Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Camry XLE
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey TYN! First off I just want to say, I konw! Use search and check through previous threads. Ive been doing that and I still get mixed answers and too many opinions rather than hard facts. So I just want to outline my specific situation and get some factual feedback.

I have a 1998 Camry XLE which i am going to lower with a set of tokico struts and eibach por-kit springs . So with my little 4 banger that should lower everything probably about 1.2". I also have a set of 18x8's +40 to put on once things warm up and the snow melts. The tires that came on the wheels are too big (235/40R-18) and will rub without a doubt. I was planning to go for a set of 215/40's but was wondering if 225/40 would work out at all? So with the 1.2" lower will a 225/40 tire work on an 18x8 +40 wheel for a Gen 4 camry with no rubbing and no need to roll the rear fender? Thanks!

3,034 Posts
Things to consider:
For a 18x8 with a 40 offset, I recommend a 235 tire; however, I know you're trying to stay within the +35 offset and given that wide of a tire, I'm not sure it a 40 will sit tall on an 18". As you run lower, say a 235 to a 225, you're tire is going to stretch so your 40 sidewall will essentially be less.
Definitely read up on the link that Velox posted.

I forgot to add that a drop is hardly a factor unless: you're running an offset close to your limit, a wide wheel that barely clears the strut, and camber.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.