Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Canadian version) W/Premium Package
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some winter tires and will be putting them on the factory wheels since they have some curb rash.

Trying to find some used 18*7.5 OEM wheels seems impossible for when I swap wheels. Ordering wheels online shipping is insane. All the Direct Toyota fit 18" wheels I see are all 8" wide. Since the all season tires that came with the car are almost new I'm wondering how the 225/45R18's will fit and ride on 8" wide wheels and what the actual clearance would be. Rubber and rims are expensive up here and the rubber I have will probably die from old age before wear be a shame to swap them.

I'm in no hurry spring is far away but any advice or opinion especially from personal experience would be greatly appreciated

2013 Avalon Limited

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I had read that the tires fit 7" - 8.5" wide rims but more worried about how and if the extra stretch on the low profile tire will affect the ride. Can't seem to find the specs regarding hub face to suspension clearance and ideal offset if going from 7.5" 40mm offset to 8" width. I'm the need to know all the details kind of guy.

·
Registered
2013 XLE Touring V6
330 Posts
IMHO, I think that you would benefit more by going with smaller rims and narrower tires for the winter months. Narrower tires have an easier time cutting through the snow to the pavement. Higher profile tires will also give you a better chance of surviving the impacts from potholes. Personally, I went with 16 x 6.5" steel rims for the winter (215/60R16). I too had curb rash on all four of my 18" rims (rash from original owner). When I initially switched to the winter setup, I had the original rims refinished and powder coated. They look like new and have a better/stronger finish than original.

To answer your question regarding the 8" width rim instead of 7.5", you may find that a +35 offset instead of the stock +40 will better suit you. That being said, standard offset should still work, it's just that the rim will be closer to the suspension (less clearance). Having the wider rim with the 225/45s will expose your rims to curb damage a little more than the 7.5" too. The ride difference should be negligible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMHO, I think that you would benefit more by going with smaller rims and narrower tires for the winter months. Narrower tires have an easier time cutting through the snow to the pavement. Higher profile tires will also give you a better chance of surviving the impacts from potholes. Personally, I went with 16 x 6.5" steel rims for the winter (215/60R16). I too had curb rash on all four of my 18" rims (rash from original owner). When I initially switched to the winter setup, I had the original rims refinished and powder coated. They look like new and have a better/stronger finish than original.

To answer your question regarding the 8" width rim instead of 7.5", you may find that a +35 offset instead of the stock +40 will better suit you. That being said, standard offset should still work, it's just that the rim will be closer to the suspension (less clearance). Having the wider rim with the 225/45s will expose your rims to curb damage a little more than the 7.5" too. The ride difference should be negligible.
Thanks for the great advice. Stuck with 225/45R18 Michelin winter tires. My first plan was to try and find some 17 x 7 rims for winter but the Michelin's in my spec size came on clearance and I jumped the gun. Still safer than all season all year long as many folks do around here. I wanted them more for the ice than the snow. We get drift here in the prairies but we normally get in one winter what they get on the east coast in one snowfall.

·
Registered
2013 XLE Touring V6
330 Posts
Stuck with 225/45R18 Michelin winter tires......Still safer than all season all year long
Fair Enough. I agree with you... The winter Michelins will still be an improvement over "all season" tires in the cold. All season tires get to be like hockey pucks when it gets too cold. Safe travels!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You got that right! Not sure I'd try driving these ecopia low profile tires in -30C and colder winters we get here. I do like the fact that the tires have an XL rating considering the low profile. Might make the ride a bit rougher but shouldn't be too bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts