Crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Oh. Ok. then I think there's a receiver in your car I guess.

yes. you can. it's around $30 on amazon. I've already relearned the sensor by myself. just input the sensor id and done.
In case my TPMS light turns on later, what brand and model number sensor did you get from Amazon? There are lots but I couldn’t figure out what’s for Toyota’s.

·
Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,382 Posts
In case my TPMS light turns on later, what brand and model number sensor did you get from Amazon? There are lots but I couldn’t figure out what’s for Toyota’s.

Denso from Rock Auto less than $50 each. The issue is having the ECU recognize them without the tools to do it. Best to just go to the shop and have them do it for both the TPMS and the setup.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Denso from Rock Auto less than $50 each. The issue is having the ECU recognize them without the tools to do it. Best to just go to the shop and have them do it for both the TPMS and the setup.
Thanks I was actually asking about the TPMS scan tool from Amazon. My wheels already came with the sensors. So far no TPMS warning light since I’ve installed the wheels.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
cheapest option is to live with the light on :p how does the offset look without spacers?
It looks the same as stock. The new wheels are 0.5 inch thicker so whatever offset I lost from the original 33 to the new 40 was made up by the thicker rim. I only lost .03 inches of poke towards the fender but gained 0.52 inches backspacing towards the suspension.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ok, my TPMS light turned on. I guess I needed to have driven it more than 10 miles for it to detect the different sensors.

I’ll just have to bring it in to the local tire shop to reprogram it.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,325 Posts
Ok, I just installed my new to me Prius 15x6.5 40 offset rims without spacers. They just bolted in but I had to buy 20 pieces new 12x1.5 lug nuts with mag seat.

I did check by hand to make sure that the calipers and struts in front were not touching. They all cleared fine. The rear are drum brakes so no issues there.

The wheels came with TPMS and my TPMS light hasn’t turned on yet. So it may have just recognized the “new” sensors. Crossing my fingers.

I knew that they would fit but be sucked in enough that a nice spacer would make them look better. Most stock wheels don't have a good offset.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Those wheels look so small! I still have the same wheels that came on our Prius. Why not get a nicer looking 16" or 17" wheel?
I like high profile wheels. They’re light and comfortable for the rough roads on my commute. I’ve had 17”s in my GLI before and didn’t like the ride. I looked around for 16”s but they’re hard to find and really not much difference with 15”s. I’ve had 15”s on my 3800 lbs 95 Mercedes E320 and have never had any issues with handling.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I knew that they would fit but be sucked in enough that a nice spacer would make them look better. Most stock wheels don't have a good offset.
Yes I’m thinking of decreasing the offset to 30mm from the current 40 later on. I want the extra 0.5 inch to poke out rather than backspace.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,325 Posts
I like high profile wheels. They’re light and comfortable for the rough roads on my commute. I’ve had 17”s in my GLI before and didn’t like the ride. I looked around for 16”s but they’re hard to find and really not much difference with 15”s. I’ve had 15”s on my 3800 lbs 95 Mercedes E320 and have never had any issues with handling.

I've found the difference in tires can also make a huge difference. I didn't notice much of a difference when going to a 17" wheel from my OEM 16". On my wife's 2010 Prius I just hated the look of the OEM alloy wheels as they looked smaller than even the 15" size that they are. I bought a better looking, lighter 15" wheel that looked larger. Now she has a set of 16" wheels that are even lighter and look great with no loss of ride quality.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I've found the difference in tires can also make a huge difference. I didn't notice much of a difference when going to a 17" wheel from my OEM 16". On my wife's 2010 Prius I just hated the look of the OEM alloy wheels as they looked smaller than even the 15" size that they are. I bought a better looking, lighter 15" wheel that looked larger. Now she has a set of 16" wheels that are even lighter and look great with no loss of ride quality. View attachment 311979
Those look nice on your Prius.

I prefer rims with spokes not flushed with the lip. With higher profile tires I think having some lip in the rims make it look more three dimensional. I’m going after my old 1980 Corolla that I had installed banana rims. Too bad these have 4 bolt patterns and very little offset as they’re for RWD cars.

The rims I have now have that three dimensionality and recessed some lip to round off the tires.

I also like the angular spokes on these rims as the 11th Gen Corolla has a more angular or edgy design.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,325 Posts
Those look nice on your Prius.

I prefer rims with spokes not flushed with the lip. With higher profile tires I think having some lip in the rims make it look more three dimensional. I’m going after my old 1980 Corolla that I had installed banana rims. Too bad these have 4 bolt patterns and very little offset as they’re for RWD cars.

The rims I have now have that three dimensionality and recessed some lip to round off the tires.

I also like the angular spokes on these rims as the 11th Gen Corolla has a more angular or edgy design.

The reason that I like the spokes that extend longer is that they make the wheel look bigger than it is. When spokes curl in the wheel looks even smaller which I hate. People think that I have 18" wheels on my Corollas because of the wheel design but they are both 17".

Reactions: gold94corolla

·
Mr. Roo
Super Moderator
11,406 Posts
^^^ exactly. In order to have the same effective looking size, you'd have to add one inch of diameter to a wheel that has a "lip" , as opposed to wheels that don't and have the spokes going all the way to the rim. I had 19" wheels with a dish lip on my IS but didn't like the tiny tires, so I got 18" with full spokes to get a bigger tire while maintaining the same look.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,325 Posts
^^^ exactly. In order to have the same effective looking size, you'd have to add one inch of diameter to a wheel that has a "lip" , as opposed to wheels that don't and have the spokes going all the way to the rim. I had 19" wheels with a dish lip on my IS but didn't like the tiny tires, so I got 18" with full spokes to get a bigger tire while maintaining the same look.
Yep!!! I don't know how people like having a smaller looking wheel. When I took the covers off of my wife's Prius wheels they looked like they were 14" wheels just like the wheels that Mercron has. I like having a little more sidewall with a wheel that looks bigger and cleaner.

Reactions: gold94corolla
21 - 40 of 52 Posts