Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I posted a thread for cleaning and protecting my clearcoated Truck rims,I claybared and sealed twice and added wax. I came across a product called Wheel Wax that is applied directly on the dirty brakedusted rim,let haze,wipe off supposely it gives a sealant and wax combo protection,since you can apply to dirty rims:ugh3: ?this would be a simpler routine than my previous routine I did 4 steps as opposed to 1 step with this product. Question is has anyone heard or used this product and what were the results,its also safe on clearcoated rims. Two other wheel waxes/glazes required washed,clean,dry rims before applications they were Poor Boys wheel wax,Detailers Pride Wheel glaze/cleaner any opinions on these products would be appreciated.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've heard of wheel wax before but never looked into it, though this is the first time I've heard of an all in one type of product for the wheels. To be on the safe side I would wash it like you normally would then apply a wax or other form of protection for the wheels. I wouldn't want to risk making microscratches on the wheels unecessarily just because I wanted to save an extra 15 - 30 mins cleaning them up.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ill probably go with the Poor Boys or DP brand wheel sealants,I dont like the idea of applying anything on top of crusty brakedust covered rims just doesnt sound right unless someone can tell me otherwise, although there was several people giving it positive reviews on the sellers web. Hopefully these sealants will be superior in protection and looks compared to ones that are designed specifically for the vehicles body,since they are wheel rim formulations. I found this stuff at www.superiorcarcare.net its a pretty cool store with sale prices.

·
Registered
623 Posts
For my wheels I either use Klasse AIO or Duragloss Aquawax. Either sealant makes cleaning the wheels extremely easy. Dirt/brakedust washes off nicely with regular soap

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
I use PoorBoys Wheel Sealant, but it's basically just a thick wax. It smells so good though. :licklips:

You don't have to buy a special wheel wax if you're tight on money. Most any car wax will do the same thing. A synthetic wax will last longer than a carnauba, because wheels get hot.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pb said:
I use PoorBoys Wheel Sealant, but it's basically just a thick wax. It smells so good though. :licklips:

You don't have to buy a special wheel wax if you're tight on money. Most any car wax will do the same thing.
I thought they might be wheel rim specific formulas,that offer better protection against brakedust and corrosion that rims will encounter your right though good protection is good protection as far as wax/sealants are concerned. Although I like the Detailers Pride because it cleans the rims and seals them also(my rims have some dirty creavices where I cannot claybar or scrub out) whereas Poor Boys seems like just a protective coating,I think Im going to roll the dice with the DP Sealer/cleaner and I'll post the results up if it works out good. :disappoin THanx for the responses

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
I use polish to clean my wheels. Then wheel sealant to protect them. I find that a dedicated protectant does a better job than a 2 in 1 cleaner/protectant mix.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Im goin to need a little more sump'in sump'in on my TRD Alloys went to the Drive-In spray wash today(equiped with my own suds and scrubin things)noticed some corrosion looking dirt in 2 areas used bug remover type scruber on them didnt lift alot of it off,did the best I could on my lunch break,NXT speed detailed them and the truck after hopefully the detailer offers some protection till better weather arrives. Thanx for that advice PB on gettin a dedicated sealant on the rims instead of a cleaner/protectant I trust your advice when it comes to this stuff.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Just be sure to get that corrosion off before you apply any sealant. To remove the corrosion get some good polish on a rag and rub it in those cracks with your finger. A Mothers PowerBall Mini can help out a lot too.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Autopia Carcare said:
Stay away from "Carnauba" based waxes for wheels. It just cant stand up to the heat.
Persoanlly I use Klasse AIO or AIO then Two coats of the sealalnt glaze if I have time).
Thats a good point never would think about carnuba wax melting off my rims because of high heat,I've used DP sealant as a base then used Meguirs NXT paste after would you think the NXT would stand up to that heat I think its got all synethetic elements in it ? I've also used NXT Speed Detailer on the Rims today would that also stand up to the heat if not I've spent some fruitless effort today? The Klasse must be good stuff everyone that uses it likes it I'm starting to lean into boutique products,although I really like the NXT line of products alot and they are easy to get over the counter,the Glass Cleaner and Car Wash are great,I'm still not sure of the durability of the NXT paste wax seems to go 3 months max but so do most waxs.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pb said:
Just be sure to get that corrosion off before you apply any sealant. To remove the corrosion get some good polish on a rag and rub it in those cracks with your finger. A Mothers PowerBall Mini can help out a lot too.
Can you throw me a name of a good Polish that would work well Thanx again:thumbup:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Is this corrosion a form of rust or just some staining?

Not famliar w/ the powerball but you can try Klasse AIO since it's a cleaner / sealer. If that doesn't do you can step it up to something like Optimm Polish. It's pretty light so it shouldn't do to much damage, won't dust a whole lot either. Haven't polished wheels before so someone else can step in and correct me if I'm wrong. Having the Klasse AIO on hand won't hurt either. Great for wheels/windows and even the paint itself

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
johnv said:
Can you throw me a name of a good Polish that would work well Thanx again:thumbup:
There are lots of good polishes to choose from. I use Sonus and PoorBoys polishes. Sometimes I use Meguiars. You should be able to find Meguiars polish at some auto parts stores or paint shops.

·
'94 Camry V6/'02 Sequoia
'94 Camry/'02 Sequoi
276 Posts
I've got some DP Wheel Glaze, but I'm not sure I really seen any benefit over a pure wax or cleaner wax. Technically, I believe it should have some polishes in it to activate the synthetic sealant, and I don't see that occurring.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Deviant said:
Is this corrosion a form of rust or just some staining?

Not famliar w/ the powerball but you can try Klasse AIO since it's a cleaner / sealer. If that doesn't do you can step it up to something like Optimm Polish. It's pretty light so it shouldn't do to much damage, won't dust a whole lot either. Haven't polished wheels before so someone else can step in and correct me if I'm wrong. Having the Klasse AIO on hand won't hurt either. Great for wheels/windows and even the paint itself
I think I will be getting the Klasse AIO and sealant kit this seems to be a good combo not only for the rims but the truck body also and maybe experiment with some high qaulity carnuba waxs as a final coat,Im using DP sealant with a coating of NXT paste makes the truck look clean but would like to deepen up this light Toyota Lunar Mist colored paint if possible. By the way Deviant nice looking Tacoma you got,mines a 2004 TRD 4x4 Xtra cab in Lunar Mist metallic color pretty much stock with a Leer 700 tonneau.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ToyotaJimD. said:
I've got some DP Wheel Glaze, but I'm not sure I really seen any benefit over a pure wax or cleaner wax. Technically, I believe it should have some polishes in it to activate the synthetic sealant, and I don't see that occurring.
Thanx for that info Jim I was thinking of getting that glaze but if it doesnt rate better than standard wax why bother,the ad for the DP Glazes says it cleans and protects without ABRASIVES so I dont know what they use for the cleaning action part,and maximum protection benefit comes from weekly applications.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts