Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new to this forum and appreciate your help. Sorry if my questions are too basic.

Trying to help my Son, as huge birthday present, to pick out new wheels for his 2002 Tacoma PreRunner Xtr Cab, TRD. Stock wheels are 16" alloy and 265/70-16 tires.

I'd like to either keep 16" or go to 17", but am getting confliciting advice about wheels that will fit properly. No problem with bold patterns, but wheel opening size seems to be an issue. I realize a bunch of wheels will fit, but have been told that they should be "hub-centric" or fit the wheel hubs exactly without spacer rings. I can't seem to get a straight answer for wheel people about this regarding his truck model.

Does anyone know the hub size? According to the "Tire Rack" people, they say the hub is different from the Tundra models, but the stock wheels they indicate for the Tundra are the same stock number as my Son's 16" Tacoma (they tell me that his wheels are 15", but clearly they are not).

Any recommendations on wheels that will be a proper fit? Weld Evos? Centerline?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
'20 gray crewcab 4x4; sold '09 access cab 4x4, '94 T100 4x4, '85 4x4, '82 2x4 pickup
500 Posts
There is an earlier thread on this forum about a balancing problem on a Tundra. According to one of the guys Toyota says the tires are supposed to be balanced on a machine that centers the tires on the hole pattern, not on the hub opening. That tells me that the hub opening is not critical as long as it is large enough to fit. I would go with a rim that fits the hole pattern.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts