Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought rims and tires for my ‘14 L that came originally with 15 inch steelies. I think current offset is 33mm.

I got 15x6.5 inch rims with 40mm offset from a 2016 Toyota Prius. It came with 195/55R 15 tires. I would’ve wanted higher profile wheels and tires but the roads I drive on are bad.

If I want add a 5mm spacer to reduce the offset by 5mm, do I need to get extended studs?

Or, can I just install the tires without spacers with the 40mm offset?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
10,529 Posts
Adding 40mm increased offset +7. It's moving towards the strut. Adding a 5mm spacer brings it back to the fender side. Should poke a bit.

You shouldn't need to use extended studs, unless the spacers you buy aren't included. Make sure to buy hub centric ones.

The set I have is attached to the original wheel studs. There's an additional set of wheel studs that are elongated from the base of the spacer past the thickness of the spacer.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Adding 40mm increased offset +7. It's moving towards the strut. Adding a 5mm spacer brings it back to the fender side. Should poke a bit.

You shouldn't need to use extended studs, unless the spacers you buy aren't included. Make sure to buy hub centric ones.

The set I have is attached to the original wheel studs. There's an additional set of wheel studs that are elongated from the base of the spacer past the thickness of the spacer.
Thanks. Yes, I meant to reduce my new rims’ from 40 offset to 35mm by installing a 5mm spacer. I do not think 5mm spacers come with integrated studs. Those I think come with 15mm and up.

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
10,529 Posts
Thanks. Yes, I meant to reduce my new rims’ from 40 offset to 35mm by installing a 5mm spacer. I do not think 5mm spacers come with integrated studs. Those I think come with 15mm and up.

What brand are you going to use for extended wheel studs?

·
Registered
314 Posts
my wheels are flush with the body with 25mm spacers that have their own bolts on them and 40 offset 6.5 inch wheels, no rubbing... my reason for the spacers was that I was stupid and got 114x5 wheels thinkin that'd fit LOL and I was stubborn and didnt want to re-sell the wheels

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What brand are you going to use for extended wheel studs?
I wasn’t planning on getting extended studs with just the 5mm spacer. I’d just use the OEM studs and buy some M12x1.5 mag seat lug nuts.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my wheels are flush with the body with 25mm spacers that have their own bolts on them and 40 offset 6.5 inch wheels, no rubbing... my reason for the spacers was that I was stupid and got 114x5 wheels thinkin that'd fit LOL and I was stubborn and didnt want to re-sell the wheels
I’d say that works well to get that flushed look.

I just want to keep the same offset or as close to 33 with just the extra width of the new rims spread out evenly on both sides.

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
10,529 Posts
+34 or 35 will be closer to what your current wheel offset is.

Its good to know that you won't be using extended wheel studs. Because those could possibly contribute to extra stress and cause premature failure of the wheel bearing.

Only thing to ensure is that it's hub centric spacer. If not, the spacer can move and possibly cause premature failure also.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+34 or 35 will be closer to what your current wheel offset is.

Its good to know that you won't be using extended wheel studs. Because those could possibly contribute to extra stress and cause premature failure of the wheel bearing.

Only thing to ensure is that it's hub centric spacer. If not, the spacer can move and possibly cause premature failure also.
Here’s a picture of my steelies with the hub. Given that the hub collar is only 5mm deep, I’m afraid that I won’t be able to put a 5mm spacer in there. The spacer would use up all that collar. I don’t think they make 5mm hubcentric spacers.

I could then either go with no spacer and live with the 40mm offset, or get 15mm hubcentric spacers and end up with a 25mm offset. I just don’t know if the 15mm will be thick enough to cover the wheel stud as it might poke the back of the rim. The new rim do not have the indentation for the staggered studs.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
+25 too far out there.

Are you going to be reverting back to the steel set? If so, then you'd only need the spacers for the Prius wheels.
No, not going back to steel wheels. I’m just going with the Prius rims without the spacer.

Another question on the TPMS, the Prius wheels come with TPMS. Can I just relearn them after installing the wheels on my car?

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
10,529 Posts
No, not going back to steel wheels. I’m just going with the Prius rims without the spacer.

Another question on the TPMS, the Prius wheels come with TPMS. Can I just relearn them after installing the wheels on my car?

I would call americas tire or discount tire and inquire. I've seen on this forum that they can be programmed, but not entirely sure as I've never had this done.

·
Registered
71 Posts
No.you need to check if there's a TPMS receiver in your car. if your stock corolla doesnt come with TPMS then there's no TPMS recevier there.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
10,408 Posts

TPMS should be compatible but I don't guarantee that. You will need the ID's to get them into the ECU.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No.you need to check if there's a TPMS receiver in your car. if your stock corolla doesnt come with TPMS then there's no TPMS recevier there.
My car has the TPMS reset button in the glove compartment. Is that the receiver you mentioned?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would call americas tire or discount tire and inquire. I've seen on this forum that they can be programmed, but not entirely sure as I've never had this done.
We don’t have those shops here in HI. I did ask a local tire shop here and they said to just take it in and they’ll see if they can program it. If not, they’ll take the TPMS from my old wheels and install in the new one. It’ll cost around $100.

I wonder if it’s cheaper to get a TPMS scan tool and just program it myself.

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
10,529 Posts
Ok. Then
We don’t have those shops here in HI. I did ask a local tire shop here and they said to just take it in and they’ll see if they can program it. If not, they’ll take the TPMS from my old wheels and install in the new one. It’ll cost around $100.

I wonder if it’s cheaper to get a TPMS scan tool and just program it myself.

Not sure how beneficial it would be for you to use a tool once or twice. If the tool retails for $150 or more. But then again, it's costing you $50 more over the shop quote.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,182 Posts
The Prius wheels will still be pulled in enough that a 15mm-25mm spacer will work much better. If you use a 5mm spacer you will need extended studs, it's so much easier to use a larger spacer.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts