Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Touge Star
2000 Toyota Camry LE
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The setup:
All fenders rolled, very slight pull in the rear. Rubbing occurs in the front under hard cornering and at full-lock when going over driveways.
18x7.5 +38 all around (25mm spacers in rear) with 225/40/18 tires
Front: -1.2°, .25" of tire tucking fender
Rear: ~-3°, .75" of tire tucking fender (almost no space between fender/tire and tire/coilover

Hmm, I've had a few issues arise ever since I installed the coilovers. Due to rubbing and less clearance between the wheel/tire and the coilover, I had to get all my fenders rolled. I've added 25mm H&R spacers for the rear, which puts me at +13mm. With roughly -3° camber, I barely clear the fenders and have about a credit card width of space between the coilover and wheel. Just wondering what you guys would suggest for better fitment. I would like to tone down the camber to maybe -2° or -2.5°, but then the wheel would be hitting the fender. With that in mind, what size spacer do you think I should run?

Second, for some reason, I noticed that the front driver's side wheel seems to be kinda "sunk." There's considerably more space between the top of the tire and fender on the driver's side than on the passenger side. Any idea why that might be? I was thinking maybe the springs settled in or the camber is off, but I just had alignment done not too long ago (3 weeks ago?) I'd like to dial in more negative camber once I figure out what the issue is, because it's currently at -1.2°. I think -2° or -2.5° would be better, but then I'd need to figure out what size spacers to run (or not).

Third, does anyone ever stretch tires on a 7.5" wide wheel? If so, what specs are usually used? Just a thought; I prefer running the recommended size but I might consider stretching since my car is sortaflush lol.

Last, I've heard mixed opinions on increasing the spring rate. Some say the shocks would be working over time and others say Ksports are aggressively valved and can easily take a stiffer spring. My current rates are 7kg and 5kg front and rear respectively, but I was thinking maybe something a bit stiffer like 12kg and 10kg would suffice. Lol I know that sounds really stiff, but that's what I'm looking for, as long as it won't be too underdampened and bouncy.

·
Camry Expert/MR2 JR Xpert
MR2 & 96 V6 Cam
1,201 Posts
I know I have 25m spacers and a 7.5 wide wheel with 225s on and I am nowhere near tucked...because I didnt get the fenders pulled...but I also have a +45 offset...try going down to 15s or 20mm..

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
on your second issue...i had a problem liek thes when i first got my Ksports. i didnt tighten them down enough and over time the turning of the wheel backed off the top and bottom nuts, raising or lowering one side. just happened in teh front. i cranked them down and the problem stopped.

as far as stretching, 7.5...you could run a 205 and be ok. 215 would be slightly stretched. this also depends on your side wall as well.

·
MR2 & 96 V6 Cam
1,201 Posts
The only thing I dont like about stretching is loosing the surface area of the tires....I like the handling and cornering of the 225.... dropping down 2 sizes would make the car feel like it was back on stock tires....

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
check out tyrestretch.com for some ridiculous stretched tires. Click on [Greatest] at the top for the most insane stretches.

·
MR2 & 96 V6 Cam
1,201 Posts
Mad herra frush yo!!!

It looks sick but functionality drops signifigantly...

·
1MZFE Marauder
'01 Solara SLE
150 Posts
As I said before Danny, even with stretch, rubbing in hard cornering/full lock is inevitable at low ride heights. It may be less noisy/apparent, but it will happen.

·
Touge Star
2000 Toyota Camry LE
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As you know every tire manufacturer recommends against stretching due to safety issues.
I'm aware. There really is no advantage to tire stretching other than achieving better fitment. On the other hand, there are lots of risks.

I know I have 25m spacers and a 7.5 wide wheel with 225s on and I am nowhere near tucked...because I didnt get the fenders pulled...but I also have a +45 offset...try going down to 15s or 20mm..
I was fine without spacers until I got the coilovers on; less clearance since there's no "cup" to hold the spring over the strut. I may just have to test fit different spacers and see what will work, but with anything less than 25mm and over 10mm, the stock studs need to be replaced with extended ones.

on your second issue...i had a problem liek thes when i first got my Ksports. i didnt tighten them down enough and over time the turning of the wheel backed off the top and bottom nuts, raising or lowering one side. just happened in teh front. i cranked them down and the problem stopped.

as far as stretching, 7.5...you could run a 205 and be ok. 215 would be slightly stretched. this also depends on your side wall as well.
I'll try and have that tightened and get alignment done again. Hopefully that's what the problem is. Yeah, it's hard to know exactly what it would look like while taking into account the side wall height as well. I've seen lots of 18x7.5 wheels but I don't recall seeing many stretched tires.

The only thing I dont like about stretching is loosing the surface area of the tires....I like the handling and cornering of the 225.... dropping down 2 sizes would make the car feel like it was back on stock tires....
Yeah, no more canyon running with stretched tires. There really is no advantage to having stretched tires other than the look (if you like it).

check out tyrestretch.com for some ridiculous stretched tires. Click on [Greatest] at the top for the most insane stretches.
I came across that too, pretty interesting site.

Mad herra frush yo!!!

It looks sick but functionality drops signifigantly...
Form > Function is the phrase right? haha.

As I said before Danny, even with stretch, rubbing in hard cornering/full lock is inevitable at low ride heights. It may be less noisy/apparent, but it will happen.
Yeah rubbing is inevitable, but the stretched tires would help. Any recommendations on what size tires I should run? How much camber should the front have? I'm thinking -2 degrees.

·
MR2 & 96 V6 Cam
1,201 Posts
I would say if youre running spacers then run with hubcentric ones with pressed in studs....running longer studs doesnt make me feel comfortable....I feel like too much pressure is put on the longer studs that they would get really weak over time...I have seen 15mm spacers as well as 20mm...

Honestly bro...My boy has a suped up G35 and I have the Cam and we both bought ebay spacers (of course to same spec as the ichiba ones) and I have had no problems what so ever....just need an alignment and smaller spacers in the rear...I have seen him do burn outs and other unmentionable things with that car and they hold up perfect....I have also done some (things I cant say...right Ken :thumbsup:) and they hold up really well....I can give you the name of the ebay store if you want...they work great!!! Let me know what you think...and you can stick to canyon running w/o the stupid herra frush reduced functionality...

·
Touge Star
2000 Toyota Camry LE
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the H&R ones with built in studs and I have hubcentric rings. But that's the thing with anything between 15mm and 20mm, the stock studs have to be replaced since the stock ones wouldn't clear inside the wheel (if it's a universal wheel with 5x114.3 and 5x100 holes). So with those spacers, you need to knock the stock studs out and replace them with the extended ones that come with the spacers. That's what I understood; a long process just to test fit haha.

Yeah, some people are against spacers and others find them safe. So far I haven't had any problems either, but I'm sure it does put more stress on the suspension components and affects the suspension geometry. As far as canyon running goes, I'd have to raise the car considerably, run at least a 225 tire, and adjust the camber in the front and rear. With all the time/money involved, I'll just ride around dumpt for the time being. Low and slow for me haha.

·
1MZFE Marauder
'01 Solara SLE
150 Posts
18x7.5, that's a hard one.......205/35 would likely give you a mild stretch. 215/35 is nothing on my cuz's TE37s with the same sizing.

·
Registered
1992 Toyota camry
39 Posts
Im streching 235/45ZR17 on the front and 215/45ZR17 on the rear on a 7.5 rim had no problems but work at a tire shop currently so if there was a problem it could be fixed easy. Stock suspention and align.

·
Touge Star
2000 Toyota Camry LE
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
18x7.5, that's a hard one.......205/35 would likely give you a mild stretch. 215/35 is nothing on my cuz's TE37s with the same sizing.
Yeah, I think 215 and 225 are the recommended sizes for the 7.5" wide wheel. But if I run a 35 series, I think that would throw off my speedo according to the tire calculator.

Im streching 235/45ZR17 on the front and 215/45ZR17 on the rear on a 7.5 rim had no problems but work at a tire shop currently so if there was a problem it could be fixed easy. Stock suspention and align.
Any pics? It's hard to compare the 17" vs. 18" wheels but maybe it could give me a better idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts