Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can these be changed without changing the assembly? I am surprised it broke as it came off so easily it must have been broken for a while and never fell out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
712 Posts
yes you can replace just the stud, you need to remove the rotor then basically just hammer out the old one and slot the new one in, then you can thread on a nut to pull the new stud into place. Need to use an open ended nut though. Plenty of tutorials on google how to do it. If your hub is old, hubs aren't really expensive and might be worth replacing while you're at it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yeah, it is worth noting the hub assembly could be replaced, which will include new studs.

I replaced the studs for extended ones by removing the hub only. The hub comes apart by itself and the rest of the shoes and springs stay in place. Hammered them out and then put it all back in. I do think that you can do it on the car if you are replacing stock length studs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
From the looks of the break to save your time, unless you really want to spend a while hammering it out, just get a new hub and it will also give you a piece of mind that it is new vs old and rusted.

·
Registered
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the fronts.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Been there and done that.

It can be hammered out from outside i.e. from the side you see in the pic into the back of the rotor. Put the new stud from behind use a lugnut and tighten it till stud is in place and flush. Replacement studs are a couple of bucks at any auto store.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Confirmed. I have replaced a broken/lost stud on-car on our 00 corolla. Does not take too long. I did not hammer. I remember I used my clamps or press from autoparts. Then inserted new one and used lug nut.

Reactions: Tidbits
1 - 8 of 8 Posts